Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus and Google Maps Project

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I think because Mark's API allows the user to select what routes to plot. With MyMaps we would have to show all routes, or just a single route per MyMap (which is rather messy). Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Im asking why only allow it be viewed on a web page behind an api and not on all 3 the api, googleearth and googlemaps.
    irlrobins wrote:
    I think because Mark's API allows the user to select what routes to plot. With MyMaps we would have to show all routes, or just a single route per MyMap (which is rather messy). Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

There's no reason why both those aims can't be achieved. Once we collect all the KML files, we could easily publish them either on the same site or or Google Community. We could also combine them into one massive KML file and publish that too. Anything's possible once people contribute.

And yes, the main advantage (as I would see it) is that it allows us to make the data more useful. People can choose which routes they'd like to see at one time among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

I hope this works but I think this the .kml route for the 77A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was just told about DublinCityBus.com.
    It has a reasonable number of routes already listed and has a facility to add more.
    I don't know who owns the site (registered to someone with a French email address).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davecahill

Just stumbled on this thread from Google - it's brilliant that people are taking it on to sort the lack of bus route info themselves.

DublinCityBus looks pretty cool - in any case it worked well for what I was looking for.

One note on the one / several maps issue: If you make each route a separate map, people can search "46a dublin" in google maps and get a single, targeted map back...

Also, once this is sorted, the next step is to start campaigning for signs with bus arrival times - nothing worse than standing around like an eejit at a bus stop when the next one might not arrive for an hour!

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

daymobrew wrote:
    It has a reasonable number of routes already listed and has a facility to add more.
    I don't know who owns the site (registered to someone with a French email address).

oh where'd you find out about that?

time to write him a nice email to see if he wants to share his work, ah googling him you can see its part of DCU project

wow ability to add routes aswell quite clever

he has 33 routes I think, I wonder when he did it, it was just entered into the 2007 DCU MPS Hyperion awards I see via spoiltchild so it must been recent enough, he has the luas aswell, I know that luas and dart and train were done ages ago I have the file but I can't find the link to it. the fille was named dublin_transport.kmz Im going to put it up again under the temp category it was done in 2005 I think so I dont know why it hasn't been incorporated into googleearth's layer.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=experiment&Number=874967

daymobrew wrote:
    Damn, that looks good. Kinda makes my idea a bit redundant. But he might like help with other routes and he provides the ability to add routes it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dutchhippy

hey, I'm working on a college project making a website that will show the locations of buses on a map. I have a full website pretty much working using google maps but the main bit of the project is to make a site thats accessible by mobile phones so ppl can use it anywhere...
    Just wondering what ye think of the idea of being able to view live locations of the buses from your mobile phone?

When my project is over i'll give ye a hand if i can!

(GPS coordinates of the buses are simulated for now of course.)

I am going to write to the DTO to ask for access to some old bus stop location data that they have. It might be useful data to include in this project (or to add to DublinCityBus.com).
    I also heard that Dublin Bus are working on a project for online info. I will also contact them.

I won't say where I heard these things in case the DTO and Dublin Bus would rather the info was not publicised.

he done routes

11a
    11b
    13a
    15a
    15c
    17a
    19a
    25a
    42b
    46a
    65a
    77a

I tried to do route 2 even though I don't know it, most of the routes I know are done, I submitted it and its uder review, see what response It'll get.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    I am going to write to the DTO to ask for access to some old bus stop location data that they have.
    I posted my letter to DTO yesterday (Wednesday 9 May). I'll let you know what the response it.

Looking at lostexpectation's list, I don't know the routes that s/he hasn't done.

the dublincitybus has been updated and changed to http://mkmap.com/dublin
    seems to have done alot of work on the making this a complete solution, eirepremuer describes it as startup has he gone into business?

it doesn't seem to have more then 35 bus routes but again it expects people to get off their ass and add more, still I think not sharing the routes will discourage poeple from getting involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I noticed one of the "Points of Interest" is Lucan - I wouldn't have thought Lucan was all that interesting but according to the map it's situated right across from James Street Hospital so I guess that's a bit interesting.... ;)

City center
    American spelling :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Blackjack

there's been a few posts deleted here - anyone know why?

They were referencing a spam posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Old thread but wondering has this been done? Otherwise thinking I might have a bash at it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Advertisement