Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Really need some proper advice

• 01-10-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Well my school isn't great and the guidance teacher is no exception. He never has time to talk about my situation properly and the little bit of information he does provide is usually not very helpful. I need some advice in relation to getting grants. Finishing my leaving this year.

He told me about "SUSI" but after a bit of messing around on the website I found a table with - "Reckonable income between - 49,841 - 54,240" as the highest but my fathers income isn't between or below, regardless it wouldn't give me anything. Is this strict or are there exceptions?

His take home pay (after all bills) is about 300 - 350 per week to support a family of 5, just a single household income. I'm attending a school in "disadvantaged" area (apparently that's important according to the guidance teacher), hoping to attend a college outside my current county of Waterford but will attend WIT somehow if there's no grants i'm eligible for. Currently looking for a part-time job to no avail but possibility of one looks promising due to the increase in jobs towards Christmas time.

If you could help me find and understand any and all grant schemes that I am or might be able to apply for in relation to (i) staying at home and attending college here or (ii) leave home and attend a college somewhere else in Ireland.

Tried to supply any relevant information but I don't even know what they ask for so let me know if you need anything else, thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

If your household income is as low as you have indicated just apply now to SUSI if you are attending college this year.
    If you are waiting until next year, you should apply then.
    You should get grant assistance if you are attending an approved course and meet the eligibility criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stevefennelly

Sup08 wrote: »
    If your household income is as low as you have indicated just apply now to SUSI if you are attending college this year.

Isn't SUSI based on gross income? His gross income is higher then the requirements.

His take home pay (after all bills) is about 300 - 350 per week to support a family of 5, just a single household income.
    Isn't SUSI based on gross income? His gross income is higher then the requirements.

Where does the OP say they are over the limits?

Where does the OP say they are over the limits?
    "Reckonable income between - 49,841 - 54,240" as the highest but my fathers income isn't between or below

Not very clear but it's there?

Not very clear but it's there?

I see, I just notice my own quote, "After bills" but they should still apply.
    Depending on the families situation:
    Another person attending further or higher education
    How may children, the thresholds vary depending upon this?

If they are a family of 5: 2 adults and 3 children then the threshold is €54240
    But if another person (sibling or parent) is also attending an approved course the threshold increases up to €4830.

• Advertisement

If they are a family of 5: 2 adults and 3 children then the threshold is €54240
    But if another person (sibling or parent) is also attending an approved course the threshold increases up to €4830.

Ah, still don't apply it seems.
    . you wouldn't happen to know anything about a scholarship or something of the likes? Is there anyway I can pay my way through college without a grant, obviously loans are there but hoping to avoid as much unnecessary debt as possible.

Thanks anyway!

There are several scholarships around the country but depends on the school you are currently attending, the area/county you live in and the college you wish to attend.

Try here http://www.allirelandscholarships.com/
    and maybe google a few more.
    Other than that, it's work and study at the same time but it can take it's toll.
    Or wait until you are 23 and living independently and you can be assessed on your own as a mature dependent, but be careful of the criteria surrounding independent residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Have you spoken to your parents about this? Your father is on a good wage and there may be money put aside for your college education.

MouseTail wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your parents about this? Your father is on a good wage and there may be money put aside for your college education.

Of course, he has a bit away but not enough to get me through unscathed or even close if I was to move up the country. Made an appointment with a guidance counselor refereed to me by a relative who went through this process a few years back, hopefully he will clear things up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,759 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Also

The student assistance fund may be of help

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement