Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charities - above the law?

• 16-05-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi there,

I, along with a group of others, are not happy with how a local animal charity is being run.
    Several applications for membership have been rejected and their application fee returned, and I have been told that they are not accepting new members.
    They also refuse to disclose who is on the committee and who is on the board of trustees.
    Is this legal? We would like to help the charity by becoming members and then being voted onto the committee but we cannot even begin the procedure.

Thanks for your time,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Afaik the majority of the legislation relating to charities has not yet been enacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Forgive me for asking OP but given the history of some animal charities and battles with their membership I have to ask if you are giving us the full story ?
    Specifically , are you by any chance also a member of a local Hunt or Field Sports club ?
    I do know that many animal charities ( including my local SPCA ) have specific rules that do not permit supporters or participants in hunting or other ' blood sports ' to become members.

Like I said , the question needs to be asked so that others here have the full details needed to answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

MagicSean wrote: »
    Afaik the majority of the legislation relating to charities has not yet been enacted.

Well, although technically enacted it is true that most of the Charities Act 2009 is still to be commenced.

Why should any charity have to allow you to be a member?

Most charities are companies as well so just check the Directors and Members through the CRO if you're that interested.

Advertisement