Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Received my sim this morning after ordering it on Tuesday!:D

Don't know what to do with it yet though, as I've just signed up to the Meteor €15 per month plan with 1gb of data.
    There's a whole lotta talk with the 48months one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trevortronics

Latest update- have been ported apparently but cant use until I buy membership from a Payzone store as they still cant take paymnt online, see below:

"No problem, I'm sorry it took that long! We are aware of the current inability to purchase your membership online through credit/laser card. Our escalations team is currently working on this and are aiming to resolve it ASAP.

Check out the following link to our website, which posts updates on issues that have been resolved:http://help.48months.ie/home

However don’t panic, you can buy a top-up voucher in thousands of shops across Ireland associated with Payzone and also Omnivend vending machines and apply the credit by dialling 1740 or by simply keying *101* + voucher number # on your phone or using the 48 mobile app.
    However, as we expected some of the larger shops don’t have it set up yet on their own till systems.

Most of such shops also have a stand-alone Payzone terminal which does have 48 top-up. So in this case the shop assistant will need to use the Payzone terminal. The other problem is that staff haven’t heard of us.

Check that the shop is a Payzone outlet (http://www.payzone.ie/outlets/?pid=1) or has an Omnivend self-service machine

If it’s a definitely a Payzone outlet but the shop says they don’t sell 48 top-up, ask the staff member to use the pink Payzone terminal and check under mobile top-up .

Bit complicated I know, but that’s only because we are brand new, but it will eventually get much easier to purchase a top up! Hope this helps, but if you have any other issues please drop us another ticket!"

Getting quick responses but they launched this product to early !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

They have a list of payzone outlets... why not send a letter to each advising the shops of the new company? Save alot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

because underpaid staff member won't be updated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

They were in the college again today. I asked one of the girls about being people being asked to copy their passport as proof of i.d, she said that wont happen as its for anyone.

My gripe is, why do you have to lie about your age on the site if the network is open to everyone? Technically because you are lying does that not void the terms and conditions??

Why advertise saying its only for 18-22 year olds and then tell people its for everyone? Is it to create a demand??

the whole situation is just weird and was launched much too early. I dont get why you cant buy membership online!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The whole thing is a bit odd. It looks like a task on The Apprentice, and is clearly being run by the losing team.

...oh. Hang on..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Some pair of hot chicks on the ad though.
    The ad was done real well too. Very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

So did anyone over 22 risk their simcard registration by putting in their actualy date of birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

The whole thing is a bit odd. It looks like a task on The Apprentice, and is clearly being run by the losing team.

...oh. Hang on..

Thats exactly what it feels like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Soarer wrote: »
    So did anyone over 22 risk their simcard registration by putting in their actualy date of birth?

Nope, I turned 18 yesterday, the same day I registered my sim. What were the odds! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 robwhit

Just to be clear. Has any 'oldie' successfully ported over from their network, and are now texting calling and internetting with 48?

Good news/ bad news
    Well I finally found a Payzone store that had 48 listed for top ups - even if they didn't know it until I told them about it.
    Phoned the 1740 number with the topup - and then allocated the money to pay for my membership fee via 48online.
    Now the bad news - my number that is supposed to have been ported from O2 doesn't show - only the 089 number, and after allocating the credit to pay for membership it still shows membership fee not paid.

Comparisions with "The Apprentice" given earlier seem to be very apt.

Watch out for the next exciting episode coming soon ..........

Just been advised that my Top Up is in "the processing stage", "can take up to 24hours"... :eek::eek::eek:

My porting situation is still being resolved.

Good job I wasnt in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jokeman

Oracle wrote: »
    So the card payment problem is fixed then?
    for me ... yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

But there only sharing it amongst themselves.

DOB data is collected by O2 to verify the O2 account holder only, it other words, that they are who they say they are.

If O2 want to use it for more than that, they need end user permission.

Interesting article here about how well the similar Giffgaff, Telefonica owned, are doing in the UK. Other operators need to respond to 48, quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fungus wrote: »
    Interesting article here about how well the similar Giffgaff, Telefonica owned, are doing in the UK. Other operators need to respond to 48, quickly.

Isn't it still O2 though?

BostonB wrote: »
    Isn't it still O2 though?

Yip. Telefonica = O2 = GiffGaff = 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Irishchick wrote: »
    That sounds a bit dodgy!!

Its not really. All the big companies such as Facebook use it for identity verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Other operators need to respond to 48, quickly.

There's nothing to respond to, You pay 10pm for your internet and you pay a €10 membership fee and you still have no credit. As a headline it looks like a good offer but when you take into account it costs you €20 cash for the offer it's not so good, at least with all the other networks they give you the deal for €20 but you still have your €20, I doubt they'll be responding. It'll take o2 a lot of money to get a large enough base to make it profitable. Seems like a waste of money by them when you take into account there going to eat into their own base more than any other. Most of the people on this thread taking up the offer seem to be on o2 already.

Edit
    And who in their right mind would join a phone company in Ireland who doesn't offer phone support. A few students and that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

There's nothing to respond to, You pay 10pm for your internet and you pay a €10 membership fee and you still have no credit. As a headline it looks like a good offer but when you take into account it costs you €20 cash for the offer it's not so good, at least with all the other networks they give you the deal for €20 but you still have your €20, I doubt they'll be responding. It'll take o2 a lot of money to get a large enough base to make it profitable. Seems like a waste of money by them when you take into account there going to eat into their own base more than any other. Most of the people on this thread taking up the offer seem to be on o2 already.

Edit
    And who in their right mind would join a phone company in Ireland who doesn't offer phone support. A few students and that's about it.

What are you missing here.... Its 10euro a month full stop... Not 20euro... Its just 1 membership fee per month, also unlimited calls and texts to any network... No other mobile offer comes near that.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Edit

If you don't use the internet (i.e mobile data) it is a good network. For example I have Wifi at home and don't have time to browse anywhere else I go. As well I think it is a wise move not to have a phone support service as it actually passes on the good deal to you. O2 is completely unrelated to this network and thats a fact I don't care what anyone says.

What are you missing here.... Its 10euro a month full stop... Not 20euro... Its just 1 membership fee per month, also unlimited calls and texts to any network... No other mobile offer comes near that.. :D

€10 and you can just make calls and text to standard mobile and some landlines. You've no credit to do anything else. Might or might not suit some students. I'd presume most people in that age bracket want loads of internet.

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    As well I think it is a wise move not to have a phone support service as it actually passes on the good deal to you. O2 is completely unrelated to this network and thats a fact I don't care what anyone says.

(A) It's not that good a deal, it will cost most people more than €10pm
    (B) If you have a mobile you need phone support. Remember you also don't have support in any shops around the country. If you loose your sim on friday evening with a big weekend coming up your screwed. It'll be Tuesday or Wednesday before your back on the air.
    (C) It's o2, read from the start of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

(B) If you have a mobile you need phone support..

Don't think I have ever phoned O2 or VF support in the 13 years I have a mobile.

I'd have to disagree drunkmonkey.

€10 a month for basically unlimited texts and mobile numbers is a great deal (this one is for the mrs)Don't know of any cheaper, and phone support is'nt needed as I make sure not to lose SIMs on Friday nights. Besides always got a stack of freebie SIMS to hand (;)).

My own phone I want constant email access so that ones on the Meteor €15 a month deal.

Horses for courses really, but the 48 deal is a cracker (once it's sorted !)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

I'd have to disagree drunkmonkey.

€10 a month for basically unlimited texts and mobile numbers is a great deal (this one is for the mrs)Don't know of any cheaper, and phone support is'nt needed as I make sure not to lose SIMs on Friday nights. Besides always got a stack of freebie SIMS to hand (;)).

My own phone I want constant email access so that ones on the Meteor €15 a month deal.

Horses for courses really, but the 48 deal is a cracker (once it's sorted !)

Well said.... I think the monkey is drunk....:D

@DrunkMonkey, I share a lot of your concerns about the 48 product. I agree with many of your points as well.

However, I think you need to remember that it is both a poor value product and a good value product.

It is a poor value product if:
    1) You want to use data. Which rules out most young people these days.
    2) You make international calls. Which rules out our many foreign nationals.
    3) You love webtexts.
    4) You call landlines in a heavy manner.
    5) If you cannot get around their age discrimination.

It is great value product if:
    1) You don't fall into the above categories and just use your phone for domestic calls and domestic texts.

There are more than a few people who still fall into the above category. Although it is increasingly a smaller sub set of the population.

@DrunkMonkey, I share a lot of your concerns about the 48 product. I agree with many of your points as well.

However, I think you need to remember that it is both a poor value product and a good value product.

It is a poor value product if:
    1) You want to use data. Which rules out most young people these days.
    Agreed - but the Mrs wouldn't know how to use it anyway

2) You make international calls. Which rules out our many foreign nationals.

3) You love webtexts.
    Disagree - why would you use webtext when you can use the text allowance

4) You call landlines in a heavy manner.
    Agreed - but who phones landlines often nowadays

5) If you cannot get around their age discrimination.
    Irrelevant in my experience

It is great value product if:
    1) You don't fall into the above categories and just use your phone for domestic calls and domestic texts.

There are more than a few people who still fall into the above category. Although it is increasingly a smaller sub set of the population.

:)

• Advertisement

@trevortronics, in reply to your edited quote ....
    1) Glad you agree
    2) Glad you agree
    3) People in offices who are at a computer all day and don't want to draw attention to the fact that they are using their phone !! It really happens.
    4) Glad you agree
    5) It is not just about you !! I said, if you cant get around the age discrimination. Some people have been asked for passport scans.

Advertisement