Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to put your handbag when driving?

• 02-10-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Just wondering what all the ladies do with their handbag when they're driving.

I've only really started driving so the most obvious place to me seemed to be on the floor on the passenger side, tucked to the front or back as much as possible. And I always lock the doors when I get in the car.

I've heard of some people putting theirs in the boot...which I thought was weird.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Used to put it in passenger side on the floor. One day someone broke passenger side window and stole it. Now it is always in the boot... I dont think that is weird......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

beachbabe wrote: »
    Used to put it in passenger side on the floor. One day someone broke passenger side window and stole it. Now it is always in the boot... I dont think that is weird......

It just seems so far away! Don't like not having it to hand.

Suppose it's better than having it stolen though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I leave mine just under my legs on the floor whilst driving - Im quite tall so no probs with it getting tangled in pedals or anything, yet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

I leave mine just under my legs on the floor whilst driving - Im quite tall so no probs with it getting tangled in pedals or anything, yet :rolleyes:

+100
    I do that too, and always push it further back so on the off chance that some scumbag might smah my window, they will haee trouble getting it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Passenger side, I can't drive without a licensed driver with me, so there's always legs between the window and my bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Katie23

I always put mine on the passenger side floor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Katie23 wrote: »
    I always put mine on the passenger side floor.

Same here if driving alone, most of my driving is between offices in work and on motorways/at speed so hard to break in.

In Dublin, if I have to drive there, I keep my bag behind the drivers seat almost under it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

I hang mine off that big stickie out thing in the middle with numbers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I leave mine just under my legs on the floor whilst driving

That seems pretty dodgey and unsafe imo.
    I just keep mine on the passenger floor. Dont drive in the city much but doors are always locked when i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

maybe im totally wrong, but is that not dangerous?? Imagine it somehow wedged itself under your brake pedal, and you couldnt brake?? Im probably gone a bit ott there but I would feel extremely weird about having any foreign objects under my legs (no smart comments please!!;)) when driving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

peanuthead wrote: »
    maybe im totally wrong, but is that not dangerous?? Imagine it somehow wedged itself under your brake pedal, and you couldnt brake?? Im probably gone a bit ott there but I would feel extremely weird about having any foreign objects under my legs (no smart comments please!!;)) when driving.

Agreed I am tall and have a 34 inch inside leg, but I'm not going to impede my driving ability with my bag on the floor of my seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'm just starting to drive so I always put it under the legs of the person accompanying me. My mam's always telling me to put it in the boot but for some reason that just doesn't make sense to me.... I like having my bag to hand!

My mam puts it under her legs while she drives. I must try that...

I can't even bear the thought of putting the bag on the driver's side. Even if I had pushed it well back under the seat I would be far too scared that a strap or handle would be dislodged and get caught on a pedal or my foot.

My gran nearly went through the window of a shop last year cause her open-toed sandal got caught on the accelerator. Only that a bollard was in the way she would have done some serious damage. So now I'm totally paranoid about keeping things/straps/handles away from my feet and the pedals.

Alicat wrote: »
    I can't even bear the thought of putting the bag on the driver's side. Even if I had pushed it well back under the seat I would be far too scared that a strap or handle would be dislodged and get caught on a pedal or my foot.

My gran nearly went through the window of a shop last year cause her open-toed sandal got caught on the accelerator. Only that a bollard was in the way she would have done some serious damage. So now I'm totally paranoid about keeping things/straps/handles away from my feet and the pedals.

+1

I couldnt do it either, and I cant believe people think its a good idea!! Although what I also cant believe is that people would actually break into a car while there is someone in it!! I know it happens but I think its crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I like bags with a long shoulder strap, so I generally leave it on the floor of the passenger side, but have the strap held in by my seatbelt. Not saying someone couldn't pull hard enough to break the strap, but if they're going for a quick snatch they're unlikely to be pulling that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

no way would i leave it under my feet!! was driving a few years ago and coming up to a roundabout that you rarely have to stop at, its one of those small pointless kind of ones! and a car came so i went to brake and a bottle rolled from the back of the car in under the seat and under the pedals and the brake couldnt be pressed!! luckily i wasnt going too fast and i did poke it out in time with my foot!! but after that no way would i have anything on my side! even if someone puts something on the back seat i make sure its on the passengers side so that if something rolls it wont go under the pedal again....

you think it wont happen but it has and if something rolls under the brake you might not have time to get it out.. be careful! id rather have my bag stolen than be killed or worse kill someone else!

+1

I couldnt do it either, and I cant believe people think its a good idea!! Although what I also cant believe is that people would actually break into a car while there is someone in it!! I know it happens but I think its crazy!!

Scumbags will do sh!tty things like that!

My OH told me last week that the latest thing these scummers are doing around certain parts of Dublin is watching out for people(mainly women) stopped at junctions or traffic lights who have their window open. They throw a live rat in the window on your lap, you panic/scream and get out of the car shrieking and the scumbag jumps into your car and drives off!

My OH told me last week that the latest thing these scummers are doing around certain parts of Dublin is watching out for people(mainly women) stopped at junctions or traffic lights who have their window open. They throw a live rat in the window on your lap, you panic/scream and get out of the car shrieking and the scumbag jumps into your car and drives off!

what:eek:

oh my god!

oh my god, in what parts of dublin is that happening in??? I bet its right where i live!!

oh my god, in what parts of dublin is that happening in??? I bet its right where i live!!

:eek::eek: im moving to dublin next week... ahem.... wont be bringing my car though so il be ok!

what are the chances of getting your bag robbed in dub city while walking along the main streets, grafton, o connell etc??? im always paranoid about that..

• Advertisement

what:eek:

oh my god!

He didn't tell me. I didn't even think to ask actually as I was too shocked! So I made a resolution that if anyone ever manages to throw a rat in my car I'll scream but try to keep driving a few hundred metres down the road until I'm well away :pac: (yeah right, I'd never manage it!)

just walking down the street? I dont know, I would say slim, as there are always alot of bodies around. But I dont really know. It has never happened to me, although some of the people who are on the streets at night begging can sometimes get a bit too close to you, I saw them talking to one guy once, and after they went round the corner he realised they had picpocketed his mobile phone!!!!
    Seems that nowadays theyre not interested in robbing handbags, there going around stabbing eachother instead!!

but in all honesty, its like anywhere, you have to be careful during the day, and more careful at night.

what are the chances of getting your bag robbed in dub city while walking along the main streets, grafton, o connell etc??? im always paranoid about that..

Ugh I know :( It's never happened to me but I never hold my bag by my side in one hand, I always have the strap on my shoulder and I hold on to the strap as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

I hang the straps round my gearstick as it'd want to be some giant to be able to reach that far :p Also, always lock my doors when driving.

• I always leave my bag on the floor at the back.
    My dad told me never to put it on the passenger seat or floor because it's easy access for someone who smashes the passenger window.

So it's down the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

+100
    I do that too, and always push it further back so on the off chance that some scumbag might smah my window, they will haee trouble getting it! :D

what cars do you's drive so i know to keep well away from yous?

I always leave my bag on the floor at the back.
    My dad told me never to put it on the passenger seat or floor because it's easy access for someone who smashes the passenger window.

So it's down the back!

someone can just as easily smash a back window too unless cars these days come with bullet proof glass for the back windows?

i'm wish i didn't stumble upon this thread :eek:

I've been hearing that one for 20 years, but have never actually heard of it happening - I think it's an urban legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Thoie wrote: »
    I've been hearing that one for 20 years, but have never actually heard of it happening - I think it's an urban legend.

Thank you! It is COMPLETELY an urban legend - I first heard that one when I was about 8. Do you not think that if this was a regular occurance (or, tbh, had even happened once) that it would be all over the news??? It amazes me how gullible some people are.

Back on topic, there is no way in hell I would drive with anything under/behind my feet. That is just madness. I leave my bag either in the passenger footwell, or if I have the top down, tucked in behind the passenger seat (I've no back seats).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah thats an old one, but still, whos to say they wouldnt try it? Luckily I am not afraid of rats but I'll always try to be vigilant when stopped at lights. I make sure my doors are locked and I have the strap of my bag on the gearstick, with a coat over it. If there is a passenger there then it's on the back floor, with a coat or whatever debris is in my car covering it too.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah thats an old one, but still, whos to say they wouldnt try it?

Well, maybe if we all stop posting the idea on the internet, they won't think of it themselves? :)

Advertisement