Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst Wedding You ever attended and why?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone out there ever attended a wedding- and had a horrible time?

Attended a weedding last week...

It started off with the bride being a full hour late for the church...and once she arrived 15 min of photographs before anything kicked off...

As for the meal- no choice on the menu- we were subjected to Goats cheese starter, pea soup, rare fillet steak(no option of how we'd like our steak cooked), and apple crumble.. cheap vinegar like wine.....

Then there was the fact that the music stopped at 1am... and the bars closed-only residents of the hotel allowed into the residents bar...

And there was the fact that there was no atmosphere there at all.. nobody on the dance floor and bride and groom nowhere to be seen after the meal(i know they prob had 'things to do'.. but not to even come around to meet their guests??)

Anyone else have any wedding disaster stories???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

She didn't turn up! :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭coco85

.. oh she turned up alright.. an hour late.. invitations said church at 2pm.. she didn't arrive untill 3pm and spent another 15min taking photo's outside the church before the mass even started!!!....

I know it was her choice to be late.. but i thought being sooooo late was taking the p***!!!.. especially after i rushing to get there on time!!!!

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Cousins wedding in England. Really long service.:mad:
    And the reception was in a local social centre. No meals at all. Just cold (purposely cold also!) finger food, i.e cold pizza, chicken nuggets.
    All us silly Irish people nearly collapsed from hunger because all weddings we'd been to in Ireland had hot meals served at the reception. So we hadn't eaten a big breakfast.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I went to a wedding of a boyfriends flatmate when i was 19. The groom accused me of asking his best man, (who was a 48 year old short bald very beer bellied married man) to come into the public toilets with me and 'bang me until next tues' needless to say i never said that and nobody believed me. My boyfriend threw an absolute fit and the wedding was in a really remote area so i couldn't leave. Absolute disaster. The boyfriend came back years later and apologised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

coco85 wrote: »
    Attended a weedding last week...

Do either of them read boards....or any of their friends. They may be able to hazard a guess as to whose wedding you're dissing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

LolaDub wrote: »
    The groom accused me of asking his best man, (who was a 48 year old short bald very beer bellied married man) to come into the public toilets with me and 'bang me until next tues'
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????????

This thread was made for me!

My husband was best man at a wedding a few years back, he wasn't really friends with the guy any more but he was a childhood friends and groom was friendless. So, invitations arrived with name of registry office and hotel on, grand, day before wedding noone could get in touch with groom, husband FINALLY got through and the story went that the hotel said they never received deposit and had cancelled reception - hmmm! So, we arrived at reg office next day, bride arrived very very late and very very very drunk, so much so that she could barely say her vows, my husband had to pay for the registry office because groom forgot his wallet. Off we popped back to a pub for some carvery - bride in full costume - groom in suit with celtic jersey under shirt - and WE paid for everyones lunch!!!! in comes social services to take the daughter back to foster family - and on goes the party - 3pm and the bride is asked to leave pub as she's too drunk - so on to another pub (I toddled off home about now) - bride - still in full costume - and husband, now just in trousers and celtic jersey dancing their "first dance" in middle of pub to the sounds of some poor band who happened to get the gig that night, next thing someone comes in with chipper for everyone and that was consumed before last orders.

I promise I have not made this up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Ridiculously expensive wedding not too long ago (bf's cousin). The whole thing was totally over the top and full of embarrassing moments. Painfully ones, actually. New money syndrome I think they call it... My personal highlight was when the bride's mother entered the church - to say she was dressed like a hooker from Las Vegas would be complimenting her.

I'd never seen so many mortified people quickly turn their head elsewhere pretending nothing! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Forky wrote: »
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????????

Ugh i don't really know what happened. The guy seemed to have a really unhealthy interest in our sex life. He told my bf that his gf/wife wouldn't let him to anything other than missionary, no boobie time, no oral for anybody etc and he seemed fixated on us. It was really creepy, but the leap from jealousy to complete madness certainly happened that day! I told my bf that i hadn't and it was an idiotic suggestion but he took the bro's before ho's line and insisted i was a trollop. He got in touch a few years later with the usual hi how are you, i of course wanted to know what had happened and he just said he realised i'd been telling the truth and could we give it another shot:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

he just said he realised i'd been telling the truth and could we give it another shot:rolleyes:

And you didn't jump to the occasion??

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭NicheG

This thread was made for me!

My husband was best man at a wedding a few years back, he wasn't really friends with the guy any more but he was a childhood friends and groom was friendless. So, invitations arrived with name of registry office and hotel on, grand, day before wedding noone could get in touch with groom, husband FINALLY got through and the story went that the hotel said they never received deposit and had cancelled reception - hmmm! So, we arrived at reg office next day, bride arrived very very late and very very very drunk, so much so that she could barely say her vows, my husband had to pay for the registry office because groom forgot his wallet. Off we popped back to a pub for some carvery - bride in full costume - groom in suit with celtic jersey under shirt - and WE paid for everyones lunch!!!! in comes social services to take the daughter back to foster family - and on goes the party - 3pm and the bride is asked to leave pub as she's too drunk - so on to another pub (I toddled off home about now) - bride - still in full costume - and husband, now just in trousers and celtic jersey dancing their "first dance" in middle of pub to the sounds of some poor band who happened to get the gig that night, next thing someone comes in with chipper for everyone and that was consumed before last orders.

I promise I have not made this up!

You cannot be serious?
    There's a Channel 4 late night documentary in the making there.

NicheG wrote: »
    You cannot be serious?
    There's a Channel 4 late night documentary in the making there.

TV3 are getting pretty good at the whole car crash TV thing too these days, I should give them a call shouldn't I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Ugh i don't really know what happened. The guy seemed to have a really unhealthy interest in our sex life. He told my bf that his gf/wife wouldn't let him to anything other than missionary, no boobie time, no oral for anybody etc and he seemed fixated on us. It was really creepy, but the leap from jealousy to complete madness certainly happened that day! I told my bf that i hadn't and it was an idiotic suggestion but he took the bro's before ho's line and insisted i was a trollop. He got in touch a few years later with the usual hi how are you, i of course wanted to know what had happened and he just said he realised i'd been telling the truth and could we give it another shot:rolleyes:
    Jesus. You miss them much? :rolleyes:

stovelid wrote: »
    Do either of them read boards....or any of their friends. They may be able to hazard a guess as to whose wedding you're dissing?

To be honest.. i'm not bothered.. the bride and i never really got on and i only went to make sure there would not be a fallout between her family and my family!... bride even told me a couple of months ago that she knows i don't like her!!!... needless to say the traditional kissing the bride at the church door after the cermony was more then just a little unconfortable!

To be honest.. i'm not bothered.. the bride and i never really got on and i only went to make sure there would not be a fallout between her family and my family!... bride even told me a couple of months ago that she knows i don't like her!!!... needless to say the traditional kissing the bride at the church door after the cermony was more then just a little unconfortable!

well tbh it sounds as thought the wedding was probably fine but you have a problem with the bride.....

No choice on food - so what?
    not your favourite wine - so what?
    Bride late - so what?
    Bar closed at 1am? isn't that normal????? and why would you have wanted to stay any later if it was that bad??? and the reason it's called a "residents bar" is usually cos it's only for residents.....

It's their day - not yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Zzippy wrote: »
    She didn't turn up! :(:o

I got your joke:D

I would never do to the expence of going to the wedding
    of someone I didn't like,so ive enjoyed them all.

well tbh it sounds as thought the wedding was probably fine but you have a problem with the bride.....

No choice on food - so what?
    not your favourite wine - so what?
    Bride late - so what?
    Bar closed at 1am? isn't that normal????? and why would you have wanted to stay any later if it was that bad??? and the reason it's called a "residents bar" is usually cos it's only for residents.....

It's their day - not yours!

Just to clear things up.. i went expecting to have a great day as there were lots of family and close friends going...

No choice on food - so what? - did they take their 200+ guests into consideration when chosing the menu.. 90% of people there were culchies from the middle of nowhere!!!
    not your favourite wine - so what?- ok-so what..
    Bride late - so what? we all expect the bride to be late but that was the lastest i've ever experienced... maybe 1.25 hrs is the norm these days???
    Bar closed at 1am? isn't that normal????? and why would you have wanted to stay any later if it was that bad??? and the reason it's called a "residents bar" is usually cos it's only for residents.....I have never been to a wedding where things wrapped up before 2/3am.....

As for my having a problem with the bride.. granted i don't get on very well with her.. but i understand that many other guests inculding our friends and family did not enjoy the day either- and they don't have any problem with the bride/groom/their families.. no problems at all... one couple i know who are getting married soon mentioned that they now know how not to have a wedding!

It's their day - not yours!- as for this comment- i understand this but if they are going to such expense to provide for their guests maybe they should have 1)taken their guests into consideration when planning the day in the first place- and 2) not disappeared after the meal for the rest of the night!- they should have eloped if they wanted to be on their own...

Either way the purpose of this thread was to hear other peoples stories about wedding incidents.....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Only ever at one really bad wedding. It was fine until it came to the speeches. First was the best man, who went on for ages. Then the groom, followed by the father of the bride, the father of the groom, the chief bridesmaid, the priest (who seemed determined to outdo the best man), then the bridesmaids reading cards, etc., and finally the bride decided to say a few words. Now if any of this had been remotely entertaining (although to be fair, the groom's short speech was) it would have been grand. But two and a half hours of speeches was torturous. We couldn't even get a drink as the bar was in the same room and it would have looked very rude.

Never been at a 'bad' wedding as such but one sticks out in my mind.
    It was a 35,000 euro wedding (I know because the groom told everyone what it had cost) and went to show me that money can't buy a good wedding.

Freezing cold church, two hour drive to reception venue which was very olde worlde and pretty but also freezing cold and not very clean, late dinner because the wedding couple were so long getting photos done, ridiculously long speeches, crap band.

After that I decided that if I had 35,000 euro to spend I'd rather do it on a five-star job for 40 guests than a bog-standard bash for 200.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was at a wedding last year of a doctor and her husband, and by god did they want to bring out all the pomp and ceremony.
    At the church when handing over the piece of silver (sign of all I have etc.) she laughed when he handed it to her.
    We went to the reception venue straight from the church, not only were there no other guests there, the place was closed, bar in the hotel was even closed.
    Bar finally opened, it was still covered in empty glasses & ASHTRAYS from the night before.
    Reception hall is then open and we are shown in there to have a drink (about 40 other guests have arrived at this stage).
    Normally all the above wouldn’t bother me but the mother of the bride made a point of coming over to us and saying how wonderful the place was and how the wedding co-ordinator was such a fantastic thing and everyone should hire one.
    It was discovered that there were 4 tables missing for people, so when people went to take their seats there were people just standing up looking at people getting their soup while waiting for their table.
    No potatoes were given to our table (oversight so I’ll let that 1 go).
    There were no table spoons, milk or sugar available for tea or coffee.
    When the main course was over the top table were served their dessert, so everyone sat back and waited for theirs, nothing coming. After 20 minutes someone noticed a table at the back with desserts on it, people then started to realise that there was a buffet type dessert and started getting it.
    Speeches took 2 hours and 27 minutes, father of the bride spoke for 58 minutes and the father of the groom spoke for 45 minutes.
    Because of all the delays people for the afters were arriving while the speeches were going on.
    At the meal there were 2 tables of people (10 per table) under the age of 40, everyone else was a friend of mammy or daddy (there was 280 people at the wedding).
    The band started playing at around 11.30, they stopped at 12.30, the DJ then started and at 1 o’clock he stopped, all music had to be stopped at 1.

A lot of the above could be down to the venue and their planning, but the bride and the mother of the bride made such points of how wonderful the venue was, how they were made feel so special, how everything was about them showed how happy they were with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My story is a little different, I didn't actually make it to this wedding...

I befriended a girl in a job I was in, she didn't know many Irish people as she had come from Nigeria, nice girl, got on well with her etc.. Anyway I only knew her about 2 months when she announced she was getting married and would I be her Bridesmaid.??. I was a bit taken aback and kind of put on the spot so I said yes.. Anyway the following week she told me we were going to go into the Jervis Centre and pick out a dress for me.. So in we went, anyway somewhere in the heel of the hunt it began to dawn on me that she was expecting ME to pay for the dress.. I was dumbstruck, hadn't a clue what to say, I just made my excuses and legged it and told her I couldn't do the wedding as I'd something else on that day.. She kept trying to get me to go to other family functions after that too, she wanted me to go to her sisters babys Birthday party one time, I was nearly going to go till she asked me if I liked my Goat cooked medium or rare.. I don't do Goat :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

.. oh she turned up alright.. an hour late.. invitations said church at 2pm.. she didn't arrive untill 3pm and spent another 15min taking photo's outside the church before the mass even started!!!....

I know it was her choice to be late.. but i thought being sooooo late was taking the p***!!!.. especially after i rushing to get there on time!!!!

Umm, my post was a joke, and not referring to yours! Whoosh... ;)
    xzanti wrote: »
    I was nearly going to go till she asked me if I liked my Goat cooked medium or rare.. I don't do Goat :o

Shoulda gone, goat is delicious! Mmmmm... maybe this should be in BGRH :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

At a wedding a couple of years back, a friend of my girlfriends.

The bride was 24, the groom 37.. average age of the guest was about 60.

The band were playing the usual wedding songs, no one was dancing in the end the played all the golden oldie stuff and the dancefloor was packed.

As soon as the DJ started the OAPs went to bed, this was about 11pm
    so literally there was me,my gf, bride, groom, best man, bridesmaid and about 10 other people in a room that had held 250 for dinner.

I went to bed about an hour later, next day the couple were in the pub and going on about how great their wedding was:D

Maybe it was great for them but for me it was terrible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Maybe it was great for them but for me it was terrible

The only reason I came into the Ladies Lounge (I wiped my feet I promise) was I was looking up something for my fiance and did a search for weddings (it's early excuse me :)), but I think that statement just summed up the whole thing to me, I honest to god don't care what people think about our wedding, once we enjoy it then it's going to be the best wedding ever.

If they mind they don't matter, if they matter they don't mind :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Clareman wrote: »
    The only reason I came into the Ladies Lounge (I wiped my feet I promise) was I was looking up something for my fiance and did a search for weddings (it's early excuse me :)), but I think that statement just summed up the whole thing to me, I honest to god don't care what people think about our wedding, once we enjoy it then it's going to be the best wedding ever.

If they mind they don't matter, if they matter they don't mind :P

If you don't care at all what they think, why invite them? There's a difference between tying yourself up in a knot trying to please everyone and making sure your guests enjoy themselves at the event that:

a) you have invited them to
    b) they have made the effort to attend (possibly taking time off work)
    c) and probably spent a decent amount of cash on (through clothes, travelling, accommodation, presents etc)

It's just basic decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

As for the meal- no choice on the menu- we were subjected to Goats cheese starter, pea soup, rare fillet steak(no option of how we'd like our steak cooked), and apple crumble.. cheap vinegar like wine.....

Sounds like a nice menu. I've never attended or heard of a wedding venue that allows guests to dictate the 'rareness' of their steak. Just my opinion, but if you're one of these people that likes their meat burnt to a crisp, then you shouldn't be critiquing menus.
    Then there was the fact that the music stopped at 1am... and the bars closed-only residents of the hotel allowed into the residents bar..

You're complaining because the music stopped at 1am??? It's a wedding, not a nightclub. By the way, that's why it's called the residents bar!!!! Because it's for the benefit of hotel residents. It also happens to be the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

This is why such things exists as "Bar Extensions". They usually cost about €250 as I recall, but they're well worth it as 1am really IS too early for most guests to retire. But some couples don't want to spend the money, which is wierd, as they're spending €350 on a wedding car.
    The band started playing at around 11.30, they stopped at 12.30, the DJ then started and at 1 o’clock he stopped, all music had to be stopped at 1.

This happened at a wedding I was at, in Ashford Castle. Bloody speeches went on till 11.30, by which time we were all knackered and dry as a bone as the toast glass was long gone but most were too embarressed to leave the table in full view of the speakers to go to the bar.

Then the band came on for one hour, then the DJ did exactly half an hour and the whole thing closed down.

It was a U.S./Ireland wedding, and the U.S. guests presumably thought it was all normal but the Irish guests were pretty perplexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Getting married in less three months I'm getting worried, I can't think of any bad weddings I've been to....

None of you lot are getting invites now:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If it counts for the topic, and having just attended a great wedding in the hotel I used to work in for many years, I remember some incidents....

Three years ago, standard wedding setup, everyone arrives, nice crowd.

The wedding party are shown to their seats, and as seems to be the custom these days, the speeches begin before the meal. Nice.

An uncle of the groom stands to say a few words.

Before he opens his mouth, a man jumps from his seat, over the top table, headbutts the guy straight in the forehead and walks away.

Kinda soured the atmosphere for evening....

• Advertisement

taconnol wrote: »
    If you don't care at all what they think, why invite them? There's a difference between tying yourself up in a knot trying to please everyone and making sure your guests enjoy themselves at the event that:

a) you have invited them to
    b) they have made the effort to attend (possibly taking time off work)
    c) and probably spent a decent amount of cash on (through clothes, travelling, accommodation, presents etc)

It's just basic decency.

If you try to keep all the people happy all the time your going to end up making no body happy, we were at another wedding where the Groom got sick the whole night before with nerves and the bride didn't smile once during the whole meal, really didn't enjoy the day as there was a weird atmosphere about the place. The best you can do is prepare as much as possible, have a good venue, tell them that everything has to be right, have a few people organised to check everything pre-arrival and try to have a menu that people would eat. I've been to a number of weddings where people have had fillet steak but people didn't eat it cause it wasn't cooked the way they liked, beef would have been a better option really.

All you can do is prepare as much as possible and remember it's the bride's day, once she's happy that's all that matters

Advertisement