Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return to County Council grant system. is Susi fit for purpose?

• 24-10-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

When Susi was created we were promised a "much quicker outcome of your application" from Minister Ruairi Quinn.

The Minister for Education and Skills Ruairi Quinn, TD, then described the online revamp of the grant payment system as an "excellent example of public sector reform". :pac:

"Many students have had to wait for lengthy periods for their grants in the past and faced undue hardship as a result of these delays," he said.

Fast forward to Today and Susi could be described as being much worse and slower then the Local Authority service.

On October 23rd 2013 a year ago there were still 60,000 applications being processed by the system.

It showed that of the 65,000 new applications made to the system, a decision has only been made on 12,000 of them with only 3,000 receiving payment. This proves that the system is flawed and is a scandal.

Some people say the Local Authority (County Council) Grant system was better then Susi it wasn't incredibly fast but was a improvement on Susi for sure.

How can a system which has huge delays and is needed by 1000's of students be fit for purpose? As far as i'm concerned its a failed service.

I Believe Susi should be disbanded and maybe a return to the Local Authority system or another system that WILL give students a Quick, Easy and Fair service.

Is Susi fit for Purpose? 11 votes

Yes!
    0% 0 votes
    No!
    18% 2 votes
    Not Sure
    81% 9 votes
    Local Authorities should be given control over Grant Payments
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think op your concerns are completely valid but honestly I think focusing beyond susi wont work and that if there is any chance of reform then focusing on susi is a better idea.

If you set up a google form to ask people their experiences with susi; waiting times, number of document requests etc. It would give a starting point.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement