Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Susi, dropping out

• 23-10-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, i was thinking of dropping out of college and repeating my leaving cert this year. I have the susi grant but am not sure how it would effect this. I think i get my fees paid for next year but only half and then the following years everything is grand? Also if i drop out do i still get paid by susi this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

i think if susi have already paid your collage fess for this year , you will have to pay them for the first year of the new course you do. as for the maintenance grant part i think they will stop paying you once you tell them you have left collage and when you go back you will lose the part you have gotten so far. i could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

SUSi will only pay a grant for 1st year once.

At this stage half the fees are paid.....
    If you are withdrawing it is important you do so formerly and in an orderly fashion with both the college and susi.

UCD FEES
    www ucd ie/registry/adminservices/fees/withdrawing_from_a_course.htm

1. 'Free' fee students
    a) 'Free' fee students who register and officially withdraw with their Programme Office by completing the Withdrawal Form and returning their student card from 2 October 2014 to 31 January 2015 inclusive are liable for payment of half the Student Contribution Charge, €2,750 and half the Student Centre Levy €231 i.e. a total of €1,490.50*. FURTHER, half of the tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. A student will then be liable to pay half the tuition fee for the equivalent period of attendance if s/he registers within the next 5 years in any Irish third level institution. Where students have taken more, or less, credits in the first semester, they will be liable for a proportionate amount of the Student Contribution.
    (b) 'Free' fee students who register and officially withdraw by completing the Withdrawal Form and returning their student card after 1 February 2015 are liable for full payment of the Student Contribution Charge, €2,981 and the Student Centre Levy, €231 i.e. a total of €2,708. FURTHER, the full tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. A student will have to pay full fees for the equivalent period of attendance if s/he registers within the next 5 years in any Irish third level institution.

* If entitled to 'free' fees; if not, the appropriate tuition fee must be paid.
    (Note: no charge applies to students who transfer to another third level institution as a result of a higher CAO offer).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kakidd

Considering that you already got you SUSI payment. While other thousands are struggling everyday while
    Waiting for any reply from SUSI
    I honestly think you are an ungrateful person.
    why do you want drop off college? Is it too tough for you?
    That's the problem in Ireland, people that get things to easy don't appreciate it.
    Yes, I'm ranting on you. And I'm sure other students waiting from susi would be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DiarmuidBoy89

Kakidd wrote: »
    Considering that you already got you SUSI payment. While other thousands are struggling everyday while
    Waiting for any reply from SUSI
    I honestly think you are an ungrateful person.
    why do you want drop off college? Is it too tough for you?
    That's the problem in Ireland, people that get things to easy don't appreciate it.
    Yes, I'm ranting on you. And I'm sure other students waiting from susi would be too.

Its actually because i didnt get the course i wanted so i want to repeat my leaving cert this year. Sorry for being ungrateful because i didnt get my course and choosing to not settle with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kakidd

hey, sorry I rant on you yday, pretty frustrated with SUSI, on midterm break and I dont even have an answer from them
    Well, I assume you are pretty young, only good advice I could give you is : be wise.
    if you drop off it wont be that easy get SUSI again and they wont pay your fees and you might end up in the same boat I am now, struggling to keep on college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Need a 5 year gap to get paid for first year again. Gonna have to get a loan or work on return id say. Educational Loan from the credit union is your best bet and get some PT work.

Harsh lesson learned. Very bad decision to accept the course and drop out rather than just not accept but thats life. We are all young and make silly decisions at least once.

Youll have to pay the fees and support yourself for a year. Expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 flashback humour

As far as I know, if you drop out at this stage you'll be eligible for fees for half of first year when you go back not the full year...

When I first went to college I made the mistake of sticking out a course that I knew early on wasn't for me and now I'm back in college again as a mature student, think about your options carefully and do what's best for you.

Advertisement