Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max size of single room

• 22-06-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know the max size a single room can be in your planning permission? Im having trouble in finding them in the Building regs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭BenK

I'm not really sure what you mean. You won't find anything in the Building Regs about the max permissable size of a single room. Could you maybe give a few more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

There is no maximum size for a room. However the maximum size that can be built under exempted development (in other words without having to apply for Planning) is 40sq.m subject to satisfying certain criteria.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think the op is referring to whether a bedroom is considered single or double.

In my opinion a double bed room needs:

1. 900mm all around bed
    2. space for built in wardrobe
    3. space for bedside tables
    4. space for desk / dresser etc

id consider anything less than 11 sq mto be a single bedroom

design standards for social housing has 11 sq m as a minimum size... page 49

design standards for apartments has 11.4 sq m as a minimum...

both also have a minimum width of 2.8 to be met.

or maybe im completely out ??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

seanhowlin wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know the max size a single room can be in your planning permission? Im having trouble in finding them in the Building regs.

We need a little more detail, are you talking about a single size bedroom as oppesed to a double size bedroom, or are you talking about the maximum size of a habitable room, or are you asking the maximum size of a single room under exempted development?

Edit: Sorry Syd just saw your post now. I was thinking bedroom as well. The maximum size of a single bedroom would equal the minimum size of a double bedroom in my books which is 11m2 as you have pointed out with 2.8 m in one one direction as a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Ok,

I just got the percolation done on the site and the lad that did it was trying to work out how big the waste treatment and soak pit will be. When he asked me how many bed rooms my house will have I told him 4, 1 down stairs and 3 up stairs. So he said it will be for 8 then. Told him no it will 6, 2 doubles and 2 singles.

He told me it all depends on the size of the bedroom weather the planning lads will see it as a single or double room. When I asked him what the size was he said he didn’t know off the top of his head, but they would be in the Building regs.

Is this any clearer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Links to guidance on room sizes have been posted above by Syd. There are no room sizes as such outlined in the building regs, other than the fact that the minimum size of a habitable room should be 6.5 sq.m.
    In terms of occupancy, 7 is normally the maximum taken for 4 bedroom houses.

If it was me I would rather have a some spare capacity within my septic tank/ treatment plant that be at or the limit. There may come a time where it may be necessary to add a granny flat or extra bedroom and you could run into problems with planning if the tank was at capacity.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seanhowlin wrote: »
    Ok,

I just got the percolation done on the site and the lad that did it was trying to work out how big the waste treatment and soak pit will be. When he asked me how many bed rooms my house will have I told him 4, 1 down stairs and 3 up stairs. So he said it will be for 8 then. Told him no it will 6, 2 doubles and 2 singles.

He told me it all depends on the size of the bedroom weather the planning lads will see it as a single or double room. When I asked him what the size was he said he didn’t know off the top of his head, but they would be in the Building regs.

Is this any clearer?

as this is a new build rural dwelling... dont aim to have an bedrooms under 11 sq m. Remember, kids need play rooms, studies etc ;)

some council insist on 20 liner meters of percolation per person. So in a typical 4 double bedroomed house thats 160 linear meters, which is a lot under any guidelines. Aim for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

archtech wrote: »
    If it was me I would rather have a some spare capacity within my septic tank/ treatment plant that be at or the limit. There may come a time where it may be necessary to add a granny flat or extra bedroom and you could run into problems with planning if the tank was at capacity.

+1

I think the average single domestic treatment plant is designed for PE 10, which would cater for any shock loadings from a single house with a factor of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Dam half my post didnt post!

Originally Posted by seanhowlin View Post
    Ok,

Is this any clearer?

What didnt post.

Thanks sydthebeat for that link i will have a good read of it.

And also thanks to everyone else for your advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

The new code of practice specifies:
    The minimum plan area for a single
    bedroom can be taken as 6.5 m2 and for a
    double bedroom as 10.2 m2.

So any bedroom below 10.2m2 can be taken as single.

Link here - paragraph 7.1.1, page 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just plan for 8. Regardless of the actual number.

Remember:
    Guidelines are minimums, not targets

Advertisement