Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blue tit not too yellow

Options
  • 25-04-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have noticed that chest of one of the blue tits that visit my garden is softer than normal. I have read somewhere that the yellow of the chest comes from some worm or caterpillar that they eat.

Could this be caused by the blue tit eating too much from the feeder and not enough "wild food"? Perhaps I am saying a complete nonsense, but I was wondering...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Colouration can vary considerably in many birds. At this time of year, with brooding/nesting feathers can become a little drab and worn.

However, I think you may be referring to this 2002 study.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/269/1488/257.full.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Thanks Srameen, I will have a read later.

I was thinking also after posting here that perhaps it is a young bird and its color will get brighter with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Juv. Blue Tits are actually more Yellow but it's far too early for this year's batch anyway.

Advertisement