Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Support Band

• 08-05-2005 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know who the supporting band\bands are for the U2 gigs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

u2.com was the sensible place to check first.

June 24th Dublin - Croke Park, Sold Out
    Support Act: Paddy Casey, Snow Patrol

June 25th Dublin - Croke Park, Sold Out
    Support Act: Radiator

Third date support acts not up yet.

taken from here

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. asked this in another thread.

Saw this on the U2 site alright but thought there might be some rumours / speculation on a support act.

Don't have a clue who Radiator is, to be honest! Would like to see Snow Patrol but that's about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

My parents saw u2 in the states a few weeks ago, and the killers supported. They would be som much better than crappy radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm going to the 1st night in Manchester : Snow Patrol and I think the Thrills have just been added.
    Killers, Ash, Feeder, Franz Ferdinand, Keane, Kings of Leon, Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Athlete, Interpol and Paddy Casey all have support slots in various stages.
    My favourite would be the gigs in Milan where Ash & Feeder play support - both brilliant live rock bands to get the crowd going.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

basquille wrote:
    Yeah.. asked this in another thread.

Saw this on the U2 site alright but thought there might be some rumours / speculation on a support act.

Don't have a clue who Radiator is, to be honest! Would like to see Snow Patrol but that's about it!
    its actually the radiators plan 9..
    theyre a punk band from the 70's..
    ask your parents..
    they were once dubbed "irelands first punk band"
    their albums ghosttown&tv tube heart have just been reissued..
    theyre actually really good..
    shallnt dissappoint..
    last time i checked,their website is www.theradiators.tv
    but no mp3s for ye..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Ash are supporting on the 3rd date.

http://www.hotpress.com/music/news/2797727.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm happy enough with that... actually quite like Ash!

You think there'll be another support act considering the 24th has 2 (Paddy Casey, Snow Patrol)?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    My parents saw u2 in the states a few weeks ago, and the killers supported. They would be som much better than crappy radiator.

Sigh. Its the Radiators.

And they'll be the best band you'll see that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Ash are supporting on the 3rd date.

http://www.hotpress.com/music/news/2797727.html

*sigh* il be in the beer tent if ya need me...........

Sigh. Its the Radiators.

And they'll be the best band you'll see that night.
    ill second that..!!
    some people jonnie eh..??
    maybe we should start start calling the rads the best/up&coming "new" band in dublin..
    go to oxegen of you want to see the killers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Delighted Ash are doing the support - they're one of my favourite bands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

I heard that the radiators played at oxegen last year and they are rubbish. After paying 80 yoyo for a ticket, you'd think there would be a decent support band, not some has-been band playing at such a big gig.They must be getting them on the cheap!Probably compensating for the GAA robbing so much money off U2.I doubt many people will be turning up early for the Radiators anyway.

Yeah, well I saw them and thought they were brillant. But its all a matter of taste at the end of the day. The second Radiators album (Ghostown) is critically acclaimed as being one of the best contemporary Irish albums of all time, but hey what do critics know. Google it and see for yourself. But to be honest, the Radiators are best appreciated if you were 14 in 1977 and grew up with them.

As for the price, if you're prepared to pay 80 yoyo to see the musical equivalent of Microsoft faxing in the same old bollocks, you're lost in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not a hope of U2 giving a decent up-and-coming Irish band a chance then no? F**king typical.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Not a hope of U2 giving a decent up-and-coming Irish band a chance then no? F**king typical.
    who' a decent up and coming band then eh?
    the radiators have been around for years.
    but this is a fresh start.
    give them a chance like.
    theres no pleasing some people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

moonboy wrote:
    who' a decent up and coming band then eh?
    the radiators have been around for years.
    but this is a fresh start.
    give them a chance like.
    theres no pleasing some people

http://www.gigsmartireland.com/band.htm
    http://www.berkeley.tv
    http://www.gigsmartireland.com/band.htm
    even Turn ffs.

And no, I am never pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The radiators are the least punk punk band. I saw them at oxegen looking forawrd to some old fashioned punkage. They're very tame rock tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 M D hero

lad12 wrote:
    I heard that the radiators played at oxegen last year and they are rubbish. After paying 80 yoyo for a ticket, you'd think there would be a decent support band, not some has-been band playing at such a big gig.They must be getting them on the cheap!Probably compensating for the GAA robbing so much money off U2.I doubt many people will be turning up early for the Radiators anyway.
    :D we never do anthing on the cheap!

Blisterman wrote:
    The radiators are the least punk punk band. I saw them at oxegen looking forawrd to some old fashioned punkage. They're very tame rock tbh.

The radiators are(and always were) the least punk punk band, thankfully.
    We did do 'old fashoned' punkage, in 1977, where it belongs.
    Songs about political corruption, Clerical abuse, pavement hostesses and looting in the town...tame...i dont think so, sonny
    But hey..feel free to make your point of view...we can handle it

Ah, another soul from the Ghostown wandering cyberspace. The lack of respect on this forum is shocking right enough. I've done my best to point them in the right direction but hey. Looking forward to the lost third album and see you in Whelans for *the* gig of June.

And Blisterman, they were punks long enough to record the definitive 45'. Check it out. Dude.

• Advertisement

Check it out. Dude.

Who uses the word "Dude" anymore? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Ugly Dead Boy

Actually I use the word dude on a regualr basis!!! And if it wasn't for The Radiators Bono probably wouldn't be involved in music, bastards they have alot to answer for on that level. The Radiators are a serious touch of class, listen to GhostTown and then try knock them!!!! U2 are just a U2 cover band at this stage, and not even the best U2 cover band, they're stale dude, let it go!!!

U2 are just a U2 cover band at this stage, and not even the best U2 cover band

What are you on about??? :rolleyes:

They've been playin the same **** for years!!!!

Well the setlist doesn't seem to agree with that statement..

'City Of Blinding Lights'
    'Vertigo'
    ‘Cry/Electric co’
    ‘An Cat Dubh’
    ‘Into The Heart’
    ‘Beautiful Day’
    ‘New Year's Day’
    ‘Miracle Drug’
    ‘Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own’
    ‘Love And Peace or Else’
    ‘Bullet The Blue Sky’
    ‘Running To Stand Still’
    ‘Zoo Station’
    ‘The Fly’
    ‘Elevation’
    ‘Pride (In The Name Of Love)’
    ‘Where The Streets Have No Name’
    ‘One’
    ‘All Because Of You’
    ‘Yahweh’
    ‘40’

Dont see how they can be a cover band when they only play there own stuff..

New names same old ****, same riffs, same wanky lyrics!!! Even Larry Mullen came out and said U2 have just been their own cover band for the past 15 years!!!! And as for the Larry Mullen standard drum beat!!! If any new band released Vertigo they be laughed out of existance, they're trading on a name at this stage!!! Too many sheep following them!!! There's nothing new or interesting about U2 and hasn't been for a very long time!!!!

Ohh and the radiators are some amazing band, they will get laughed off stage.Hopefully someone decent act will be added to the line up to get the crowd going before U2 come on.
    Anyone who is going to friday nights gig is getting much better lineup then sat, even monday is better with ASH playing.

You're obviously one the sheep!!! The Radiators are a class band and maybe people might laugh but then ignorance is bliss!!!

lad12 wrote:
    Who uses the word "Dude" anymore? :rolleyes:

I was being ironic. You're not American by any chance ?

Anyway, much as I'm tempted, I won't get into a slanging match on the relative demerits of U2 Inc.

except to say the poor Radiators have'nt an arse in their trousers whereas U2 Inc. can't think up ways to spend it quick enough. You can write as many critically acclaimed albums as you want but they won't pay the rent and you'll only end up with the life long devotion of an odd bunch of people. I have'nt seen Mr. McGuinness accrue any credit in this thread - he's the man in this whole sorry saga don't you think. He had to overcome innumerable obstacles and turn it around into a global brand. He should get an honourary MBA. Anyway, it does'nt matter much now. The U2 brand will guarantee a multi-million euro cashflow of the rest of their careers, regardless of what they do or don't record. Just like the Rolling Stones.

• Advertisement

while its good fun to post a point of view, let's calm down.
    U2 have worked very hard to get where they are today...and they have written some wonderful songs consistently over the years.
    They have invited us (The Radiators) to open for them on the 25th...who would turn down an invite like that...i can see where a lot of posts are coming from..."why should a bunch of has beens, who will be laughed off the stage be on it in the first place" (to paraphrase)...well, why dont you ask U2 why they want us.
    love and peace to all...ps we have to stand up for ourselves
    anyhooo...look out for a new single/ep next month

Advertisement