Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ever been swayed by a thread??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Jakkass wrote: »
    The Christian notion of God seems to be the most rational to me.

Will the real god please stand up?

Doesn't the god you believe in essentially come down to geography in the end, or do some people here believe that they would somehow have chosen the same beliefs thay now have regardless of country of birth or upbrining.

I've noticed that some posters here refer to being saved through finding Jesus Christ etc. Do you believe that you would be dammed or have seen as a lesser person in the eyes of your god if you had different beliefs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

gramlab wrote: »
    Doesn't the god you believe in essentially come down to geography in the end, or do some people here believe that they would somehow have chosen the same beliefs thay now have regardless of country of birth or upbrining.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of conversions outside Europe, or the United States so I don't know what your point is logically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

gramlab wrote: »
    Would consider myself more an athiest I suppose but on the other hand I seem to see too many things around me that I cannot just put down to mere evolutionary chance.

It wasn't by chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Jakkass wrote: »
    There have been hundreds if not thousands of conversions outside Europe, or the United States so I don't know what your point is logically.

I'm not trying to make any point.

If you are born in a christian country, chances are you will have christian beliefs, muslim country likewise and so on. If your family or those close to you practice nothing but their normal faith then you would presumably do the same. What I was wondering about was if christians here believe that someone who is not brought up as a christian needs to become one in order to be "saved". You would undoubtedly bring your kids up in your faith but parents of other religions would do likewise. I,ve no doubt they think they will be saved just as much as you do.

If you read my original post you will see I have no agenda here. I am just trying to understand how people come to their beliefs, whether they ever doubt them, if so what prompts the doubts and most importantly why they think their chosen path is the right one over the many others out there.

Personally I dont know if I ever had a belief so to speak. Was brought up catholic, and like so many others never was put off for various reasons. Dont know how I would label myself now, haven't really found one that fits.

Thought that asking questions/looking for opinions about things I am curious about may provide some inspiration:(

Advertisement