Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The roots of fundamentalism

• 16-01-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I'd like to draw the board's attention to this lot. http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx?archive=1
    Essentially, it's a collection of quotes from the most 'extreme' christian forums on the web. While I assume that some of them are trolls, I really think you couldn't make some of it up.

Now most of the christians i've come accross on these boards have been quite tolerant. I'm not trying to associate any of you with the bigots and loonies quoted above.

But I would like to understand how more moderate christians can 'reinterpret' or ignore the more offensive or difficult parts of their sacred text.

Let me cite a fairly objective example. I will accept that the bible may not explicitly spell out a flat earth, as some of the nuts assert. However, it is pretty clear that the earth is immobile:
    1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
    Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”
    Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
    Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
    Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

How can you reconcile the beliefs that
    A: The bible is the infallible word of god.
    B: The earth actually orbits the sun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I'd like to draw the board's attention to this lot. http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx?archive=1
    Essentially, it's a collection of quotes from the most 'extreme' christian forums on the web. While I assume that some of them are trolls, I really think you couldn't make some of it up.

Now most of the christians i've come accross on these boards have been quite tolerant. I'm not trying to associate any of you with the bigots and loonies quoted above.

But I would like to understand how more moderate christians can 'reinterpret' or ignore the more offensive or difficult parts of their sacred text.

Let me cite a fairly objective example. I will accept that the bible may not explicitly spell out a flat earth, as some of the nuts assert. However, it is pretty clear that the earth is immobile:
    1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
    Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”
    Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
    Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
    Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

How can you reconcile the beliefs that
    A: The bible is the infallible word of god.
    B: The earth actually orbits the sun.

I think it would be beneficial to look at all the verses in context. I don't think that they say anything about the Earth being flat. The Earth's orbit is firm and immovable. It's foundation is set that it travels it's orbit without much of a deviation that allows us all to live.

It is fixed in that orbit, so all the verses would be correct. You have also quoted from Psalms which are known as poetry and therefore are figurative in their genre.

To question A - The Bible is not a science textbook, but the word of God. It tells the story of God's unfolding revelation to mankind and His moves to reconcile the relationship between He and mankind.

Advertisement