Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crank-set issue

• 27-05-2015 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I am having a crankset issue, I have tested by holding both brakes and moving the crank and pedals parallel to the ground and pushing down, with each 180 rotation, the crank moves and thuds a little each side, so its not the pedals or anything else.

Anyone know how to sort this, is the crankset gone, bike is a XTC 29er, can it be sorted with normal tools or does it need specific a bike repair kit.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What crankset and BB do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The non drive side crank may need to be simply loosened, reseated against the BB and re-tightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

possibly but I don't have the tools to loosen the drive, so had to drop it into the bike shop. Is there a tool-kit available for bike repairs, finding myself spending more and more money on repairs and upgrades.

Is there a forum that people use, anyone use pinkbike, its really eating me up having to pay for small things like this. I do all the repair work on my car but not the bike which is now more expensive to run? I'd even pay for lessons at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

€50 or so will buy you a tool-kit that will have 70% of the tools that you are likely to use for a road bike, but the balance will be a bit more specific and you will need to buy them separately, this especially the case as yours is a XC/MTB so it is likely to need a few extra bits. Have a look at chainreactioncycles, wiggle or planetx and you will see a range of 'kits. Take a look and ask on here before you buy anything.

Youtube has lots and lots of instructional videos and realistically all that you need for stuff that you can/should tackle at home. There will always be some jobs that are probably best/easiest done by your local shop, complex headset work comes to mind .

If you are handy with the spanners when it comes to cars, you will have no difficulty with the bike, accepting that you need to be a bit more gentle with most tools on a bike...... :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rothar also give use of their workshop for a fiver including tea/coffee. Some other shop also done classes but I can't remember who.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

bumping this, as I need help identifying what BB I have, the cranks are 9 speed truvativ SRAM, so I am looking for the correct BB, I know I could go and get a full shimano 9 speed crank set for 65 odd euros at the min, but I want to check how much the correct BB would be in comparison..

Here's a link to the truvativ BB's on CR which one should I get.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bottom-brackets?f=4294966756

Here's a link to my exact bike specs.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2010&brand=Giant&model=XTC+29er+2

Great, just needed to sound it out! 68x118mm and 18 euros thanks very much CR..

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

JJJJNR wrote: »

You have an old-skool BB. There's a bolt, probably under a dust cap that holds each crank on, and one of these has probably loosened. You should be able to tighten them back up with a 14mm socket.

Gary

Advertisement