Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building car for autocross

Options
  • 18-05-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,
    I'm thinking about building a car for autocross as I want to get into it but only have a small budget and I'd be more interested in building one anyway.
    The main thing I need guidance is what exact spec is needed on the car like roll cage, seats sump Gaurds etc and what are the costs involved? Would be looking at second hand if I could get them.
    Thinking about a starlet or fiesta something along those lines any help is appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Hi GtSport

The Motorsport Ireland Yearbook has the scrutiny requirements for safety equipment and what FIA standard they need to conform to (Appendix 2). Appendix 85 - 87 cover Autocross.

It might be worth going to a couple of events and talk to the competitors, look at the classes that the fiesta/starlet would fit into. Things like the number of entries, and performance difference between the cars in the class can make a difference to how much you enjoy your racing.
    Current competitors will be more than happy to see more people in their class and give pointers on building a car.

If you are buying second hand items, be aware that some items like belts and seats have date restrictions in certain events like rallycross or rallysprints. If you are building a car it might be worth looking at the regs for these too, just in case you wanted to dabble in some of the other forms of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Some pointers on the choice of cars;

The Fiesta gearbox is too weak. It wont take the shock loadings without a proper rebuild / gearkit. The casings are weak also and have a habit of breaking at the mountings.

The FWD starlets, while are generally unburstable, are grand for autotesting and endurance trials. The problem is the 1.4 Civics and 1.4 Peugeot 106 / Saxo have better handling and more power. All would be in the same class as the starlet.

If you are in the midlands, there is one in Ballycumber near Clara on Sunday if you want to see what cars are generally used in autocrosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GtSport2008

Thanks for your guidance mr potato head that link was very helpful something I was looking for! I will try and attend a competition or two before i start thanks again

ianobrien wrote: »
    Some pointers on the choice of cars;

The Fiesta gearbox is too weak. It wont take the shock loadings without a proper rebuild / gearkit. The casings are weak also and have a habit of breaking at the mountings.

The FWD starlets, while are generally unburstable, are grand for autotesting and endurance trials. The problem is the 1.4 Civics and 1.4 Peugeot 106 / Saxo have better handling and more power. All would be in the same class as the starlet.

If you are in the midlands, there is one in Ballycumber near Clara on Sunday if you want to see what cars are generally used in autocrosses.

Ok I see what you mean I'd like to have a bit of craic too and don't want much bother might try get something more powerful but it's all money! I'm in the west so won't be attending that but might go to the next local one down here thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Have you thought about sharing the cost of building a car with someone else and double driving at events? If you can find a mate who's looking to get started too it might be an option. Plus you could build a second car in a year or two.

That's what my dad and myself did when I started as a junior, and I've been thinking about doing it with a 1.6 saxo/106 to get back to motorsport for a while.

• Advertisement

Iv only one lad that's into Motorsport and he already has a car with his father so I'm kinda on my own, I'd have help building the car alright as my dad and neighbour are good mechanics! I am tempted to buy a car as Iv seen some on donedeal for about 1500 but I'd find it hard to pay out that much at once would love to build but it's a lot of trouble too

They would be well able make a roll cage etc but I'd be afraid it wouldn't be up to standard must look into that as it would save costs

Advertisement