Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rose bikes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Fian wrote: »
    Can i ask a quick question of those who have received a bike form rose?

they come with a "bike box" which I assume is cardboard. I am wondering if this could be used to transport bike by air? Since i will be getting one next week and heading to gran canaria shortly thereafter.

Very disinclined to risk my lovely new bike before I even get to take it for a few spins though. Have not looked at cost etc. yet either. Just exploring options since i will have received it in packaging designed to ship internationally next week.

Would these boxes be safe to load it onto a commercial plane?

edit: Also is there any way to track teh shipping of the bike? Mine is marked as shipping status "in process" I am just wondering if i can track when it arrives in dublin?
    The box is very large and unwieldy, I wouldn't fancy trying to drag it through an airport. Personally I'd go for a good bike bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the Rose cardboard box when it arrived. Significantly smaller than the bike bag I have used in the past. The rear wheel was on, and the seat post and front wheel off. The handlebars were turned through 90 degrees and cable tied to the cross tube. Seemed to be a very efficient use of space to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

They send you a tracking number for DHL the German postal service when shipped and also a link to anpost. Anpost tracking only works when the bike lands in Ireland normally the Portlaoise Mail centre. Mine arrived a day after getting to Portlaoise. Took about 5 days in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Bike has arrived today, can't wait to get home and see it later. Lovely day to take it out for a maiden spin as well.

Hopefully I can make sure I don't end up working late this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Bike has arrived today, can't wait to get home and see it later. Lovely day to take it out for a maiden spin as well.

Hopefully I can make sure I don't end up working late this evening.

Get your pics out

• Advertisement

I have no pics sorry, but for the benefit of anyone who is waiting for one - the bike is a dream.

I am surprised how upright the position is, quite a change from my previous bike, but that is probably for the best since I generally head out for 100km or so, with no particular pace in mind, on my own and at my own pace. Will take a bit of getting used to new position though. I went for 25mm in spacers under the handlebars to give me some room for adjustment, may reduce that to 5mm.

Hydraullic disc brakes are fantastic, as is the di2. I kept gearing up instead of down or vice versa, but that is just going to be a case of getting used to the different shifter. There is a small button to replace what I am used to doing by pushing the main brake lever. It did occur to me that when wearing winter gloves it may be tricky to avoid hitting the wrong button, but I guess again practice will sort that out. The actual shifting was fantastic though it didn't go into the smallest ring on the cassette as it is set up, presumably I just have to adjust the limiter screw. I headed out as soon as I got it built yesterday evening and i wasn't inclined to hang around fiddling with it.

The front hydraullic brake has alot more travel before engaging than the back brake, again I think there is an easy adjustment for that.

Anyway it is an enormous step up from my previous bike. Feels much more stable, much better acceleration and I felt like I was flying along much faster than normal. Apart from the brakes the way it takes rough surfaces will make descending easier/faster. Being on 25s rather than 23s in the tyres probably accounts for alot of that, along with moving to a carbon frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I have no pics sorry, but for the benefit of anyone who is waiting for one - the bike is a dream.

Which model did you get?

jon1981 wrote: »
    Which model did you get?

Xeon CDX 3100 Di2

this one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just got notification that my Rose bike ordered 18/05 now won't be ready for another 8 weeks, suggesting 14-15 weeks from order to delivery. Pretty pissed off tbh, far too long IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

smacl wrote: »
    Just got notification that my Rose bike ordered 18/05 now won't be ready for another 8 weeks, suggesting 14-15 weeks from order to delivery. Pretty pissed off tbh, far too long IMHO.

Oh dear...I ordered one a few weeks back and was expecting delivery around the end of this month. What bike did you order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

That is getting very long alright. Think if I was buying a bike again I may consider placing orders with both Canyon and Rose. You only need to commit by paying a week before build date and with 2 on the go, one is bound to meet its original build estimate.

Its a very German insurance on the insurance way of thing of thinking I know ;)

Koobcam wrote: »
    Oh dear...I ordered one a few weeks back and was expecting delivery around the end of this month. What bike did you order?

Its a CX 3000 cross bike, where they had a QA issue with forks. I'm guessing unless you've gone from a cross bike you shouldn't have the same issue. Once you've placed the order, you can check expected delivery dates, though mine has been jumping all over the place.

That is getting very long alright. Think if I was buying a bike again I may consider placing orders with both Canyon and Rose. You only need to commit by paying a week before build date and with 2 on the go, one is bound to meet its original build estimate.

Its a very German insurance on the insurance way of thing of thinking I know ;)

Knowing my luck I'd end up with two bikes!

I guess the delay is the price you pay for getting a high spec custom build at a low price so I'll suck it up and hope its worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭omri

Xeon CDX 3100 Di2

this one

cmon man put some photos !!!!!! :)

Xeon CDX 3100 Di2

this one

I have the same bike for about a month now. Two minor niggles:
    1. a very noticeable 'buzz' from the internal cabling. Still trying to identify which cable it is (think it is the Di2 rather than the hydraulic hose). Contacted Rose and the only solution they proposed is that I remove the front fork and insert a foam block down the tube to anchor the internal cabling. Seems a bit extreme!.
    2. a noticeable 'shudder' from the front wheel when braking hard. Maybe this is common to disc brakes as you are clamping the centre of the wheel (via the disc) against the friction of the tyre on the outside, and the net effect is the whole wheel is flexing.

Other than that I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Anyone else looking at the CX bikes, or have one? Seen there the forks are causing a QC problem.
    Canyon are out of stock until September (plus a month for delivery). So might miss the first round of the Fixx Cup and maybe a Connaught round.

I'd rather for the Canyon/Rose, as the bikes are ~1kg lighter that the Giants at al. at the same price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

youtheman wrote: »

2. a noticeable 'shudder' from the front wheel when braking hard. Maybe this is common to disc brakes as you are clamping the centre of the wheel (via the disc) against the friction of the tyre on the outside, and the net effect is the whole wheel is flexing.

Sounds like a contaminated disc or pads, get some disc brake cleaner, or even cheaper some pure alcohol to clean the disk.

Anyone else looking at the CX bikes, or have one? Seen there the forks are causing a QC problem.
    Canyon are out of stock until September (plus a month for delivery). So might miss the first round of the Fixx Cup and maybe a Connaught round.

I'd rather for the Canyon/Rose, as the bikes are ~1kg lighter that the Giants at al. at the same price point.

Mine is now due in 3 weeks, making a total of 15 weeks from order following on from their QA issue on the forks. Last update on 27/7 was as follows;
    Rose bikes wrote:
    Some time ago, we sent you an information regarding the Pro DX forks that read as follows:
    Within the context of internal quality controls, our quality assurance department has found that the
    last product batches of the fork that is also used for your bike do not meet our high quality standards.
    We are going to replace all forks recently delivered and produce new forks – for the bikes already
    delivered and for your bike – that meet our requirements to 100%. Because of this, we unfortunately
    have to postpone the assembly date of your bike to the beginning of August.
    We kindly ask for your understanding for this safety measure, as your safety is a matter close to our
    hearts.
    In the meantime, we have pushed the production of the new forks. Moreover, we have carried out
    additional laboratory tests including tests complying with the EN and the ISO standard as well as
    further overload tests. In this way, we have thoroughly and successfully tested the new product
    batches.
    Today, you’ll receive a new order confirmation email including the technical changes made, that is to
    say the conversion of the front axle to a thru axle system. This corresponds to the specifications for
    the model year 2016.
    All advantages at a glance:
    1. Increased lateral stiffness
    2. Incorrect installation almost impossible
    3. Latest technology
    Of course, there won’t be any additional costs for you.

To be honest, if I'd known the delay from order to receiving the bike was this long I would have gone elsewhere, albeit that I've been off the bike for about four weeks over the summer. I'd give them a call prior to ordering to get current delivery times and make your decision on that basis. To be fair they seem good at getting back to people from what I've heard. I'll put up another post on this thread once the bike arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Thanks for the update Smacl. I'll get onto them.
    2. Incorrect installation almost impossible

How do they test this? Do they give it to chimps and see what happens?

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Can someone explain the Rose ordering process? Do you pay full whack at the checkout or a deposit and the rest when your build is complete?

• Advertisement

Can someone explain the Rose ordering process? Do you pay full whack at the checkout or a deposit and the rest when your build is complete?

imurdaddy wrote: »

You don't get billed until the bike is built, so typically about 1 week before it is delivered rather than when it is ordered.

You don't get billed until the bike is built, so typically about 1 week before it is delivered rather than when it is ordered.

Thanks, im close to ordering but just seen the 2016 rose range on bikeradar and debating holding off, my current bike is perfectly fine and there looks to be some significant changes to the Aero model im interested in.

Anyone know when 2016 bikes go on sale?

thanks

Hi Guys,

Bought a Xeon CW 3000 beginning of 2013 and the headset is well worn at this stage.

Any of you replaced it on this bike or know what type I should be ordering ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AtomMcC

Bought a Xeon CW 3000 beginning of 2013 and the headset is well worn at this stage.

Not sure what the correct headset is for your bike but I needed a headset for my Xeon CRS last year so I asked a question on the website. The guys were very responsive. Probably your best bet and you'd be certain to get the correct information

AtomMcC wrote: »
    Not sure what the correct headset is for your bike but I needed a headset for my Xeon CRS last year so I asked a question on the website. The guys were very responsive. Probably your best bet and you'd be certain to get the correct information

Emailed them but no response so went at it this evening and cleaned it up as best as I could. It does turn better but bearing at top is a bit rough (bottom one fine). It seems to be bedded into the frame, at least I couldn't move it so I'm not sure how it would be replaced.

Anybody know if it can or what type of bearing I am looking at ?

See photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Review of the CDX say it buzzes on bad roads through the handlebars, front-end very stiff...any owners agree?

http://road.cc/content/review/155373-rose-xeon-cdx-4400

See my post #106 re. road buzz. This originates from the internal cabling (Di2 and hydraulic brake lines) which goes down the sloped tube (whatever it's called). I managed to eliminate it by removing the front fork and shoving a small piece of foam insulation down the tube. Bit dramatic I know, but I'm happy that the problem is solved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

youtheman wrote: »
    See my post #106 re. road buzz. This originates from the internal cabling (Di2 and hydraulic brake lines) which goes down the sloped tube (whatever it's called). I managed to eliminate it by removing the front fork and shoving a small piece of foam insulation down the tube. Bit dramatic I know, but I'm happy that the problem is solved.

the review talks about vibration/feedback from the road, i doubt the di2 cables are causing the frame to vibrate, they may make noise

kuro_man, i read the same about my rose 2 years ago when i bought it, was worried about it but since getting it i've never been too aware of it, you do get pretty direct feedback from the road but then it's set up as a fast bike so you should

• Advertisement

And my bike finally arrived this morning, 15 weeks after being ordered! More later this evening after work once I get to open the box.

Advertisement