Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting a job because I just can't handle it - is it bad?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I have been given my work hours by temp recruitment agency, and I have agreed with them. I've been told about the kind of work that I would be doing, so I thought that I would be able to hande it. It was a night shift which started at 11:45 p.m. First of all, I was asked to do the job which was different from the type of job that the agency told me to do. The last 2 hours of the shift were really tough. I cut and bruised myself, and I barely felt any pain at that time. So the next day, I called into the agency, and said that I wasn't able to work the next couple of days due to personal circumstances. I didn't want to say anything bad to them, because I want to stay with that agency.

I'm a little bit worried about what they think of me now and whether I would be able to get more work from them in the future. Do recruitment agencies put down people like myself as unreliable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

By not mentioning the difficulty to them you are not giving them the chance to correct things in the work environment and so make it possible for you to do the required shift.
    Look up hours of work, breaks and rest periods etc online at citizens information so as to have an idea of you rights etc.

Check and see whats causing this tiredness and see if other workers are as badly affected. There maybe something basic like too much noise, heat, cold badly adjusted machinery etc.. causing the tiredness and maybe the employers can sort it out. It may be something as simple as needing time to ramp up skills and knowledge so that decisions and reactions become, over time, automatic and fast enough to keep up with more skilled workers.

I remember working in a bottling plant years ago and everybody had to shout to be heard......I misinterpreted the other workers shouting as anger and aggression and thought I was making a pile of mistakes. Only later I discovered that half of them were deaf and shouting had become normal conversation to them even outside the bottling plant. Decades later I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, one of the key symptoms of which is an over sensitivity to noise and aggression and inability to pick up on social queues which most people can pick up on straight away. Noisy environments full of stressed out noisy people was the last place I should have been.

I do not think 1 shift is enough to give to a new job. I would try it for at least a week and also try to fix things that are causing the tiredness. Also make sure there are no outside activities causing the tiredness.

Advertisement