Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice Needed - I handed in my notice

Options
  • 16-06-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,

I looking for some opinions on this.

I just handed in my notice this Monday gone . I'm an Operations Manager with a security company. I gave the existing company ( whom i am with 2 years ) 4 weeks notice.

The main reason for me leaving is my salary. I am seriously underpaid for the role. I have brought this to the company's attention and asked for a raise and was turned down. ( Company profits are up BTW ) So i have found another job and they pay is more acceptable so i have taken it.

My work is flawless. I am measured on many parameters and i have excelled in all of them . All my clients are happy etc etc etc.

My issue is that the company have not at all said thank you and all the best etc. They are being very arsey . I'm contemplating what to do. Should i send the directors / CEO a PFO email. When i handed in my notice i was more than civil and even offered to help recruit and train my replacement.

Needless to say , the next 4 weeks of my notice i am going to do f**k all now .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just serve your notice and move on. No need for snotty emails or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jarvis_c82

Just draw a line under this and move on.

No need to annoy anyone, Ireland is a small place and you never know when you might meet them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You brought it to the attention of the company and nothing was done. Work your notice and move on OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What exactly are you hoping to achieve? It's a job, not a family. So you haven't received a big farewell and a truckload of thanks, so what?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

28064212 wrote: »
    What exactly are you hoping to achieve? It's a job, not a family. So you haven't received a big farewell and a truckload of thanks, so what?

Surely its common decency to at least say to to somebody good luck . I'm not looking for a parade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Strituck wrote: »
    Surely its common decency to at least say to to somebody good luck . I'm not looking for a parade

But you still have 3 weeks to go! That kind of thing is usually done at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Surely its common decency to at least say to to somebody good luck . I'm no looking for a parade
    And? So what? Will your life be better if you get it?

Also, you still have more than 3 weeks left to work, thank-yous and goodbyes are a lot more likely in the final week

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, that would be the decent thing to do, but you're not going to get that by sending a snotty email. Just enjoy knowing that in a matter of weeks, you'll be better paid and hopefully more appreciated. You've very little to gain by sending petty emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Totally agree with the comments above.
    You've still a few weeks to go so you might get that thanks and farewell and a snotty email/letter/comments wont help you at all - as above you never know when you may need them/a reference again.

A lot depends on the company and your relationship with the people there.
    I have left many jobs over the years and in fairness most of the time the people there/bosses were delighted for me and I got plenty thanks and well wishes towards the end.

If you look at it form their point of view - they have to go through the hiring/training process again to hire someone to replace you and initially (and depending on the type of people) that could be what they are thinking.

They may even realise that the hassle is not worth it and offer you what you were looking for (have seen it happen)

Anyway, would just work out the three weeks as you would normally do, leave on good terms and best of luck in your new role.

As always when it comes to employment - fulfil your side of the deal and move on. You gain nothing at all from being openly resentful and you stand to lose a lot.

I was incredibly committed to my last job, earned them a lot of money and really expanded their client base. When I left there was no appreciation and I spent months trying to get unpaid holiday pay and outstanding commission. I took it all on the chin and was just glad that the experience I got allowed me to move to a great company.

Move on, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Thanks for advice guys. Ill cool my jets and see what happens .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Be professional, see out your notice and move on. Burning your bridges is never a smart move in the long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My issue is that the company have not at all said thank you and all the best etc.

What do you expect? You resigned, they are already thinking about your replacement and you will be forgotten quickly. This is the reality of the workplace.
    When i handed in my notice i was more than civil and even offered to help recruit and train my replacement.

Good for you. You obviously were hoping for them to beg you to stay, or say how much they'll miss you, or whatever. This rarely happens I'm afraid.

Needless to say , the next 4 weeks of my notice i am going to do f**k all now .

Because they dont give a damn that you are leaving? Fair enough.

Sorry I'm hungover so above reads harsh. Good luck in new job, don't feel bad that they are not reacting to you leaving better. Just move on.

Advertisement