Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

calex71 wrote: »
    I know it's easy for me to say but 40k souls???? It's absolutely nothing to lose at this stage, also you remember the guy you met after killing the gargoyles? He sells rings of sacrifice which break when you die but you keep the souls, handy if you need to carry a lot of them, and also never forget you can use a homeward bone at anytime to bring you back to the last bonfire.

How is 40k nothing at that stage...? Or do you mean its minuscule compared to later on?

Do you spend all your souls as soon as you get them by levelling up?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Grimebox wrote: »
    How is 40k nothing at that stage...? Or do you mean its minuscule compared to later on?

Do you spend all your souls as soon as you get them by levelling up?

In the early stages, yes, level up immediately or buy items.

Wait until you start farming and leave a few million souls behind. That's great fun.
    40k is not a lot really - shouldn't take too long to get that quantity, when you get to a farming spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

F1ngers wrote: »
    Wait until you start farming and leave a few million souls behind. That's great fun.
    40k is not a lot really - shouldn't take too long to get that quantity, when you get to a farming spot.

Where do you farm that many souls? My highest character is currently on NG++++ and the most souls I've ever had is about 300k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I currently have 1 Million on one of my characters and spent 1 Million on him for upgrades items. I got that much by PvP in the Darkroot Forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I'm playing through as a Sorcerer and finding the games so much easier this time round! Maybe because I was Melee so much I have perfected my dodging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I currently have 1 Million on one of my characters and spent 1 Million on him for upgrades items. I got that much by PvP in the Darkroot Forest.

Ah, I don't PvP, so that'd be it I guess. How many souls do you get per kill?

It depends as when you fight Dark Spirits via Forest Hunter covenant (or vice versa) the level of the invader/invadee is not restricted. So if you are level 100 you could fight a level 10 forestbro.

Generally on average, you get players who give you 10k souls per kill. but the highest amount I got for a PvP kill was 800k (couldn't believe my eyes). You get alot of regulars playing who net in about 20-30k per kill also.

PvP'ing in the forest is great fun, many tense encounters as you can be invaded by two forest hunters and a darkwraith. If you have someone you co-op with it can be great. You also build up your skills while earning souls.

I'd ideally recommend it after finishing the main game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I'm playing through as a Sorcerer and finding the games so much easier this time round! Maybe because I was Melee so much I have perfected my dodging!
    Some of the bosses are much tougher as a Magic build though, mainly on the defensive side of things, but overall I find its easier too. Getting on your feet can be tough as a Sorcerer but if its your second playthrough then you'll know what to do.

The Sorcerer is weak at the start but when you build your magic up you will pretty much have the highest damage per hit in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

The Sorcerer is weak at the start but when you build your magic up you will pretty much have the highest damage per hit in the game.

I disagree, my experience was that it was the easiest start of all types.
    You can literally take the lift down to new londo and talk to the blacksmith in the cell and double up on your early spells straight away.

I rarely play pvp but when I do I prefer melee characters as the straightforward attacking spells are easily dodged unless you have something else to go with like the spell that slows people down

For a new character not used to backstabbing/parries, the sorcercer is probably the hardest to start with though. For me now, any class starting is not easier or harder than the other because I'm used to the mechanics of the game.

In regards magic and PvP, yep people can very easily dodge magic attacks but you have to be tactful in using it or have a backup. My main magic user has Velka's rapier and the Moonlight Greatsword so if someone starts running I generally chase them down and use the moonlight greatsword's energy wave.

Another good tactic I use in PvP is cast Pursuers (when they are relatively close) and then chase them down with Velka's rapier while the pursuers are chasing them also. If they run out of stamina they essentially either have to fight you or take the pursuers damage. You have to keep light to chase them down though.

Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Power Within (plus red tearstone ring if wanted, risky though) can one-shot most players using soul spear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just killed Eingyi while trying to upgrade my pyromancy, brilliant :rolleyes:

Never met the witch in Blighttown and I've already killed Laurenius so looks like I'm stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Big hat Logan has just moved up to the secret library is there anything you think i should really buy off of him? up to this point i've been more or less purely a melee character having only used pyromancy on a few occasions. Am i wasting my time buying off him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

weiland79 wrote: »
    Big hat Logan has just moved up to the secret library is there anything you think i should really buy off of him? up to this point i've been more or less purely a melee character having only used pyromancy on a few occasions. Am i wasting my time buying off him?

If you want the achievement/trophy for all the sorceries then you will have to buy his stock, homing soul arrows can be handy in a pinch but then you would have to have those attuned in the 1st place and I found some of the pyro's more usful' as a melee like power within for example.

Harps wrote: »
    Just killed Eingyi while trying to upgrade my pyromancy, brilliant :rolleyes:

Never met the witch in Blighttown and I've already killed Laurenius so looks like I'm stuck

What level is your pyromancy flame now?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

calex71 wrote: »
    If you want the achievement/trophy for all the sorceries then you will have to buy his stock, homing soul arrows can be handy in a pinch but then you would have to have those attuned in the 1st place and I found some of the pyro's more usful' as a melee like power within for example.

Also, in order to finish big-hats mini story, you have to buy everything you can off him. Once you have, his dialogue will change.

Yep and you can eventually get access to his catalyst which is the best one in the game.

When I spoke to him at fire link shrine he told me he cannot do anything for me as The basics couldn't be taught. I assume this has something to do with my starting class (knight) should I just buy all his gear regardless?

At firelink shrine, if he says that then your intelligence is too low to buy spells from him.

However in the Dukes Archives, when you free him from the prison cell he allows you to buy all his spells, regardless of how low your intelligence is.

• Advertisement

At firelink shrine, if he says that then your intelligence is too low to buy spells from him.

However in the Dukes Archives, when you free him from the prison cell he allows you to buy all his spells, regardless of how low your intelligence is.

Are you trying to say I'm thick? :)

Who is that guy in the gold armour that appears around the fire link shrine?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Are you trying to say I'm thick? :)

well your character must be :D
    Who is that guy in the gold armour that appears around the fire link shrine?

He is Lautrec of Carim. Did you free him from the Undead Parish?

He is Lautrec of Carim. Did you free him from the Undead Parish?

I don't think so, either way he is dead now. I accidentally hit him and he didn't like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I don't think so, either way he is dead now. I accidentally hit him and he didn't like that

best he dies now then later ;)

Hmm odd, thought the would never appear in firelink shrine if you didn't free him.

Yep you can kill him now (which you did) or kill him later. The only thing you missed though by not killing him later was that you get his armor and a firekeeper soul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you dont get a firekeeper soul.

well, you do. but you can't use it.

well you can, but you shouldn't.

I just watched a video of where you free him. I remember going there but I don't remember him being behind the closed gate nor could I open it. In fact, I distinctly remember it being odd that it was a dead end. I assumed it would be a shortcut from another area later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I had a lot of trouble with him later on, wish I'd killed him at Firelink
    What level is your pyromancy flame now?

Just +3, I haven't used it at all up to now but I've got my dex to 40 so was planning on complimenting that with some pyromancy. Seems I need +10 for the witch to appear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Harps wrote: »
    I had a lot of trouble with him later on, wish I'd killed him at Firelink

Just +3, I haven't used it at all up to now but I've got my dex to 40 so was planning on complimenting that with some pyromancy. Seems I need +10 for the witch to appear

Witch? You mean the one in the swamp? I got her killed :( but I didn't have my flame at +10 actually I hadn't met the other guy by that point so I think it was the fact I was wearing the gold hemmed set that made her appear.

Advertisement