Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A very cheap car to tide me over..?

• 18-04-2009 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Like most of the country I have just being made redundant.So gone is the company car.

Just to tide me over whilst looking for a job i was thinking ,instead of renting one which could turn out to be very expensive, that i should just buy a very cheap car to get me from a to b and interviews etc.

Obviously there is a big risk with reliability here but is there any particular models, make of car for around 500 euro that I should be looking out for and that would keep me going for a bit until I find my feet. I have not a clue about cars so maybe this idea is a non runner i dont know.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Toyota Carina. Good car to keep on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

€500 is a bit cheap if you want a reliable car but in your situation I would maybe go for an Audi 80 93 or 94 for under €1000. These really are pretty bullit proof with no major bills or surprises. An old E class merc would be a great buy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

japanese for reliability, old skool toyota or mazda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Corolla FTW easy to buy easy to sell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

nissan micra!!
    just sold a 15 yr old one ..had it for 2 yrs.. no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

At that price judge a car on it condition. You might get a Toyota thats been trashed and a Fiat thats been cherished. You'll only know when you see the car. If you don't know what to look for, get someone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I got a Micra in October for 600 quid, taxed abd tested till march, most reliable car I've ever had. Stickin it through the NCT next Sat and I reckon it'll pass. Keep an eye out when you're out and about because I find if someone is selling a cheap car, they wont bother putting it on Carzone. They'll just stick a sign in the window.

Check adverts for an oul Micra, dead cheap to tax and to run

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BostonB wrote: »
    At that price judge a car on it condition. You might get a Toyota thats been trashed and a Fiat thats been cherished. You'll only know when you see the car. If you don't know what to look for, get someone who does.

The trashed Toyota would still be the better option :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Early Primera's are dirt cheap as well as being reliable.
    I would stay away from Renaults, especially at this price level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You could get a 97 3 door seat ibiza 1l. taxed and nct'd for between 500 and 700 quid if you look in the right place, very good little car for that price and truth be told will be worth the same this time next year if you look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Early Primera's are dirt cheap as well as being reliable.
    I would stay away from Renaults, especially at this price level.

I'd second that.
    And add Mazda 323.
    Nissan and Mazda: Japanese quality without the attraction of the aggresive drivers who murder the gearbox/etc/etc

Lots of mid 90's Nissan Almera or Primera to choose from
    or
    Mazda 323 saloon (the later sporty 323F may have been abused)

Both solid car makes, with understated styling that hasn't dated badly tbh --- that always helps a bit too :D

NB €1000 is like the psychological barrier where a seller thinks the car is still a proper car. Asking less than that isn't a good sign. Strongly haggle down from the 1000 to whatever you can manage though!! Even if they're starting at €1250 or €1500 or something, say €700 or 800 is doable in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

Whatever make/model you choose, I would recommend buying a car with a small petrol or diesel engine. This will help keep fuel costs down. Also make sure that the nct and the tax won't be running out any time soon.

Where are you living? It might be easier to just use public transport.

Good luck with the job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Has your company given you the option of purchasing your company car from their leasing company? Sometimes this is available.
    Given how crap car sales are now, try contacting the lease company yourself with a lowball offer. They do not want the car back on their books if they can avoid it.

You may even be able to extend the lease agreement on your own terms directly with the lease company - certainly cheaper than renting.

Advertisement