Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why cant we have showers like in Germany?

• 02-01-2014 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Quick question, from a very non technical man living in Limerick.
    As far as I understand it, and please feel free to correct me if Im wrong, there are 2 types of shower you can have in your house, an instant eletrical shower, or a shower running off the hot water in your tank, ie a pressure shower.
    I have spent a lot of time in Germany, and there every house has an instant shower, with fantastic pressure. They dont have a hot press.
    I would love to have such a shower system in Ireland but I have never come accross such a shower available in Ireland.
    Is it possible to have such a shower system installed in a normal house in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

employ a plumber and ask him to fit the type of shower you want. It would have a pump which should draw the hot supply from the cylinder via a SEPARATE tapping and the tank in your attic again on a separate feed for the cold.

I am out of date so one of the young lads that answer plumbing questions might put me right.

I always avoided electric power showers as they depended on mains supply pressure. the ones that were fed by the attic were disappointing - noisy and weak.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was thinking about this only the other day, while my own shower dribbled disappointingly onto me. Let me guess, is it hugely expensive to have a shower with power like you'd get in a hotel or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you want to take a long shower with good pressure it might be worth considering having a combi boiler installed taking the cold supply from a tank via a pump.
    If you don't want to change the boiler you may have to look at a larger hot water cylinder and a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

You could also install a 4 pipe system boiler with hot water priority, keeping your hwc and pump, with constantly maintains the temperature of you hot water. And if it does not meet demand you may install a bigger cylinder to cope!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

I recently had a Grundfos 1.5 bar pump installed (I pressurised the entire water system, hot and cold). I'm delighted with the huge improvement in shower pressure, but make sure that the installer fits an easily accessible power switch so that you can turn it off when not needed - they can be bit noisy and you probably don't want it kicking in at 2am when someone flushes a toilet or the washing machine is going.

• Advertisement

cikearney wrote: »
    You could also install a 4 pipe system boiler with hot water priority, keeping your hwc and pump, with constantly maintains the temperature of you hot water. And if it does not meet demand you may install a bigger cylinder to cope!

A W-plan (3 port) wired heating system can achieve similar results but a 4 pipe system boiler feeding a unvented cylinder with 3 1/2 bar pressure at the tap would put me in shower heaven.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

MarkR, you'll enjoy that shower more when water charges begin….

German showers, theres a smart comment in that somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

DGOBS wrote: »
    MarkR, you'll enjoy that shower more when water charges begin….

German showers, theres a smart comment in that somewhere!

Would you have to gas rate those showers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Depending on what you already have in place, it could be expensive, but it's worth it imo. I recommend the Tech-Flow 3 bar pump. Not so noisy, much cheaper than other pumps in the same range and very reliable. My dad has had one about 3, or 4 years in his apartment and I have had a similar model about 2 years now I think. The pump required will depend on how yor home is set up, plumbing wise. My set up is like so:

3 bed semi. Immersion boiler upstairs. Cold water storage in the attic, which feeds the 1st floor boiler. Water is heated by Gas central heating and also by electric element if no heating is needed in the house.

The pump feed water to the cistern, hot/cold basin tap, bath shower mixer, the bidet mixer tap (ass washer) and also the hot water in the kitchen. The cold water in kitchen is mains fed and we have a triton that we use as the main shower, due to demand for instant hot water for lots of people. Of course, the triton is not connected to the pump. The BSM can be used as an alternative to the triton, but is so handy for rinsing out the bath. Great pressure and unless you want run jets, as well as a decent sized shoed head, you won't need bigger than a 3 bar. There is also a part I needed to prevent the pump from getting damaged, which allowed the water to recirculate if the tap was only halfway open for example. It only cost about €15 but keep it in mind.

Here is a link to where you can buy techflow and other pumps. http://www.lowpriceshopper.co.uk/plumbingsupplies/products__keyword--techflow+pumps__rf--guq.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Bog-standard Irish plumbing is many decades out of date. My guess is that we inherited an ancient system from the Brits and never bothered to update it.

Elsewhere in the EU, ttbomk, they use a direct, unvented system. This means that you generally get water at a decent pressure. I recall staying in very basic accommodation in Spain more years ago than I care to remember, and their water was heated on demand by gas. Perhaps that kind of system is now more commonly used in Ireland than in the past.

I hate dribbly Irish showers, so when we were buying our new (bog-standard, 1997 building regs) house in 2002 I specified a pumped shower in each bathroom.

There's an Aqualisa pump in the hot press, necessitating (a) a rapid-recovery coil, (b) an extra-large cylinder and (c) a high-capacity storage tank in the attic.

The downsides are that only one shower can be used at a time and we will probably pay a fortune in water charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Irish and British plumbing is 'quirky' to say the least.

The main problem is that the water mains are undersized (deliberately) necessitating buffer tanks in the attics of houses as the flow rate's too low to cope with peak demand.

Basically, from my understanding of it, if everyone in your street were to run their showers from the water mains there would be insufficient flow and pressure to cope and the whole thing would reduce to a trickle. So, the attic tank allows high water usage to be buffered.

It's a bit like watching YouTube on dial up (Ireland/British plumbing) vs broadband (continental Europe/USA plumbing)

New Zealand used to have this system too, but only Britain and Ireland clung onto it.

Fitting a pump works well, but it's basically a 'hack' / 'work around' to get showers to up to a decent pressure. It shouldn't really be necessary if we had a properly designed water system.

While I know some British people will get highly defensive of their technical standards, some aspects of them are just ridiculously impractical.

I mean, take installing a socket in the wall. To install most continental sockets/switches you use a circular 'box'. So, basically you take a standardised core drill bit, hold it to the wall. Pop the box in. Fit the switch/socket.

In the British system - square boxes that require hacking of plaster.

We also have ENORMOUS plugs by any standard which are now proving to be impractical as people have more and more portable appliances like laptops. You do not need a plug large enough to supply a 3kW heater or tumble dryer on appliances drawing under 100watts and other systems reflect this by having various sizes of moulded-on plugs (earthed and unearthed) depending on the application.

The argument that they're safer, doesn't really stack up either. They're just fused because they have a 32 amp ring-circuit system permitted in the UK (And here to a lesser extent) that was introduced primarily to skimp on copper by avoiding radials.

In plumbing:

Insistance on using non-mixer taps all the time in public bathrooms. Scald/freeze your hands?
    No isolation valves at sinks/toilets in most installtions.
    Low water pressure and unhygienic attic tanks feeding systems.
    The traditional hot water cylinder that we used for decades was basically a totally uninsulated copper tank. Who thought that was ever a good idea?!
    Ugly drain pipes on the outside of buildings running through funnels and into open gullies.
    The electric shower was popularised for some reason too when in reality it was developed to be retrofitted to the large % of British (and Irish) housing stock that had no form of central heating.

The other one that I do not get is that we use a lot of compression joints totally unnecessarily and where they cannot be accessed e.g. underground / behind walls. Where as on the continent all of those seals would be soldered !

As a small country we should be looking to take "the best of" European (including British) technical standards and not just doggedly following UK standards that often aren't exactly what you'd call well-thought-out.

SpaceTime wrote: »

As a small country we should be looking to take "the best of" European (including British) technical standards and not just doggedly following UK standards that often aren't exactly what you'd call well-thought-out.

Err.... Uk regs arn't being followed other than that I agree, logic should always win out.

As for quirky, there are some very good plumbers doing work in ireland that will easily stand up to whoevers standard is in vogue, if plumbing is done correctly it will work no quirkiness involved but as plumbing is a free for all the quirkiness I see is due to bad planning or application.

Get rid of the chancers and unskilled first than have a chat about general work standards but to talk about standards when there are no restrictions on who is doing the work is pointless.

Even if they're not a direct photocopy of British standards they are definitely 'heavily inspired by' them.
    The fittings, fixtures and practices are extremely similar and not remotely similar to what's done on the continent in general. Electrical standards are some kind of odd hybrid of the two.

Biggest issue is totally inadequate water mains. If we'd larger, higher pressure mains, you'd have no need for pumps or any of that messy stuff.

I 100% agree though, there are way too many cowboys out there!
    The standard of some of the work I've had done by people claiming to be plumbers is just mindbogglingly low.

Even if they're not a direct photocopy of British standards they are definitely 'heavily inspired by' them.
    The fittings, fixtures and practices are extremely similar and not remotely similar to what's done on the continent in general. Electrical standards are some kind of odd hybrid of the two.

Biggest issue is totally inadequate water mains. If we'd larger, higher pressure mains, you'd have no need for pumps or any of that messy stuff.

I 100% agree though, there are way too many cowboys out there!
    The standard of some of the work I've had done by people claiming to be plumbers is just mindbogglingly low.

I promise you very little of the work I see in Ireland matches or meets UK regs, for example you don't pump the mains in the manor which I see here(3 1/2 bar directly to the mains) I never would use a break tank for a domestic combi if the water mains is questionable, I would use stored hot water with a decent pumped shower. Since the 60s temperture of stored hot water was commonly controlled by a electric or mechanical means of control which is still not a given here, to fit unvented cylinders as mentioned already you are required to sit a 2 day safety course on safety and pass a test paper to be allowed to work on a cylinder and every cylinder is inspected by the local buildings inspector in Ireland there are no regs so most cylinders are fitted in a dangerous manor.

I am not a apologist for British or Irish plumbing but to judge a thing you must first be honest about what your judging and the comments above are disingenuous to the decent plumbers working here who's graft leads to installations that work with happy customers, the comments above are more connected to the undesirables who have no business working in people's homes.

gary71 wrote: »
    I promise you very little of the work I see in Ireland matches or meets UK regs, for example you don't pump the mains in the manor which I see here(3 1/2 bar directly to the mains) I never would use a break tank for a domestic combi if the water mains is questionable, I would use stored hot water with a decent pumped shower. Since the 60s temperture of stored hot water was commonly controlled by a electric or mechanical means of control which is still not a given here, to fit unvented cylinders as mentioned already you are required to sit a 2 day safety course on safety and pass a test paper to be allowed to work on a cylinder and every cylinder is inspected by the local buildings inspector in Ireland there are no regs so most cylinders are fitted in a dangerous manor.

I am not a apologist for British or Irish plumbing but to judge a thing you must first be honest about what your judging and the comments above are disingenuous to the decent plumbers working here who's graft leads to installations that work with happy customers, the comments above are more connected to the undesirables who have no business working in people's homes.

I also said

I also said

Great minds think alike :)

We had a guy arrive without even basic tools once! He made a complete hash of a simple repair (wasn't here at the time and he was paid about €500+ for it!).

The industry needs proper regulation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Life would be a lot simpler if Ireland would join the rest of Europe in using Metric pipe sizes, but for some reason best know to someone, Ireland has stayed with Imperial sizing, (apart from places like B & Q, who supply a lot of metric), and it causes all manner of issues with taps and the like from abroad.

The concept of a throttled supply made it easier for local authorities to avoid having to rip out undersize mains, and it's gone on for ever. Changing it now would be a nightmare, for all sorts of reasons, and yes, it does cause problems for both hot and cold supplies, the only way to get round it for things like showers is a pumped system, or a pumped house, a pumped shower is probably easier to install, but they ain't cheap, I have an aqualisa digital here, and it's been good, but the initial cost is heavy, and there are some siting issues that can make putting it in tricky. The flow on it is good, up to 18 litres a minute, running off a storage tank in my case, with a heat exchanger for fast recovery.

There are good plumbers out there, but the issue that's causing pain now is the one of electrical work, plumbers can't certify electrics, and with the new rules, if a separate feed has to be put in for a shower, and ideally, there should be an isolator that's easily accessible very near the bathroom for a pumped shower, or on a corded pull switch, then that's 2 trades and the associated costs and co ordination to fight with. Another Irish Solution to an Irish Problem, and we all know how well regulation worked in the banks don't we? Yeah, watch this space.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

Another Irish Solution to an Irish Problem, and we all know how well regulation worked in the banks don't we? Yeah, watch this space.

Heh. The Irish solution to regulating plumbing work will be to ban everyone from doing plumbing work, except paid up members of the cartel, sorry trade association. No exception for home owners. 3 years in jail and a nasty article in the paper about you for changing a washer in your kitchen tap. Usual excuses to be trotted out, safety etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Life would be a lot simpler if Ireland would join the rest of Europe in using Metric pipe sizes, but for some reason best know to someone, Ireland has stayed with Imperial sizing, (apart from places like B & Q, who supply a lot of metric), and it causes all manner of issues with taps and the like from abroad.

The concept of a throttled supply made it easier for local authorities to avoid having to rip out undersize mains, and it's gone on for ever. Changing it now would be a nightmare, for all sorts of reasons, and yes, it does cause problems for both hot and cold supplies, the only way to get round it for things like showers is a pumped system, or a pumped house, a pumped shower is probably easier to install, but they ain't cheap, I have an aqualisa digital here, and it's been good, but the initial cost is heavy, and there are some siting issues that can make putting it in tricky. The flow on it is good, up to 18 litres a minute, running off a storage tank in my case, with a heat exchanger for fast recovery.

There are good plumbers out there, but the issue that's causing pain now is the one of electrical work, plumbers can't certify electrics, and with the new rules, if a separate feed has to be put in for a shower, and ideally, there should be an isolator that's easily accessible very near the bathroom for a pumped shower, or on a corded pull switch, then that's 2 trades and the associated costs and co ordination to fight with. Another Irish Solution to an Irish Problem, and we all know how well regulation worked in the banks don't we? Yeah, watch this space.

I thought we did use metric pipe/tube?
    anytime Ive had to make an enquiry for a fitting or part(even though thats rare) with the odd exception, it mostly seems to be metric.

• Advertisement

Is there actually *any* regulation in Ireland regarding water plumbing fixtures/fittings, pipe sizes etc or is it all just some mystical set of conventions based in common law or something ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The Irish building regs, Part G, appear to specify vented systems requiring a cold water storage tank in the attic:
    1.3 The cold water supply to the kitchen sink should be taken directly from the service pipe supplying water to the dwelling; the cold water supply to the bath or shower and the washbasin and to other appliances in the dwelling should be from a cold water storage cistern. The bath, shower, washbasin, and sink should also have a piped supply of hot water, which may be from a central source or from a unit water heater.

However, elsewhere it appears to be stated that unvented hot water systems can be used if they comply with various other technical standards, especially EN 12897: http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18691,en.pdf

The situation seems to be that most plumbing installations comply with the bare minimum specified by Part G, but it's possible to achieve a better standard if you engage a competent and knowledgeable plumber and use the right systems (sample). Given the popularity of renewable energy installations, such as solar panels and ground source heat pumps, I presume there is now greater availability of unvented hot water systems.

EDIT: I'm off now to check (a) if my pumped shower has airlocked due to excessive use by a guest earlier today, and (b) whether the extra-large cold water storage tank in the attic is adequately supported.

Advertisement