Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tiles stain removal advice

• 21-12-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I've recently installed a Stove and at the back of it I put some nice black SLATE style tyles.(these are generally floor tiles)
    When the stove was being sealed a fire cement was used to seal up the rear pipe.
    I'm not sure of the name of the product, but it was recommended by the DIY shop.
    However, some of the cement got onto the tiles and when I tried to wash it off, a whitish stain has now got into the tile and i've tried many different detergents, scrubbing etc, but it just won't budge.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how itmight be removed,
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Conology wrote: »
    Hi
    I've recently installed a Stove and at the back of it I put some nice black SLATE style tyles.(these are generally floor tiles)
    When the stove was being sealed a fire cement was used to seal up the rear pipe.
    I'm not sure of the name of the product, but it was recommended by the DIY shop.
    However, some of the cement got onto the tiles and when I tried to wash it off, a whitish stain has now got into the tile and i've tried many different detergents, scrubbing etc, but it just won't budge.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how itmight be removed,
    Thank you
    I dont think you will get it off,its gone into the pores of the tile.The fix would be to change that tile.apply 2 coats of tile sealer suitable for that type of tile

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

agusta wrote: »
    I dont think you will get it off,its gone into the pores of the tile.The fix would be to change that tile.apply 2 coats of tile sealer suitable for that type of tile

Tks, i was a bit afraid someone might say that, I have more than 1 to replace I'm afraid, but who knows??? I wont give up yet,
    Thank you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You could just paint them.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    I might hve no other choice, or simply replace them,
    Tks

agusta wrote: »

Hi
    I think I found a solution.
    I used WD40 spray oil on it and scrubbed it.
    I noticed immediately that some black came off on the paper towel so I continued with this and left it overnight.
    The improvement is very good, so it doesn't look like I will have to either paint or replace any tiles at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    Hi
    I think I found a solution.
    I used WD40 spray oil on it and scrubbed it.
    I noticed immediately that some black came off on the paper towel so I continued with this and left it overnight.
    The improvement is very good, so it doesn't look like I will have to either paint or replace any tiles at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement