Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Limerick

• 26-06-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

moving to Limerick soon, where is a nice quiet place to buy, we have 2 small kids , not too far outside of Limerick , hear Adare is a good safe place to live and for commuting, anyone any ideas?

Comments

• ive living in raheen area churchill meadows for 8 years now

so quite perfect for a family

i swear you hear the birds flying by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Depends what you want? Do you want to be near town, in a village etc? What facilities do you want near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gazotelli333

ive living in raheen area churchill meadows for 8 years now

so quite perfect for a family

i swear you hear the birds flying by

+1.

Raheen is a brilliant area to raise a family in. A very safe and quiet area. I would recommend living in Churchill Meadows or Meadowvale. It's just south of the city itself (part of County Limerick as opposed to the City of Limerick), it has a regular bus service into the city centre and you will be within walking distance of the Crescent Shopping Centre and the leisure centre in Dooradoyle. Limerick's main hospital is located here also.

OP, I see you mentioned Adare. It's a beautiful village, but traffic can be a headache. You could also try Annacotty, Monaleen and Castletroy, to the east of the city. You will be near the UL Campus, which is great to be close to, nice for walks and has great sporting facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Depends what you want, where you'll be working, etc.

I wouldn't live anywhere that's far from the city centre though. Bland suburbia (i.e. Castletroy, Raheen) just doesn't do it for me.

Nice areas near enough to the city centre are Ennis Road, North Circular Road, Clareview, Caherdavin, Clancy Strand, O'Callaghan Strand, South Circular Road, O'Connell Avenue, Corbally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

youd want to be near your job,but i would stick with the center of the city as much as possible,corbally is near enough or caherdavin..

• Advertisement

• +1.

Raheen is a brilliant area to raise a family in. A very safe and quiet area. I would recommend living in Churchill Meadows or Meadowvale. It's just south of the city itself (part of County Limerick as opposed to the City of Limerick), it has a regular bus service into the city centre and you will be within walking distance of the Crescent Shopping Centre and the leisure centre in Dooradoyle. Limerick's main hospital is located here also.

OP, I see you mentioned Adare. It's a beautiful village, but traffic can be a headache. You could also try Annacotty, Monaleen and Castletroy, to the east of the city. You will be near the UL Campus, which is great to be close to, nice for walks and has great sporting facilities.

i live in churchill meadows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Same here - living in CHM for nearly 16 yrs. Absolutely lovely over here. Bus goes to town every 10 mins. Right beside Raheen Industrial Est (no car needed - unless it's pouring out of the heavens). Just couple hundred yards and you're straight onto the M7.

It's really quiet up here. Have friends out the country who have said that they'd prefer here to where they are due to constant traffic passing their homes.

Hope you find what you're looking for. :D

BTW Maisie Wooden Sinus - it's Church Hill Meadows :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

youd want to be near your job,but i would stick with the center of the city as much as possible,corbally is near enough or caherdavin..

I'd stay away from caherdavin to be fair, I live there and its getting a little rough and some less than savory people living round these parts, also the schools in the area are awful(barring Ard Scoil, I'm lead to believe).

Raheen seems nice, Adare is lovely but its a bit outside the city centre to be fair

I'd stay away from caherdavin to be fair, I live there and its getting a little rough and some less than savory people living round these parts, also the schools in the area are awful(barring Ard Scoil, I'm lead to believe).

Raheen seems nice, Adare is lovely but its a bit outside the city centre to be fair

You're right about Caherdavin. It's turning into a rather rough spot and I wouldn't recommend it as a place to raise your kids. The schools are poor for the most part, Ardscoil Rís is an excellent school though.

It has to be said that secondary schooling in and around Raheen isn't the best either, but the primary schools are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OP, you haven't mentioned where you will be working....city or suburb?
    Corbally (and all that side) traffic can be fairly heavy most mornings, so that alone would put me off.
    Adare is quite a nice spot, and only 15 minutes from the city centre off-peak....it's the going back home in the evening when the traffic can be fairly heavy as you approach the village.
    If you really want to avoid living in the city (and suburbs) then the main choices (going by your criteria) would be Adare, Castleconnell, Killaloe (well worth a look even with the 25 minute commute), Bruff, and Cratloe.
    There are also loads of other smaller communities such as Crecora, Lisnagry, etc. that are well worth investigating.
    As said a lot depends on your place of work. While traffic has eased off in recent years, there is no reason for it not to increase again in the future.
    If you like, stick up a few houses that interest you from some of the websites and I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback.
    All the best with the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

All the places mentioned are nice areas

Look at school availability
    Access to amenities and

Commute to work

Of more importance is the local rugby club!

Raheen - Old Crescent or Garryowen
    Castletroy - UL Bohs
    O Connell Ave - Young Munsters
    Corbally - St Marys
    Caherdavin - Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Enright wrote: »

Access to amenities and

Commute to work

Castletroy - UL Bohs
    Corbally - St Marys
    Caherdavin - Shannon

That bit about the rugby clubs is utter bull!

Choose the club that best suit you and your kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Access to amenities and

Commute to work

Castletroy - UL Bohs
    Corbally - St Marys
    Caherdavin - Shannon

When I played for Shannon, most of the lads were from Corbally side of the city and county Clare, you've also forgot Thomond for the Caherdavin area.

Access to amenities and

Commute to work

Castletroy - UL Bohs
    Corbally - St Marys
    Caherdavin - Shannon

Well, I'm from Raheen and the club I played for was Young Munsters, so it can vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Access to amenities and

Commute to work

Castletroy - UL Bohs
    Corbally - St Marys
    Caherdavin - Shannon

Maybe the OP couldn't give a fiddlers f**k about rugby? Maybe it's Mungret Regional or Summerville or Aisling Annacotty or Corbally United or Caherdavin soccer or maybe it's Mungret St Pauls GAA, Monaleen GAA, Ballincurra Gaels, or Na Piarsigh? :)

seachto7 wrote: »

Access to amenities and

Commute to work

Castletroy - UL Bohs
    Corbally - St Marys
    Caherdavin - Shannon

Maybe the OP couldn't give a fiddlers f**k about rugby? Maybe it's Mungret Regional or Summerville or Aisling Annacotty or Corbally United or Caherdavin soccer or maybe it's Mungret St Pauls GAA, Monaleen GAA, Ballincurra Gaels, or Na Piarsigh? :)

Where's Regional United?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Access to amenities and

Commute to work

Castletroy - UL Bohs
    Corbally - St Marys
    Caherdavin - Shannon

You also forgot Richmond for the Corbally area.. Surprised you forgot, given that they are a far more successful club than St Mary's :D

This has gone a bit off-topic! :D

We're a sporting city, so you can expect people to talk about sports clubs a lot.

Make sure you get to Thomond Park at some stage, even if you're not a massive rugby fan, the atmosphere is always brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

If its the Ennis Road side of town you don't necessarily have to go for Caherdavin either, there is also Clareview, Mayorstone, Landsdowne Park, North Circular, Ashbrook and Coonagh which are all fairly quiet and you have plenty of amenities in the area.

In fairness Limerick has plenty of nice places to live. If the OP could show some areas they were thinking then maybe we could give a better idea of what options to go for and avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Im moved out to Annacotty recently, Im UL student, the missus works in Castletroy, Im 5 mins from UL, 10 from town, 2 mins from the Motorway
    A 4 year old and a baby, lovely place to live, a 5 minutes walk from the shops and playground and large park

Have a look at the houses in Riverbank, we got a large 3 story house for what you pay for an average 3 bed semi anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Wouldnt recommend Castletroy. I say, as a student, that students make it a terrible place for non students. Perhaps if you need to work this side of town Annacotty would be nice? Or even Newtown Mahon (fake Annacotty as I call it :p ) but Id defo recommend Raheen, great place for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

seachto7 wrote: »

maybe he plays snooker. who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

dont like snooker. rugby not really my thing either.
    i was looking at some house in a development called The Village , in the grounds of Adare Manor - anyone know anything about it? some nice looking homes, built by McInernys i believe.
    thanks for all the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Can you tell us whereabouts you will be working? Personally, I wouldn't move to Adare. Lovely place to visit for 20 minutes if you're an American tourist, but a bit too quiet and far from the city for my liking. Don't know anything about the particular development you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

Langer wrote: »
    i was looking at some house in a development called The Village , in the grounds of Adare Manor - anyone know anything about it? some nice looking homes, built by McInernys i believe.
    Good luck with that.....all those houses are owned by nama....nightmare!!! More t & c's then you'd care to imagine:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Langer wrote: »

Adare has serious traffic problems in the evenings and there isint much going on there. Killaloe/Ballina has much more going for it. You should check out Church hill Meadows anyway in Raheen. I rented there before and its a really peaceful area for a family. I've heard good things about Annacotty as well. I currently live in SCR but wouldnt recommend as there is students around this location during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

one4on wrote: »
    NOWHERE! Limerick is a kip. It's scumbag capital of Ireland.Irish are the blacks of Europe.Limericks are the blacks of Ireland.And inner-city Limericks are the blacks of Limerick !!

Sounds like we should start a Limerick Soul Band.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

bazzer86 wrote: »
    You also forgot Richmond for the Corbally area.. Surprised you forgot, given that they are a far more successful club than St Mary's :D

And have a former player as a mod on here :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

OP if you are looking as far from Limerick as Adare, you might wanna check out Killaloe/Ballina area.
    You have mountains, rivers and lakes all in walking, cycling or driving distance.
    20mins from Limerick too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I've lived in Ballinacurra Gardens for 18 years, and I can't fault the place. Brilliant little estate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement