Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nic Cage: Genius or Nutball?

• 21-11-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31 mister_h

He's been in many a rotten tomato over the years but Leaving Las Vegas got him a lot of attention. What's your honest opinion of Nicholas Cage?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Hes made some stinkers but at the same time what actor hasnt i think hes brilliant especially in raising arizona and leaving las vegas.

not big on his latest which is trespass watched that last night wasnt a big fan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Brilliant actor when he wants to be. But unfortunately he's a paycheck whore who has no interest in making good movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

He's great when he's good. But when he's bad, dear lord he's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was stuck in Sat night and ended up watching Knowing.
    What.......The.....Fcuk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I can't stand his voice.
    If I could look past that,I would probably think he was fairly decent but I can't.
    Watched 8mm at the weekend for the first time,have to say I enjoyed it apart from his moany monotonous voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mister_h

Was stuck in Sat night and ended up watching Knowing.
    What.......The.....Fcuk?

LOL i totally agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Nutball genius?!

I'm a fan- particularly when he brings the crazy. No actor can do unsubtle like him.

I kind of liked Knowing. I had absolutely no idea where it was going, which is pretty rare. And that scene with the plane crash is legitimately brilliant.

SVG wrote: »
    I kind of liked Knowing. I had absolutely no idea where it was going, which is pretty rare. And that scene with the plane crash is legitimately brilliant.

Tbh I didnt know what to think. I spent a lot of time very confused.
    Although youre right about the plane crash. I was sitting there going holy fcuk them people be on fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

He's done some stinkers but he's a cracking actor when on form and can carry even the weakest film (Bad Lieutenant)

Also he's insane which is always good for a larf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mister_h

An interesting Real life quote from the man himself, referring to a home invasion he experienced.

"It was two in the morning. I was living in Orange County at the time and was asleep with my wife. My two-year old at the time was in another room. I opened my eyes and there was a naked man wearing my leather jacket eating a Fudgesicle in front of my bed," he told reporters on Wednesday.
    "I know it sounds funny ... but it was horrifying."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

He is both.

Every little insane moment in his movies are just little episodes from his real life.

One of my favourite actors.

Watch The Bad Lieutenant :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know nothing of Nicholas Cage - the man - beyond his famous relations, so I have no idea what his thoughts or beliefs are; but watching him in a movie you wonder if he realises how fickle and temporary his fame is, and is just having a laugh. I mean he's not a bad actor per se, he just seems to give it 100% all the time, even if that 100% is pure, undiluted crazy. Does he star in god-awful feature-films? Undoubtedly. But you can never claim Cage phones it in, and he certainly seems willing to either laugh at himself or if the vehicle he's in is rubbish, run with the insanity.

I would like to see him (or more accurately, his agent) get more interesting and 'serious' roles, because he can act when he wants to. But for now he seems to be happy to slum it & go nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I think he's brilliant. Can never understand people getting their knickers in a twist about some of his film choices - who cares really? It's a job, he's free to do whatever the hell he wants. I'm happy if he's involved in one good film...but we've got about ten out of him. And then even the weaker ones can be interesting viewing just because of his performance.

Renn wrote: »
    And then even the weaker ones can be interesting viewing just because of his performance.

I know! Can you imagine The Wicker Man remake without him? He treated that with the amount of seriousness it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

He should just choose his films a lot more carefully, make sure the script is right. You don'd need to be in 3 or 4 films a year.

He can be a good actor and make a film even better with his performance.

A sick part of me wants to see him star in a remake of The Room

duiggers wrote: »
    You don'd need to be in 3 or 4 films a year.

Unless you've massive debts (which I think he has).

Yeah exactly - we really don't know what these people are up to financial-wise. If he has massive debts then he's probably going to have to do some of these 'lesser' films. So what. It's his job at the end of the day and we're lucky to see some great stuff from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The image of Cage punching a woman while in a bear suit is forever ingrained in my mind after the remake of The Wicker Man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Debts accrued from what? I presume it's gambling or something equally rock n' roll?
    Hey, give Cage his dues; he doesn't phone it in, no matter how bad the material.

Plus he was almost Superman in the 1990s; that's gotta be worth something.

• Advertisement

He likes outbidding people like DiCaprio for things apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Knowing is the only film I have openly groaned out loud in the cinema to. That ending.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i honestly think he chooses those crap films on purpose, just to troll hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i think he's great, enjoy most of his films.
    this handy reference chart was produced previously, which is quite entertaining :)

sRViw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Roger Ebert on Cage

The acting work of Cage has been praised by influential film critic Roger Ebert who writes, in his "Great Movies" essay about the film Adaptation, that: "There are often lists of the great living male movie stars: De Niro, Nicholson and Pacino, usually. How often do you see the name of Nicolas Cage? He should always be up there. He's daring and fearless in his choice of roles, and unafraid to crawl out on a limb, saw it off and remain suspended in air. No one else can project inner trembling so effectively.... He always seems so earnest. However improbable his character, he never winks at the audience. He is committed to the character with every atom and plays him as if he were him."

I like him acting even if the film is a complete turkey there always seems to be a memorable scene of Cage's character hamming it up :p

Lord of War is very underrated imo

I have a lot of time and respect for Cage, while it's obvious that many of the roles he takes on are motivated purely by financial reward he always brings something to it. An actor should love to work and take every opportunity to do so and as such I have far more respect for someone like Cage or Sam Jackson who are constantly busy and never sitting around waiting on that next great script.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Brilliant actor when he wants to be. But unfortunately he's a paycheck whore who has no interest in making good movies.

Agree with the whore part. Off beat roles suit him imo but still he's brutal. That said, Hollywood keep casting him in a lot of big movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

He's an oddball but I think he's great.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I pretty much a gree with Sad Professor. He's a great actor but he just does loads of movies for no other reason than to be paid. When he's good he can be awesome though.

Advertisement