Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Hi Limerick man
    A fantastic and very informative piece by you, as you obviously know your cars, would you mind tsking a look at this for me and offering me your opinion please.

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=702148&r=s.php%3Fm%3D10%26o%3D98%26r%3D2006%26g%3D0

Viewed and drove it this evening and its a beauty, i've driven about six in the last week and this is the best hands down, seller is flexible on the price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

zack01 wrote: »
    Hi Limerick man
    A fantastic and very informative piece by you, as you obviously know your cars, would you mind tsking a look at this for me and offering me your opinion please.

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=702148&r=s.php%3Fm%3D10%26o%3D98%26r%3D2006%26g%3D0

Viewed and drove it this evening and its a beauty, i've driven about six in the last week and this is the best hands down, seller is flexible on the price too.

Looks good! Nice spec and it looks like the facelifted model too. Most important thing to check with anything of that calibre that there's no major work due in near future, Ie. big services etc.

Presuming they bought it new (check the logbook for the date of registration in Ireland, it should be in 06) make sure they have a service history to back up the mileage. Not just for the mileage, but something like that was bought when times were good and money ran out so the first thing that would be hit would be the welfare of the vehicle.

As long as you're happy with the price, (just remember they changed model the next year) and everything else checks out as per my first post, then best of luck with it! If you're not mechanically minded bring someone with you, there's no comeback with a private sale, remember :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Looks good! Nice spec and it looks like the facelifted model too. Most important thing to check with anything of that calibre that there's no major work due in near future, Ie. big services etc.

Presuming they bought it new (check the logbook for the date of registration in Ireland, it should be in 06) make sure they have a service history to back up the mileage. Not just for the mileage, but something like that was bought when times were good and money ran out so the first thing that would be hit would be the welfare of the vehicle.

As long as you're happy with the price, (just remember they changed model the next year) and everything else checks out as per my first post, then best of luck with it! If you're not mechanically minded bring someone with you, there's no comeback with a private sale, remember :)

Its the facelifted model and it was bought and has been serviced by one of the main BMW dealers in Dublin.
    The seller to be honest appears to be pretty well off and had no problem with me asking all the nessessary questions and when i asked could i bring a mechanic etc to inspect the car there was no hesitation either.

zack01 wrote: »
    Its the facelifted model and it was bought and has been serviced by one of the main BMW dealers in Dublin.
    The seller to be honest appears to be pretty well off and had no problem with me asking all the nessessary questions and when i asked could i bring a mechanic etc to inspect the car there was no hesitation either.

Sounds like the car for you so :) Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I know few websites such as cbg,carzone and donedeal where you can check cars for sale.
    Any other sites that i am not aware of ?

Thanks in advance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

rolion wrote: »
    I know few websites such as cbg,carzone and donedeal where you can check cars for sale.
    Any other sites that i am not aware of ?

Thanks in advance...

Whoops, could of sworn I had replied to this!

I only use carzone and donedeal,

Driving.ie is carzone.

Then you have the likes of adverts and gumtree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i've read the this whole thread but still ive a few questions about general buying process. I need to buy my second car (going from a 97mondeo) but don't know much about cars at all. LM's guide seems good but im not sure its valid for my needs as I want to buy a small car on a budget (low tax/insurance), so i would be only spending <1500 so i doubt everything people have been advising fits my situation.

i just need a car for around 1 year to do a few 10min trips a day. so as long as it doesnt stop running im happy

id say if i went to a private seller ive a good chance of getting done over and buy a terrible car. so am i right in thinking i should go to a dealer? a SIMI one make any difference? what do dealers generally guarantee about a car? is it totally serviced? do they guarantee it will run for a certain amount of time? if it doesnt have nct do they guarantee it will pass? what could i expect to sell a car in a year for in general depending on how much it intially cost? is there anything to be aware of in buying from a dealer say if i buy in cash, just sign a contract and i drive away? also would dealers let you test drive a car that cost a grand or would they feel its wasting their time? do i just need my drivers license to test drive it?

any answers on these stupid questions would be appreciated

I won't answer all those individually, but your best option is to buy privately at that money. Buy something with a long NCT... If you pick out a few cars you'd be happy with feel free to post them here and I'll have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Looking into buying my first car and I've a Q:

Is is better to start off with a 3-door or a 5-door? I'm looking at Golfs and Polos, and although I doubt there's much of a difference in either model, I have this thing that I may prefer to start off with a 3 door! I've been driving a 5-door hatchback up until now, but only sparingly as it's the parents car.

And while I'm here, thoughts on this? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2468819

There's a massive selection on VWs on DoneDeal, but this one caught my eye because you could easily spend just 300 or 400 less on a car that is 3/4 years older.

• Advertisement

I won't answer all those individually, but your best option is to buy privately at that money. Buy something with a long NCT... If you pick out a few cars you'd be happy with feel free to post them here and I'll have a look!
    im thinking of looking at these LM. seems to be a big price difference in them.
    the first doesnt have a nct but could i return the car if it doesnt pass?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/LX-1.3-5/201113201798641/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/LX-1.3-(/131532490384011/advert?channel=CARS

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Looking into buying my first car and I've a Q:

Is is better to start off with a 3-door or a 5-door? I'm looking at Golfs and Polos, and although I doubt there's much of a difference in either model, I have this thing that I may prefer to start off with a 3 door! I've been driving a 5-door hatchback up until now, but only sparingly as it's the parents car.

And while I'm here, thoughts on this? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2468819

There's a massive selection on VWs on DoneDeal, but this one caught my eye because you could easily spend just 300 or 400 less on a car that is 3/4 years older.

Looks ok, I think I know of the lad who's selling it, he's a Dealer in Miltown Malbay. Mileage is a bit high, those 1.4's are weak enough. If you buy one be prepared to top it up with oil.

As for the 3-5door option, makes absolutely no odds, just if you regularly have people in the back, buy 5.

As for the 3-400 less comment, there's always a reason :)

adamski8 wrote: »
    im thinking of looking at these LM. seems to be a big price difference in them.
    the first doesnt have a nct but could i return the car if it doesnt pass?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/LX-1.3-5/201113201798641/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/LX-1.3-(/131532490384011/advert?channel=CARS

To be honest you'd have to discuss it with the dealer, they can't really sell you the car without NCT or a warranty so just ask them first.

As I say, feck all goes wrong with those Mazda's, so you'd be as well of buying private as you can go too far wrong.

To be honest you'd have to discuss it with the dealer, they can't really sell you the car without NCT or a warranty so just ask them first.

As I say, feck all goes wrong with those Mazda's, so you'd be as well of buying private as you can go too far wrong.
    cool, dont see many private sellers of that car though
    i checked tax details and it said transfered to an indivual on the start of september and seeing as this is a dealership thats a red flag right? might go look at it today so.

cool, dont see many private sellers of that car though
    i checked tax details and it said transfered to an indivual on the start of september and seeing as this is a dealership thats a red flag right? might go look at it today so.

Strange, normally would say to a garage, put I can't remember 100%, the dealer may have put it in his own name and claim he's selling it for a friend to avoid warranty!

They won't be open today, but I'm sure you could have a look at the car anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 g00217810

Lads,

Has anybody had any dealings with Francis McCann Car Sales on the Naas Road.
    Some feedback would be appreciated if so.

Looking at a 09 golf there.

PM if necessary.

Thanks

Looks ok, I think I know of the lad who's selling it, he's a Dealer in Miltown Malbay. Mileage is a bit high, those 1.4's are weak enough. If you buy one be prepared to top it up with oil.

As for the 3-5door option, makes absolutely no odds, just if you regularly have people in the back, buy 5.

As for the 3-400 less comment, there's always a reason :)
    Derek Considine? A fair drive down from here, looks a tidy car though.

Derek Considine? A fair drive down from here, looks a tidy car though.

That's the one :)

That's the one :)

What about this one? Must be something up unless he's seriously desperate for cash.

LOL, looks very well minded, that :P

• Advertisement

LOL, looks very well minded, that :P
    Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?

Not really, it looks a state in the pics so it'll be ten times worse in real life :)

Not really, it looks a state in the pics so it'll be ten times worse in real life :)
    Could do with a bit of clean up perhaps, I'm not too fussy though.

hey LM, went to a few traders today, i now understand some of what people are talking about and ill defo be going private now like you said.
    think ill just look for a long nct at this stage, i think i know the sorts of cars but this one interests me what do you think about it
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Rover/25/IL-16V/201131203738411/advert?channel=CARS

hey LM, went to a few traders today, i now understand some of what people are talking about and ill defo be going private now like you said.
    think ill just look for a long nct at this stage, i think i know the sorts of cars but this one interests me what do you think about it
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Rover/25/IL-16V/201131203738411/advert?channel=CARS

Yeah if you got it for around €1,600 it wouldn't be mad, it's a bit overpriced at 2k, but if it's a one owner if probably couldn't go far wrong :)

LM, i think you briefly mentioned what to do when actually handing over money in the how to sell a car thread ie give the seller the cash and sign the log book and they send it off. What happens next? do they hand over the keys and you drive away with it straight away? anything else?

LM, i think you briefly mentioned what to do when actually handing over money in the how to sell a car thread ie give the seller the cash and sign the log book and they send it off. What happens next? do they hand over the keys and you drive away with it straight away? anything else?

Once cash has exchanged hands,
    • Take the keys
    • Get a piece of paper from the owner saying that you have just bought X car of them for Y money.
    • Transfer your insurance (Remember if you have just bought the car YOUR third party extension/open drive won't cover you)
    • Then you leave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've a question about negotiating on price when buying from a dealer. Suppose I see a car that the dealer wants to sell for 6850, a car that is in good nic and which has a good or full service history. Would I been seen as taking the complete mick to offer 5850, if I had a wad of cash and waved it in front of him?

In other words, how low dare you go when trying to get the price down on a car that seems good?

Tremelo wrote: »
    I've a question about negotiating on price when buying from a dealer. Suppose I see a car that the dealer wants to sell for 6850, a car that is in good nic and which has a good or full service history. Would I been seen as taking the complete mick to offer 5850, if I had a wad of cash and waved it in front of him?

In other words, how low dare you go when trying to get the price down on a car that seems good?

Simple, go in and say "If I was to offer you €5,850, would you accept it?"

See how you go from there, they might say the lowest is €6,400 and then you can make a suitable offer after that.

TBH I wouldn't go in with €5,850, I'd start off at six but it really depends on the dealer and how the car is priced at the moment.

• Advertisement

hey again LM,

can you give me your thoughts on this one http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2570451
    it seems a little over price but with all the parts recently replaced maybe not especially the clutch with a corolla. would it be reasonable for me to go with 1000 cash and get it for that.

Advertisement