Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I liked leviathan, plenty of lore there. Omega was a massive shootout, but i enjoyed it aswell :D

I actually like all of the DLC bar 'From Ashes' but even that in itself isnt too bad either, plus you get a freaky rastafari collector as a squadmate! :)

He's a prothean! Calling him a collector is spoilers, man! :p

His real name is prothy the prothean anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Hrm, Bringing Down the Sky from ME1 is a good story, lot of meat to it but not really vital for the overall story.

Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2 is great, does add a lot to the plot and some threads spill into ME3. Arrival was meant to be a tie between the 2 games, I just watched the cutscenes online as its meant to not be that great gameplay-wise.

Not played Omega or Leviathan, but word is they are ok, nothing astounding.

Arrival was the worst God damned thing I've seen and it actually makes the story make less sense rather than more. I'd skip it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bring down the Sky for Mass Effect introduces the Batarians as a new race and is very good. If you're on PC it's free as well. If you have trouble installing it, google it and you should find a post on the steam forums which will guide you through the process.
    Lair of the Shadow Broker is excellent. It has 2 good boss fights and some funny dialogue. Arrival accounts for why Shepard is grounded after Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3 assumes you played both of them. Zaeed and Kasumi are both recommended. Kasumi in particular has a really cool loyalty mission. The crash site DLC is good as well but has no real bearing on the story.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to say Citadel looks awful.

The actual plot part looks so tacked on (unless there is greater significance attached to those unknown soldiers at some stage).

Everybody say Normandy?.....oh Shepard.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah i wasn't terribly moved by it either, am still gonna buy it though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got a good deal of bioware points still, won't get it now but might get it and the omega later when I've time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ok so a new Operation for the MP is up, Operation Lodestar, seems we have several days to complete it. Basically you have to extract against all 4 factions on Silver for Normal, and on Platinum for Insanity.

Awesome!

just got the dlc installed and off i go..am streaming it too if anyone's interested in seeing it without paying for it :D

http://www.twitch.tv/sprucelee76

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

The normal gives a nice shiney banner

FullTeam.png

More info here http://blog.bioware.com/tag/me3operation/

but they have turned all the mission objectives into birthday cakes :)

Enjoyed that DLC, few hours worth in it, and it may just have been me taking it wrong but i thought there were more than a few hints at ME4 being set during the first contact war.

Also..
    I should go?
    laughed out loud at that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Enjoyed that DLC, few hours worth in it, and it may just have been me taking it wrong but i thought there were more than a few hints at ME4 being set during the first contact war.

Also..
    I should go?

Sounds good! I'd be happy to explore any period of the ME universe's history, it's so rich. Looking forward to playing Citadel now too.

Also..
    I should go?

Definatly worth it, have to say it lasted longer than i thought it would.

Have to say though,
    loved the squad banter in the archives.... but jokers laugh during the party had me in stiches
    Its quite hard to pick out a best moment of it all, not because there are too few, but because there are too many.

Should also point out, I love the sound of the lancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Playing ME3 at the moment. It's enjoyable for what it's worth but I feel it's a bit like a game on rails, the cutscenes are way too long and I know it's part of the plot but the universe feels quite boxed in by the war setting. I preferred the last two games as there was a sense of greater freedom, but I'm only in the early days of the game so that might change. The graphics while done to a high standard feel a bit rushed, like the artists had to race to get everything done. Overall though the game is good.

those rails dude.. they're on an emotional rollercoaster!

There is another thing, the sky in the citadel looks like Quake sky, it looks like a polygonal plane with a footage sequence running on the texture, there's no depth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's actually supposed to look like that believe it or not. It's not supposed to look ultra realistic because there is no depth to it on the station. It's the ring of the citadel. Fake sky in space kind of way. They did the same thing with sly winks to the fish in the fake sea.

Kirby wrote: »
    It's actually supposed to look like that believe it or not. It's not supposed to look ultra realistic because there is no depth to it on the station. It's the ring of the citadel. Fake sky in space kind of way. They did the same thing with sly winks to the fish in the fake sea.

Didn't know that, that's what happens when you don't pay attention to anything that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Eurogamer gave The Citadel a 9. Damn, wish I could get my 360 online.

Actually, anyone here who is from Cork? If so, any internet cafes or such like that you can bring a console to and get it online? I'd have to bring my 360 somewhere that could go online so I could download the DLC. I'm guessing not, and I'll have to wait till summer, but can't hurt to ask.

I hate to be a Review snob but the fact EG have given it a 9 suddenly rekindles my interest.

How much is it?

I thought Levi was a bit expensive at 10e so you can imagine my utter disgust after the price of Omega which was much worse for 15e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

noodler wrote: »
    I hate to be a Review snob but the fact EG have given it a 9 suddenly rekindles my interest.

How much is it?

I thought Levi was a bit expensive at 10e so you can imagine my utter disgust after the price of Omega which was much worse for 15e.

citadel is 15 euro as well. 5 euro too much i think

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    citadel is 15 euro as well. 5 euro too much i think

Okay, they can **** off again.

From Ashes: 10e
    Levi: 10e
    Omega: 15e (an absolute travesty imo)
    Citadel 15e).

50e for DLC content worth about 10 hours.

I mean the main game only cost me 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    Okay, they can **** off again.

From Ashes: 10e
    Levi: 10e
    Omega: 15e (an absolute travesty imo)
    Citadel 15e).

50e for DLC content worth about 10 hours.

I mean the main game only cost me 40 euro.

I wonder is it a bit of an error on their part.

If the paid DLC cost half as much but the difference was made up with the free DLC costing money I don't think many could argue that it'd be bad value for money.

Could be that the SP DLC subsidises the MP DLC.

Gbear wrote: »
    I wonder is it a bit of an error on their part.

If the paid DLC cost half as much but the difference was made up with the free DLC costing money I don't think many could argue that it'd be bad value for money.

Could be that the SP DLC subsidises the MP DLC.

I'm not saying the MP was absolutely cost free for them but the majority of it was just skins/powers/characters/maps ripped straight from the game that they simply held back.

Obviously the Collectors pack required a fair bit of work (even if they are an awful enemy imo) but there is also online pass revenue they would have received.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Are those the PS3 prices? On PC Leviathan is 800 Bioware points which is €8, Omega and Citadel are 1200 points which is €12. I think it's the same on Xbox. Ye are definitely being ripped off if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Still waiting on the Omega DLC to be discounted. I only recently picked up Leviathan for 400msp, I shall be waiting a while for Citadel.

omega wasn't really worth it, too many bugs and animation glitches, however Citadel is worth it

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Still waiting on the Omega DLC to be discounted. I only recently picked up Leviathan for 400msp, I shall be waiting a while for Citadel.

Levi and move on. Forget about Omega.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Does anyone know if you have a save file for ME3 from the retail disc but download the digital copy from PS+ if the save file will work?

I remember this was not the case for inFAMOUS but there was a work around by exporting the save file to your computer and changing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Does anyone know if you have a save file for ME3 from the retail disc but download the digital copy from PS+ if the save file will work?

I remember this was not the case for inFAMOUS but there was a work around by exporting the save file to your computer and changing something.

I would like to know this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I would like to know this as well.

I googled a bit more last night and found a few responses that said a save from a retail disc will work with the digital copy of ME3. It varies across publisher and title but for this game it works apparently.

Still have to actually download it. If the save does work I might buy some of the DLC. I had From Ashes already, it came with the version I bought. It should never have been DLC in the first place. I am interested in the lore the Leviathan has, especially after hearing it discussed on the Giant Bombcast. I've heard that Omega is combat heavy but the combat in ME3 was good so I don't see that as a major problem. And the Citadel DLC looks like great fan service.

The main thing holding me back is the cost. I keep thinking I'd be better off waiting on a GoTY edition of ME3 with all the DLC included. But that would only appeal if I could use my existing save file. I just don't have the time to invest another 35 hours or more to the main ME3 story.

Advertisement