Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Judge74

love oldies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Judge74 wrote: »
    love oldies

Your gonna like Ciderman so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    Your gonna like Ciderman so :)

Thanks for that,
    Just what a sensitive mod needs to hear!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thanks for that,
    Just what a sensitive mod needs to hear!

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOKHAClH1Uv2oFPowQE8dz9vyeRt0Nt1eXN7YU8QchP9wublcnig

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOKHAClH1Uv2oFPowQE8dz9vyeRt0Nt1eXN7YU8QchP9wublcnig

dog-with-gun-257x300.jpg

Quick question, I'd like my Colecovision modded with an AV mod, or an RGB mod, or both!
    If it's a goer let me know and price it too!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Okay I got my US to Uk adaptor
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/120817590638?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Tested it out and my console and power supply is grand
    even tho Im still waiting on the second one

Ive it plugged into an extension lead and Ive the power supply,Voltage adaptor and holiday adaptor it came
    with to fit my socket so its 3 plugs high and that makes it quite loose.

I unplugged it after playing some TMNT tournament fighters and the adaptor smelled and was very hot
    is it because I got a bad adaptor ? I need to secure the plugs with tape since there 3 high and loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    I unplugged it after playing some TMNT tournament fighters and the adaptor smelled and was very hot
    is it because I got a bad adaptor ? I need to secure the plugs with tape since there 3 high and loose

I really don't know if I'd trust a converter that cost a pound, it's likely cheap Chinese made rubbish & could even be a potential fire hazard. Btw, is that not a step up converter, 110v to 220v?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's the dodgiest voltage converter I've ever seen :D

Looks like it's for running EU appliances in the US alright. Which = blown US and Jap appliances.

You need something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-US-to-UK-Stepdown-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-/350863439752?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item51b1173788

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Read the auction print. Did you try to run a 120v US Snes on this? If so then you'll blow the PSU.

Input: AC 110-120V 50/60Hz
    Output: AC 220-240V, 50 Watts

No wonder it took so many extensions and adapters to get it into the wall, that's because it's designed for a US wall socket. :D

If the step down smells you've hopefully just blown that by feeding it 220v rather than the maximum 120v.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Read the auction print. Did you try to run a 120v US Snes on this? If so then you'll blow the PSU.

Input: AC 110-120V 50/60Hz
    Output: AC 220-240V, 50 Watts

No wonder it took so many extensions and adapters to get it into the wall, that's because it's designed for a US wall socket. :D

If the step down smells you've hopefully just blown that by feeding it 220v rather than the maximum 120v.

I didnt blow anything But I know my console works 100 percent.
    I contacted them first about using it over here and they said it will work.
    They sent me a second adaptor and my console worked unlike last time plugging it straight into
    the wall.So I think the second adaptor they gave me made it output at 120 because it took over an hour
    for the adaptor to heat up which is still quite quickly.

Ill get another one to be safe but atleast I know its functional.

Are you using the us console over here in Ireland? The adapter you linked to is a step up converter, 110v to 220v {US to EU}, if you plug that in over here somethings going to give. Unless its dual voltage & just no labeled as such

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's the dodgiest voltage converter I've ever seen :D

Looks like it's for running EU appliances in the US alright. Which = blown US and Jap appliances.

You need something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-US-to-UK-Stepdown-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-/350863439752?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item51b1173788

I just bought that one right there.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are you using the us console over here in Ireland? The adapter you linked to is a step up converter, 110v to 220v {US to EU}, if you plug that in over here somethings going to give. Unless its dual voltage & just no labeled as such

It must be dual voltage because when I plugged the console straight in the wall with no adaptor and I thought it blew and it smelled straight away.
    when I first got the console awhile ago.

I contacted these before purchasing and they told me it would work and they sent me a second adaptor and I played TMNT tournament fighters for an hour two times yesterday.When I was done I felt and smelt the adaptor to be safe
    and it was slightly hotter than it should be.

I bought the one linked just to be safe because I really was chaning it with a euro adaptor

Master of the Universe

I wouldn't worry too much about heat (unless it's verging on causing a fire of course!), step ups/downs do tend to get very hot. I would imagine one that cheap is going to get even hotter than a more expensive one.

When it comes to wall sockets and step downs, here's a pretty straightforward way of knowing what's safe.

If you get a step down with a three prong connection (the type on Irish and UK plugs) then it is designed for this market. Still double check the output though to make sure it's sending the correct voltage to your device.

If it has a two prong (round prong) connection it's still designed for Europe (mainland Europe have those connections) which is 220v out, same as us. So again safe, but make sure the step down is outputting the correct voltage. (110v for NTSC US and 100v for NTSC Jap)

If it has a two prong (flat prongs, like the original one you linked) then it is more than likely designed for a US/Japanese market. These are designed for 100v/110v in. Do NOT plug one of these into our sockets with a basic travel adapter.

They are designed for 110v (give or take a few). If you plug one in here you're sending 220v into it. Best case scenario, smoke and a broken step down. Worst case scenario, broken step down, broken console, small electrical fire!

Since I sold that jamma cab I got a bit of time to spend on my other machines last night.
    Adjusted the monitor on the blast city(again).Super happy with it but put any screen beside the E2 and you'd question it!
    Took the PSU out of the BC,cleaned it up a bit and swapped out the fan for a "quieter one".
    Turns out its only quieter when theres no Jamma board connected but like a plane taking off with one connected!

Why are candy PSU's so massive compared to your standard Jamma cab?

Master of the Universe

PSUs in both of mine are just standard arcade switching PSUs. Same with the one I had in my AWSD.

Maybe switch them out?

Yeah maybe,
    The one in the blast is modular,
    it has a large connector on it and when you slot it into the machine it meets another connector on the harness.
    Going to slap a bigger fan into it.
    AFAIK the bigger the fan the quieter it runs.

Just bumping this thread after it was unstickied, to avoid it falling into the abyss

• Advertisement

I decided to update my Amiga 600 mod. I'm changing the LCD to another type that's easier to read and just looks better in general.
    Changing it out from a negative blue LCD to a positive RGB LCD. There aren't any RGB controls on the HxC floppy emulator board so I had to rewire a bit to get the colour I wanted.

Old:
    dsc2439k.jpg

New(looks better in person as its a pic from an iPhone):
    IMG_3278sml.jpg

More here:
    http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/15916-Amiga-600-Floppy-Emulator-Mod-(with-LCD)-*Updated

So much better, nicely done :)

Myrddin wrote: »
    So much better, nicely done :)

Cheers, Just need to solder it and mount the thing now. I might use this as a test for that new improved "Wire Glue" stuff I got a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cheers, Just need to solder it and mount the thing now. I might use this as a test for that new improved "Wire Glue" stuff I got a few weeks ago.

Big improvement in the display, looks great.

Just an update on this, Wire Glue sucks ass!!
    It really isn't up to any serious work. I ended up soldering on some headers to the lcd and wiring up to them. I was hoping the wire glue would be an option for someone like me who isn't great at soldering, but it isn't.

Not surprised, its really only conductive paint that stuff. Can't beat a bit of solder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have the same kit, how do you mount it to the case? Hot glue or use the vents as screw guides? I have a replacement case for my A600, just need to get around to it :)

Was thinking of getting the slimline Hxc instead of these ones with the screens for hidden internal mounting.
    Anyone got any experience with them ? Like is the user interface for selecting images useful or a pain in the nads (it autoboots an imaging selecting application) ?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I have the same kit, how do you mount it to the case? Hot glue or use the vents as screw guides? I have a replacement case for my A600, just need to get around to it :)

I used some sugru to mount it. It works well and is permanent until you no longer want it permanent :)
    Like with this replacement LCD, I just cut the sugru away and put the new one in.
    Was thinking of getting the slimline Hxc instead of these ones with the screens for hidden internal mounting.
    Anyone got any experience with them ? Like is the user interface for selecting images useful or a pain in the nads (it autoboots an imaging selecting application) ?

The slimline version seens decent. Does it have the option to connect an LCD if you decide to do so in the future? The one I have is small enough and the LCD is always optional as you can set it to auto boot the emulators interface. You can just disconnect the LCD and not use it if you like.

My HxC:
    dsc2350bb.jpg
    dsc2388o.jpg

New slim version:
    iskp.jpg

It fits inside the A600 very well but to have it perfect I needed to cut a small slice to allow the SD card to go in and out easily.
    dsc2443bc.jpg

The emulator interface for selecting disks is pretty decent but a bit slow. The LCD and buttons really make it a lot quicker as you can select disks without having to load up any interface. And its great for multi disk games(of which there are lots on the Amiga).

• Advertisement

Ah I'll be getting the full external version for my Amstrad's anyway so will see how I get on with it.

Advertisement