Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Meant to say the new lanes are about 3cm below the running lanes at the min, dunno if they'll only bring it up flush or resurface the whole lot

thats what I mentioned above also. It'll probably get a new surface right across like the previous section. The wearing surface is a bit tired around that area.

The shifting of the big spoil heap from the NB end of the works to use as filler in between the barrier was continuing this am as I passed. Looked slow with one machine loading one dumper which travelled to the SB end of the works and another loader then transferred the earth from the back of the dumper to the central void.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭sk8board

Meant to say the new lanes are about 3cm below the running lanes at the min, dunno if they'll only bring it up flush or resurface the whole lot

i'd say they'll resuface the lot. SB as you cross the end of the estuary bridge in the overtaking lane a full-on step has developed in the road over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Drove through Lissenhall today and noticed that both the NB off-ramp and NB on-ramp have localized realignments - presumably, such is to allow for the construction of the cycle underpasses. Also, the mainline construction work is now visible on DCC Traffic Cam #112.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Just by the way when is all work including lissenhall junction supposed to be completed.

As mentioned above there's full earthworks underway on the mainline again. More machines moved on-site and are currently clearing all the remains of the central barrier and it's supporting posts.

More units shifting muck at the SB end and placing it between the central barriers on the semi-completed section. Shouldn't take them too long if they work like they did on the first section. Not sure if they'll be opening the first section before they finish this one though. they look to be too linked up to do a partial opening. They seem to be using the completed section for parking, roadway (site exit) etc so I reckon they will only complete it fully when this second section is ready also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    Just by the way when is all work including lissenhall junction supposed to be completed.

Per Post #523
    celticbest wrote: »
    m1.jpg

hopefully the finish date still remains the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Per Post #523
    hopefully the finish date still remains the same....

Would I be right in saying that this started within a month of the date in question? If so it should (but this being Ireland mightn't) be finished by christmas.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying ghat this started within a month of the date in question? If so it should (but this being Ireland mightn't) be finished by christmas.

Works were on site from 25/01 but Earthworks did not begin until 07/02 as resumably survey work was needed beforehand, therefore works began on schedule for the mainline however works did not start on Junction 4 until 16/03 which was a few weeks later then scheduled.
    M1D3Upgrade.jpg
    - 25/01
    sgarvan wrote: »
    both lanes south bound are moved to the left by about 1 metre. Traffic joins with the left and middle lane at Drynam now
    - 07/02
    sk8board wrote: »
    the lissenhall on-ramp to M1 southbound has been re-aligned and theres a LOT less space now at the roundbout, its now only 1 lane, where 2 lanes used to merge into one
    it'll be interesting to see if it cuts out the knobs flying down the right lane (for swords), into the roundabout, and then moving into the traffic in the left lane going down on to the M1 at the last second.
    - 16/03

cargo wrote: »
    As mentioned above there's full earthworks underway on the mainline again. More machines moved on-site and are currently clearing all the remains of the central barrier and it's supporting posts.

More units shifting muck at the SB end and placing it between the central barriers on the semi-completed section. Shouldn't take them too long if they work like they did on the first section. Not sure if they'll be opening the first section before they finish this one though. they look to be too linked up to do a partial opening. They seem to be using the completed section for parking, roadway (site exit) etc so I reckon they will only complete it fully when this second section is ready also.

They must have had nearly half of the section cleared by yesterday evening. they had a dozer run over the whole length and cleared everything to one side then a digger or two was progressing along taking a few cms off the top. They had nearly reached the 1/2 way point by yesterday evening.

I imagine they will do something similar to the first phase where they will put down a road surface for the machines to travel on (in case the weather deteriorates) and then they'll dig for the services through this new "road" as they move through the section again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Some great ground clearing progress being made at present of the next section. I imagine they are going to wait until all the work is complete to open the three lanes.

swordsw.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Some kerbs down on the new road section through the south rab at Lissenhall looks like it'll be tarmac ready real soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Was on the M1 SB today and there's plenty of concrete liners stored in the central median - some of these appear to the old ones pulled up (there's soil on them). On entry at Lissenhall, there's a diversion at the top of the SB on-ramp - there's also a small diversion EB on Hearse Road - presumably, both diversions are in connection with the proposed pedestrian/cycle underpasses.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I hope the surfacing quality is decent this time. I think the completed 3rd lane southbound isn't great quality. It's bumpy & I was very disappointed with the finish.

Northbound between the m50 junction and the airport junction, the quality of the 3rd lane is even worse. If you are going slowly enough, it almost feels like rumble strips.

Is it the same contractor? Can we expect the same shoddy finish on the current works? When these sort of works are completed does anyone actually inspect them? How do contractors that finish jobs in a shoddy fashion get contracts again? Is it typical brown envelope territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

How do contractors that finish jobs in a shoddy fashion get contracts again?

They put in the cheapest tender?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

ardmacha wrote: »
    They put in the cheapest tender?

One would hope that the quality of their work would also be a factor. Some of the motorways in Ireland are not great quality. Then some parts of some motorways are excellent. For example the original Balbriggan M1 bypass is superb. Wheras parts of the m1 were poorly done. The m50 since the improvements seems to be superb also. The improvements to the M1 aren't great, so far.

Praetorian wrote: »
    The m50 since the improvements seems to be superb also. The improvements to the M1 aren't great, so far.

The layout of the M50 is great since the upgrade but the Road surface is terrible in the rain as water just seems to sit on top of it which then get sprayed everywhere by traffic & this in turn makes visibility very poor in wet conditions.

I have found the new surface on the M1 to be of a similar standard to the one on the M50 - very poor in wet conditions, I haven't however noticed an uneven surface and I use the new section most days.

The layout of the M50 is great since the upgrade but the Road surface is terrible in the rain as water just seems to sit on top of it which then get sprayed everywhere by traffic & this in turn makes visibility very poor in wet conditions.

I have found the new surface on the M1 to be of a similar standard to the one on the M50 - very poor in wet conditions, I haven't however noticed an uneven surface and I use the new section most days.

I'd be the same, use it a lot and havent noticed it to be uneven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In any case newly laid road surfaces take a few weeks of having traffic driving on them to settle and "iron" them out a bit.
    Praetorian wrote: »
    Is it typical brown envelope territory?
    Would have preferred if you hadn't come out with that as a knee-jerk reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭MoeJay

The Balbriggan bypass has certainly worn a lot better than the PPP section (especially the Dunleer-Dundalk section) but apart from the surface, the fact that all the right hand curves on that stretch have adverse camber makes me wonder what the engineers were up to!

Interestingly enough, the surface from M1 J4 to J2 is by far the best (and it was a separate contract too) - even in heavy rain it does not produce excess surface water and seems to drain quickly. If that can be replicated for the new stretch of D3 it would be great.

MoeJay wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, the surface from M1 J4 to J2 is by far the best (and it was a separate contract too) - even in heavy rain it does not produce excess surface water and seems to drain quickly. If that can be replicated for the new stretch of D3 it would be great.

Not anymore, water sits on the surface since the upgrade between J2 to J3, I'm sure it will be the same when J3 to J4 is complete :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

Just an experience from yesterday; the cops were pulling for speed yesterday morning in this area.

As most of you know there is a 60k restriction for most of the works

Yet when I cruise along at 60..65 in the 'slow lane' the amount of flashing and beeping I get when people scream up behind me and have to jam on is ridiculous. Am I alone here in not wanting more points on the licence ? Speed was checked with satnav

PS 60 is ridiculous for those works IMHO it should be higher... but I don't do the risk assessments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

trellheim wrote: »
    PS 60 is ridiculous for those works IMHO it should be higher... but I don't do the risk assessments.
    Agreed, but they probably want to err on the side of caution. I remember during the Naas Dual Carriageway upgrade works in 2006 they had 60k there too and it was very hard to drive at that speed. I felt like an obstruction.

Passed this morning for the first time in a while. They have the works area extended across the bridge now and a bit of "rooting" done at the northern end of the bridge. The mainline work area now finishes a small bit past the northern end of the bridge.

They seem to have all the storm drainage / other services buried at this stage on the mainline. They are installing the final few riser bits for the drainage. Only about half of them in so far.

Anyone got any idea how the work up on the junction is going?

There was tarmac down on the road through the southern roundabout, 2 layers in parts
    There is also work done for the pedestrian underpasses here too

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

the more lanes the merrier. thumbs up.

The southern rab has its wearing course laid and sealed with tar at the joins
    The northern rab has Tarmac down for the m1s->r132s lane through it, probably 2 courses still to be laid here

I've some photos but can't post from my phone

Passed this morning for the first time in a while. They have the works area extended across the bridge now and a bit of "rooting" done at the northern end of the bridge. The mainline work area now finishes a small bit past the northern end of the bridge.

They seem to have all the storm drainage / other services buried at this stage on the mainline. They are installing the final few riser bits for the drainage. Only about half of them in so far.

Anyone got any idea how the work up on the junction is going?

I was a bit too eager with my progress report above. Yes they have extended their working area further north than before but it hasn't passed the Malahide Estuary bridge. It stops just around where it's southern edge starts as you pass North.

They have some stone laid on the new NB lane. Probably along about half of it. They are still working on drainage pipes along the most northerly section. Mainly just riser shafts at this stage so they will continue to progress the stone base as they complete these. They seem to be using the SB lane as a storage / working area for now so haven't started on laying stone base there yet.

Once they get the last few pipes in place they wont be long getting new lanes in place along the full length of the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They seem to be about 90% done on the first half, and 40% done on the second half of the 3rd lane works. One would imagine the works on the bridge will be easier, as it was apparently designed for just this - lift the path, lay tarmac.

Hard to see how it could take until November, but then this is Ireland.

sdeire wrote: »
    They seem to be about 90% done on the first half, and 40% done on the second half of the 3rd lane works. One would imagine the works on the bridge will be easier, as it was apparently designed for just this - lift the path, lay tarmac.

Hard to see how it could take until November, but then this is Ireland.

Explain?

Also they have quite a bit to go to even finish the section they are at right now on the mainline. As I said above they have 1st base layer (rough stone) down on about half the section they are working on. They are still working on services along the other half of this section. Then they have to tackle the estury bridge and thats before they even start the last section of mainline up to the junction.

I can comment on the junction works as I don't pass through them but i'd imagine there's a fair bit to go there as well. November is little over 4 months away with the builders traditional holiday period in between also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Explain?

Also they have quite a bit to go to even finish the section they are at right now on the mainline. As I said above they have 1st base layer (rough stone) down on about half the section they are working on. They are still working on services along the other half of this section. Then they have to tackle the estury bridge and thats before they even start the last section of mainline up to the junction.

I can comment on the junction works as I don't pass through them but i'd imagine there's a fair bit to go there as well. November is little over 4 months away with the builders traditional holiday period in between also.

Absent mindedness on my part, completely forgot about the section from the bridge to Lissenhall - short but still a separate job most likely. My Ireland comment refers to the fact that nothing ever seems to run to schedule.

One thing about this job - rather than pay one crew (or one contractor, as the case may be) to do 3 different sections/phases, why not pay three crews to do them all at once? Wouldn't this work out at the same cost, or is this a rather simplistic view?

Advertisement