Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Thank you Jackobyte for your reply, but what I wanted to know is this.
    The drive that was formatted - Is it of any use now for the PS3 ?
    The second question has nothing to do with the first.
    Can u connect 2 PS3's together and transfer everything or do you need to backup and restore ?
    I hav 3 PS3's in the house, well 4 really as 1 is the one with the HDD problem (question 1). Many thanks again. Oh yeah, the reason for the second question is that I have bought a 320GB (5400 rpm) HDD for the PS3 and I want to use it for my PS3 and use the 60GB out of my PS3 into the PS3 that has the drive that no longer works !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

hey, my ps3 just showed the YLOD. is there anyway of fixing it without sending it to sony? or even saving my data. there was a different harddrive in it to the one it came with originally. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senenpeter

Own a 60G PS3, old model (purchased on HMV Grafton st at midnight some rainy evening in Nov 06!)

Installed the latest PS3 update on Friday, 3.10 I think, was in the middle of COD5:MW2 then suddenly it crashed, saying I need to shut down the PS3 properly or the hard drive will become corrupt.

Then it didn't turn on at all. Its the standard yellow blink followed by flashing red light when I tried.

Before I ship it off (attempt the complex youtube fix with heat gun) did any one else have this problem in the last week since the update/playing MW2? There are some other guys who have on the playstation forums.

This sucks big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 scange01

Quick question, I have recently found out that you can have different PSN accounts for the different regions.

Can US and JPN region downloads, ie PS1 games, work on a PAL console?
    How do you set up a JPN one?
    And do many of the JPN games have English options for subtitles/voices? Subtitles would do though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blackdagger

For those of us with the "Out of Warrnty" consoles. Here is the offical response from sony.

Hi ,As your console is out of warranty then the out of warranty fee of approximately €160 (this may differ depending on the retailer) will apply for an exchange. Smyths Toys offer out of warranty exchanges for customers if you wanted to return to your nearest branch with your faulty console a member of staff will be happy to assist.

Keeping in mind that I purchased my PS3 at an online retailer (kompleet). The above cuts Calling Sony up and going in circles.

Smyths told me:

We offer a refurbished one at approx €100.

I still feel cheated tho the Warranty's should be longer for complicated machines such as the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 totalflooring

Hello

I have a ps3 and im trying to connect to the internet with a Eircom wireless stick
    But the playstation doesn't seem to be able to see it.

Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

I have a ps3 and im trying to connect to the internet with a Eircom wireless stick

Do you mean that you've inserted a wireless adapter into your PS3? You don't need to, the PS3 has a wireless capability built in. Just go to the left hand menu on the XMB and down to the network settings, create a new connection and scan for the wireless access point (the router) and enter the settings you need there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 totalflooring

Its an Broadband Meteor Wireless stick I have.
    Its a USB Stick which just plugs straight into the ps3 or a laptop.
    Laptop finds it straight away but the ps3 doesn't find it at all.

Please help as it doing me head in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Its an Broadband Meteor Wireless stick I have.
    Its a USB Stick which just plugs straight into the ps3 or a laptop.
    Laptop finds it straight away but the ps3 doesn't find it at all.

Please help as it doing me head in.

Try this, replace vodafone with meteor...might work...might not...
    3DataModem wrote: »
    Can be done easily in VISTA or XP.

Connect computer to PS3 using supplied Ethernet cable. Some people say that the supplied cable won't work because it is not a "crossover cable". They are wrong (unless your computer or OS is very old or unpatched).

Connect to the internet as normal using your Vodafone 3G thing.

Go into network connections, and right-click on the Vodafone 3G connection (which should be "active" or "connected" or whatever).

Select "sharing".

Check the box that says "sharing". In the drop-down just below it, select "LAN" or similar (that effectively shares the internet connection to whatever is connected on the Ethernet port).

You may be good to go. If not then go into Ps3 settings -> "Network Settings" and ensure they are set correctly (can't remember what they should look like - will post again later when I'm sitting at PS3 / laptop).

Some people say that the 3G services aren't fast enough for gaming. I've played LPB and RFOM with no problems with mine... in particular RFOM was lag free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Hey everyone,
    This is not a major problem, but its annoying me. OK, when I click X on my PSN to access trophy info. It gets to 32% then says error no._________, (can't remember error code, will post it tomorrow). I wouldn't mind but since the latest update I wanted to make my PSN colourful, but can't. So I want to know whats causing this and how to fix it.
    Any help would be much apreciated.:)
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

SAULGOODE9 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    This is not a major problem, but its annoying me. OK, when I click X on my PSN to access trophy info. It gets to 32% then says error no._________, (can't remember error code, will post it tomorrow). I wouldn't mind but since the latest update I wanted to make my PSN colourful, but can't. So I want to know whats causing this and how to fix it.
    Any help would be much apreciated.:)
    Cheers

Only new to PS3 myself, but I just keep trying and eventually it synchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kasm

Senenpeter wrote: »
    Own a 60G PS3, old model (purchased on HMV Grafton st at midnight some rainy evening in Nov 06!)

Installed the latest PS3 update on Friday, 3.10 I think, was in the middle of COD5:MW2 then suddenly it crashed, saying I need to shut down the PS3 properly or the hard drive will become corrupt.

Then it didn't turn on at all. Its the standard yellow blink followed by flashing red light when I tried.

Before I ship it off (attempt the complex youtube fix with heat gun) did any one else have this problem in the last week since the update/playing MW2? There are some other guys who have on the playstation forums.

This sucks big time

Hi,
    I've just experienced the same issue- stuck the update on Saturday and it died within a few minutes with Saints Row 2.

Buggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

My ps3 can download demos perfectly from playstation store, but when it comes to getting the unlock key i get error code 80710102. this also happens when i try to download the Gran Turismo Time Trial. Any help would be much appreciated guys. I also cannot connect to ps home, getting timed out messages when i attempt to accept the terms and conditions.

I am sharing an Internet connection through my laptop to my ps3, and connecting to the net using a wireless 3g internet device.

anyone know any fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

thebhoy wrote: »
    My ps3 can download demos perfectly from playstation store, but when it comes to getting the unlock key i get error code 80710102. this also happens when i try to download the Gran Turismo Time Trial. Any help would be much appreciated guys. I also cannot connect to ps home, getting timed out messages when i attempt to accept the terms and conditions.

I am sharing an Internet connection through my laptop to my ps3, and connecting to the net using a wireless 3g internet device.

anyone know any fixes.
    Maybe if you are running xp, go to control panel, Internet options, then to the security tab. There click on local intranet and put its security level to the bottom.

Hope this works.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Maybe if you are running xp, go to control panel, Internet options, then to the security tab. There click on local intranet and put its security level to the bottom.

Hope this works.

nope didn't work, i have now received an email from sony saying to turn off media server connections in the XMB, done that but no joy, i'm running vista and changed my security level for local intranet to low in internet options, and then went out to get a crossover cable as i only have a straight through (which worked fine for my 360). Again no joy. anyone know what the **** is goin on with this? can't find any similar stories on the net. got the console recently from adverts.ie as one with a faulty bluray drive. could it be banned or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

Lads how much do you reckon a PS3 will go down by after Christmas? Thinkin of buyin one but they're still a bit pricey. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭noodler

St. Robbie wrote: »
    Lads how much do you reckon a PS3 will go down by after Christmas? Thinkin of buyin one but they're still a bit pricey. Thanks

Nothing. Best bet to buy now for better bundles tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

could it be banned or something?

There are no banned PS3s...yet...
    St. Robbie wrote: »

There was a price cut a few months ago, so not going to be another one for a good while yet.
    Get a PS2, they're cheap and you can put any PS3 game and bluray into it. :):pac:

F1ngers wrote: »
    There are no banned PS3s...yet...

ok the next thing i've tried was to try and connect wirelessly to my ps3 through an ad-hoc network from my laptop, and now and it won't see my network SSID, although it will pick up the one from next door, also my phone is picking up the SSID i broadcast from my laptop, and from a further distance than the ps3 too, this one has me really stumped guys... bit of a head-melter tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Folks,

I'm in the right sh**e!!!
    The kids have a PS3, and this is what happened this morning - Dec 23rd!!!!

Switch on PS3 power
    Green light comes on for a couple of seconds.
    Then a momentary yellow flash - really brief.
    Finally a flashing Red Light that stays flashing.

Does anyone have advice for me? Is the PS3 screwed or is it a repairable problem?

With the fat guy due to deliver tomorrow night I'm afraid that the lads will get games that cannot be played!!!

• Advertisement

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm in the right sh**e!!!
    The kids have a PS3, and this is what happened this morning - Dec 23rd!!!!

Switch on PS3 power
    Green light comes on for a couple of seconds.
    Then a momentary yellow flash - really brief.
    Finally a flashing Red Light that stays flashing.

Does anyone have advice for me? Is the PS3 screwed or is it a repairable problem?

With the fat guy due to deliver tomorrow night I'm afraid that the lads will get games that cannot be played!!!

It's YLOD- you can try the various methods of getting the system back up with solder/hairdryer etc but there's no garantee that it will work.
    If you have it longer than a year then €160 to get it shipped to sony and repaired with a 3 month warranty(?)would be a few days turnaround at least, or €60 to consolerepairs- spoke to them last week and you could be waiting a few weeks to get it looked at as they're up to their eyes- they offer a 1 month warranty.

Sony number is 0818365065.

€250 in pwercity on St Stephens day for a 120GB slim, €279 in harvey normans at the moment(I think)

nope didn't work, i have now received an email from sony saying to turn off media server connections in the XMB, done that but no joy, i'm running vista and changed my security level for local intranet to low in internet options, and then went out to get a crossover cable as i only have a straight through (which worked fine for my 360). Again no joy. anyone know what the **** is goin on with this? can't find any similar stories on the net. got the console recently from adverts.ie as one with a faulty bluray drive. could it be banned or something?

ok so this problem i have just seemed to fix itself... oh well! thanks for the help guys, and happy christmas.

kasm wrote: »
    It's YLOD- you can try the various methods of getting the system back up with solder/hairdryer etc but there's no garantee that it will work.
    If you have it longer than a year then €160 to get it shipped to sony and repaired with a 3 month warranty(?)would be a few days turnaround at least, or €60 to consolerepairs- spoke to them last week and you could be waiting a few weeks to get it looked at as they're up to their eyes- they offer a 1 month warranty.

Sony number is 0818365065.

€250 in pwercity on St Stephens day for a 120GB slim, €279 in harvey normans at the moment(I think)

Many thanks - found a really brilliant Youtube link showing how to try to fix it, and spent the past hour (its now almost 11pm Christmas Eve!!) working through the instructions, only to find at the last step that I need thermal compound to enable me to re-assemble the unit. Needless to say I don't have any in the house (gave the wife a severe telling off for not having some in for the Christmas!!!) and you'd be surprised how many of your mates don't have a tube handy either!! So, the bottom line is that I'm not going to save Christmas after all, and we'll probably spend more of tomorrow watching movies on tv and actually talking to each other than we'd planned ---- what a disaster!!! :D

Happy Christmas to all - Hope Maplin or some other thermal compound retailer are open Saturday!

can't believe no one had thermal compound! What sort of friends do you have! Next thing you'll be tellin us that you don't know anyone with a 1.21 jigowatt flux capacitor.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Many thanks - found a really brilliant Youtube link showing how to try to fix it, and spent the past hour (its now almost 11pm Christmas Eve!!) working through the instructions, only to find at the last step that I need thermal compound to enable me to re-assemble the unit. Needless to say I don't have any in the house (gave the wife a severe telling off for not having some in for the Christmas!!!) and you'd be surprised how many of your mates don't have a tube handy either!! So, the bottom line is that I'm not going to save Christmas after all, and we'll probably spend more of tomorrow watching movies on tv and actually talking to each other than we'd planned ---- what a disaster!!! :D

Happy Christmas to all - Hope Maplin or some other thermal compound retailer are open Saturday!

Hope it worked out for you today and you had a great christmas day anyway.

That powercity price advertised pre-christmas seems to have been a mistake- went down to one of the stores today and it (120GB)was still €299 but was with an extra controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Here's one that I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer to anywhere.

Should you leave your PS3 in standby mode? I've heard that switching it off at the back causes a power surge, which puts unnecessary stress on its components if you do it all the time. I usually leave it in standby for a while after playing, then switch it off with the main power switch, but if this is going to reduce the life of my PS3, I'd like to know.

Cheers!

Here's one that I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer to anywhere.

Should you leave your PS3 in standby mode? I've heard that switching it off at the back causes a power surge, which puts unnecessary stress on its components, if you do it all the time. I usually leave it in standby for a while after playing, then switch it off with the main power switch, but if this is going to reduce the life of my PS3, I'd like to know.

Cheers!

Turning it off causes a power surge?

I don't know why that would be the case. I usually turn mine fully off. Never leave it on standby for very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

noodler wrote: »
    Turning it off causes a power surge?

I don't know why that would be the case. I usually turn mine fully off. Never leave it on standby for very long.

Well, a power surge or a voltage spike, or something along those lines.

Hopefully someone who's a bit more techy-minded than me can clear things up!

Well, a power surge or a voltage spike, or something along those lines.

Hopefully someone who's a bit more techy-minded than me can clear things up!

There is nothing to clear up tbh.

Power surges usually have to do with the electricity supply and are pretty rare.

• Advertisement

Guys,

Got the required thermal compound on Stephen's Day in PC World - and three hours later the PS3 was lighting up like a Christmas Tree ........ absolutely brilliant!!!!

The satisfaction I got from fixing it myself was great - bit pissed with Sony - this looks like a design fault that allows the unit to overheat - heat sinks not doing their job?

Gotta admit that if I was working right now I'd probably have just walked into a store and taken a refurb for €160 ........ you know, this damned recession and a few month's unemployment brings back some of the values that we've lost in this little country!

Advertisement