Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N-plates for Novice Drivers - Legal?

Options
  • 30-07-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/motorists-face-more-penalty-points-for-speeding-from-friday-1.1882534
    The new category of ‘novice’ driver also comes into effect on Friday.

Those who receive a first full licence from that date will be considered as novice drivers for their first two years.

They will be required to display an N-plate during that time.

“Under the terms of the Act, Novices will face disqualification from driving for six months if they reach seven penalty points, as opposed to the current 12,” the Minister said.

Why should a newly qualified driver be singled out like this and have a lower penalty point threshold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

I don't think these new regulations have any basis in logic.

Are there many cyclists among the civil servants in the Department of Transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Novice drivers, like learners, will be subject to lower alcohol limits and
    they may not act as accompanying drivers for learners while they are novice
    drivers.

So you're fully qualified but can't help someone else learn?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Qualified < Qualified and Experienced. I welcome this rule.

Exampe: You may be fully qualified but never have driven on ice in the 6 months or so since you started learning and got your license. 2 years of driving would likely make you experienced in this (and other rare) situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

No issue with the lower penalty point threshold but the N plate is ridiculous, in many cases these novice drivers will be the best drivers on the road and yet they are being degraded. It only gives experienced drivers a sense of superiority while they perform all their bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

SeanW wrote: »

Are there many cyclists among the civil servants in the Department of Transport?

Always good to get the auld non sequiturs out of the way early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

This is not new. Has been the case for years. Just another rule for people to be ignorant of/ignore and to not be enforced by the authorities. Similar to general attitude to the requirement to have an accompanying driver in the first place. We are great at coming up with rules upon rules and then only making at most a half-hearted attempt to abide by/ enforce them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why should a newly qualified driver be singled out like this and have a lower penalty point threshold?

Its entirely based on legislation which was introduced, so why wouldn't it be legal?

Its rather ridiculous and arbitrary though - "ah, you've had a licence for two years so you must be experienced" rather than based on either logged mileage (like pilots have logged hours) or a further test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    No issue with the lower penalty point threshold but the N plate is ridiculous, in many cases these novice drivers will be the best drivers on the road and yet they are being degraded. It only gives experienced drivers a sense of superiority while they perform all their bad habits.

The sense of superiority is an unfortunate by-product. However, if i see an L guy in front of me, i tend to give him more leeway patience-wise than i would to (say) a non plated driver driving too slow/fast/muppity.

Applying the same principle to someone still finding their feet on the road is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

MYOB wrote: »
    Its rather ridiculous and arbitrary though - "ah, you've had a licence for two years so you must be experienced" rather than based on either logged mileage (like pilots have logged hours) or a further test.

It seems to be loosely based on the approaches used in Australia e.g. the system used in New South Wales, which goes L -> P1 -> P2 -> full with restrictions reduced at each stage. The novice driver is roughly equivalent to the P2 used in NSW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

The already do this in several other countries, the IOM springs to mind having R plates.

The testing system is the real problem here, I would love if a Nordic style system was introduced, it can take two years of lessons to get your licence there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Theta wrote: »
    The already do this in several other countries, the IOM springs to mind having R plates.

They do it up north too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

In Australia p platers are heavily over represented in collision stats.

The idea is to develop good road skills as second nature. A mobile phone offence here is 4 points so you are on a short leash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

From what I can tell, there are basically no new restrictions on drivers who are qualified 2 years or less that would require the new N sign to enforce. The N sign is just that, a sign to indicate that a driver is qualified 2 years of less.

I cannot fathom what this is supposed to achieve. The ads that the RSA have running point out the fact that it is for new drivers safety. How exactly. What do these signs do that improve the safety of a newly qualified motorist.

Absolutely pointless rubbish as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think it's a good idea however, I think it should be extended to something like a "?" sticker for people who never actually took a driving test but have a full licence as a result of being quite old or having availed of an amnesty during the backlogs in the 1970s.

They're often the people who don't seem to know what road signs mean or how to use indicators, roundabouts, lanes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

From what I can tell, there are basically no new restrictions on drivers who are qualified 2 years or less that would require the new N sign to enforce. The N sign is just that, a sign to indicate that a driver is qualified 2 years of less.

True but then this is the way that all changes were introduced, they don't affect people that have existing full licenses.

It'll be interesting to see if they go the next logical steps to add testing to the renewal of the full license (e.g. minimum of the theory test).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

The sense of superiority is an unfortunate by-product. However, if i see an L guy in front of me, i tend to give him more leeway patience-wise than i would to (say) a non plated driver driving too slow/fast/muppity.

Applying the same principle to someone still finding their feet on the road is a good thing.

You seem to be the exception to the rule.
    Unfortunately all i would see on the road is when somebody sees an L plate they try to get past even when its a small dangerous road, if anything this N-plate could cause more accidents as the N-plate driver will be on the road alot more than a practicing L-plate driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The need for these plates means that newly qualified drivers are not actually fully road worthy. If they were, there would be no need for these N plates.
    Why not make the driving test more rigorous, or have a few different tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The need for these plates means that newly qualified drivers are not actually fully road worthy. If they were, there would be no need for these N plates.
    Why not make the driving test more rigorous, or have a few different tests?

It's more about experience and learning judgement on the road. You can't really teach that, it's just about hours driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

antoobrien wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if they go the next logical steps to add testing to the renewal of the full license (e.g. minimum of the theory test).

This is a admirable idea and one that should have been introduced when they brought in the requirement to go to the NDLS centres.

How common are retests like this internationally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This is totally normal in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ardmacha wrote: »
    How common are retests like this internationally?
    I'm not aware of anywhere that does it, but could be wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bilbot79 wrote: »
    This is totally normal in the uk

NI only.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If any one is feeling particularly oppressed by this, realise that up north that such drivers were restricted to 45 mph, although that has now been repealed. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-18249137

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeanW wrote: »
    On topic, constructive posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Victor wrote: »
    If any one is feeling particularly oppressed by this, realise that up north that such drivers were restricted to 45 mph, although that has now been repealed. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-18249137

That has been talked about for a few years, don't think anything has actually taken effect.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/planned-changes-to-driver-rider-training-and-testing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Time qualified doesn't make a better driver. Say for example I am going to Australia in January (I'm not but its a pretty common occurrence). I decide to do my test here before I go so when I come back I'll have the licence. Pass the test in October. I am then gone for 18 months and I come back and settle in Ireland. I've had my licence two years so don't need N plates but have less experience driving than some people on L plates may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

The entire system needs to be overhauled and to target newly qualified drivers and call it an improvement in road safety is a joke.
    I think there should be mandatory retesting once every 10 years as once you past a test you can do what you like, and you only need to be a careful driver for 45 minutes once in a lifetime.

It would also create additional jobs and isn't that the buzz phrase from Enda......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Flem31 wrote: »
    The entire system needs to be overhauled and to target newly qualified drivers and call it an improvement in road safety is a joke

It isn't a joke. It may not be the only thing to do, but it is sensible, this group have a very high accident rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

antoobrien wrote: »
    True but then this is the way that all changes were introduced, they don't affect people that have existing full licenses.

Certainly, there should be a full retest to regain a licence after a ban or disqualification.

Also, most motorist (including me) have never done the theory test, we should be required to do the test eventually, perhaps staggered to avoid swamping the system.

And finally, those drivers whom have never done the test (either from the amnesty or because their licence predates the test) should be made do the test, against staggered to avoid overloading the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Time qualified doesn't make a better driver. Say for example I am going to Australia in January (I'm not but its a pretty common occurrence). I decide to do my test here before I go so when I come back I'll have the licence. Pass the test in October. I am then gone for 18 months and I come back and settle in Ireland. I've had my licence two years so don't need N plates but have less experience driving than some people on L plates may have.

You could also just take the bus for two years. Coming to Australia is a bit extreme. We have cars here to you know?

Is there an offence for not displaying the N plate?

Advertisement