Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drumcondra - Additional Bus Lane

Options
  • 20-08-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭

Just back from holidays and coming back from work yesterday I saw there is construction work at St. Pats. This is to extend the bus lane(s?) according to AAroadwatch. Anyone know what the timeframes are for this work, also any plans available?

BRiyztACAAAPILH.jpg:large

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

I couldnt believe it when I saw the works last week. This has really pi**ed me off anytime I had the misfortune to be driving up that way during rushhour. I dont care if the bus lane doesnt make any difference at least I wont be looking at that bit of wall at St Pats and thinking I'd love to ram it and knock it. :-)

Seriously I wonder will it make much difference. There always seems to be a bit of free air behind this bottleneck once people have let each other in etc. I do think that road should get priority lights etc as it's one of the main routes out of the city and gets traffic out onto the M50 M1 etc.

of course the other option would be to allow light commercials to use the Port Tunnel for free or even the €3 at all times and that would then take a good bit of pressure off this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

The consultancy services for this sectionof the Swords QBC (St Patrick College) was put out to tender in March 2012, so good to see it going to site. RPS were appointed to carry out the design, the next phase is to improve up to the pavillion shopping centre which will include a bus hub/ interchange. Arup are the consultants on that one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This used to add 10-15 minutes on some bad wet days to my commute to Swords in the old days. That was, however, pre port tunnel but I imagine it still causes nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Some photos taken on the bus home today..

268248.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is at the Cat & Cage isnt it? Glad thats going ahead, its a really silly little bottleneck. It'll be far from avoiding the chaos that is that part of Dublin in the mornings and evenings but it'll help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Is there any plans to do the other side of the road, there's not a day goes by that drumcondra doesn't get a mention on AA road watch. I know it would involve cpo'ing two or more premises and the cat and cage but if its going to be fix properly its going to take this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

While this is going to be a welcome relief, doesnt it ultimately just shift the bottle neck up to the Skylon hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

While this is going to be a welcome relief, doesnt it ultimately just shift the bottle neck up to the Skylon hotel?

I'm assuming the lane will continue through the Skylon hotel. i.e. there is a wide footpath outside the hotel (you can park a car up on it) so I would assume they will put a lane through this footpath (oh please god someone tell me this is what is going to happen and they wont just widen the first 80m of a 100m blockage!!!!)

The main lane outbound is very wide after the hotel up to where the bus lane starts again so I reckon a bit of lane painting / shifting and youd' have a contineous bus lane & driving lane in place.

Anyone got any links to plans/drawings for this? Curious to see if this does end at Skylon or as Cargo suggests is pushed on through to the wider section of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

the following is a link to a proposed bus stop right opposite the new road works for the bus lane,
    the new stop will be just beside the roma take away.
    you can see a basic view of the road layout including the new bus lane
    I dont know how but it looks like there will be 2 lanes in each direction

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00411538.pdf

further info on the bus stop

http://www.dublincity.ie/AniteIMWebSearch/Results.aspx

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is at the Cat & Cage isnt it? Glad thats going ahead, its a really silly little bottleneck. It'll be far from avoiding the chaos that is that part of Dublin in the mornings and evenings but it'll help.

Jaypers this is great news, that is a nightmare area for me on my commute home :)

rameire wrote: »
    the following is a link to a proposed bus stop right opposite the new road works for the bus lane,
    the new stop will be just beside the roma take away.
    you can see a basic view of the road layout including the new bus lane
    I dont know how but it looks like there will be 2 lanes in each direction

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00411538.pdf

further info on the bus stop

http://www.dublincity.ie/AniteIMWebSearch/Results.aspx

Links not working. Any chance of refreshed ones. Cheers

two different pdfs giving the road after widening and bus shelter installation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Was passing out by St Pats a few nights ago, saw hoardings up where the road narrows at the pinch point at the Cat&Cage.
    I hardly dare presume the corpo are widening the road, and instead St Pats are building something to trully prevent the road being widened like when the gas pipework was put at the skylon end a few years back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

jd wrote: »

Unusual choice of language "outbound footpath" considering footpaths are not usually directional.
    Western side footpath might be better

They've moved the wall at St Pats back and I think the gas installation has been removed.

Not the best photo, but I may be down there later.

290398.jpg

Was down that way, popping in to The Cheese Pantry (recommended :) ). Gas installation IS gone, and there is also a new bus stop on the new footpath (see below)

290426.jpg

290425.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Whats that building being constructed in the background above? Looks like a hotel the last time I passed it.

grimbergen wrote: »
    Whats that building being constructed in the background above? Looks like a hotel the last time I passed it.

New buildings for St. Patrick's College

http://www.spd.dcu.ie/site/news/SPD_Building_Development.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

jd wrote: »

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This is great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

any updates or current photos for this work?

Thought this would have been done for end of school holidays, but no sign of it nearing a finish as I passed by this week

I've asked the corpo roadworks, will post their reply

Probably waiting for St Pat's to finish their construction before they start widening the road.

Corpo say

Phase 1 - Roadworks, being the widening of the public road at same location [currently] has the following Target-Programme:

- Tender Period 29.08.14 - 17.10.14
    - Construction Period 17.11.14 - 13.03.15

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I saw last week in the independent property section that the cat and cage pub is up for sale, if the council had the money they should go in for it , because if they really want to sort out the city bound traffic they'll have to demolish the couple of properties in the way, which the pub is one of them. Probably never happen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

iopener wrote: »
    I saw last week in the independent property section that the cat and cage pub is up for sale, if the council had the money they should go in for it , because if they really want to sort out the city bound traffic they'll have to demolish the couple of properties in the way, which the pub is one of them. Probably never happen anyway.

Surely the fact they're pushing the road 5 or 6 metres to the west means that they won't have to demolish any buildings?

Advertisement