Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Jnealon wrote: »
    Bought a premium HR strap a few months back and recently it has started to give out really high readings, on an easy run it could be up at over 200.
    When I switch back to my old strap HR readings are fine.
    I've been washing it per the instructions, wetting the electrodes, tried un-pairing it and pairing it again but no joy.
    Any ideas or should I just send it back

Is it attached the right way around? GF attached the module wrong way around after washing the strap and got crazy readings

Also the battery could be on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Have you tried using conductive gel?

It's made a huge difference for me with spikes and stuff, if the pharmacy don't know what you're looking for, it's used for those electric shock ab machine thingies.

Also, have you started wearing a new top? I have one particular Nike top that sends it nuts no matter what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Yeah it's on the right way round, I'll test the battery later but at 2 months old that shouldn't happen.
    Never tried the gel but on my old polar which has a similar strap never had any issues, pity I gave all my old polar stuff away as I could have swapped the straps.
    I ruled out static from my top when I ran with no top and still had high readings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Jnealon wrote: »
    I'll test the battery later but at 2 months old that shouldn't happen.

Could have been in storage for a long time. Happened to a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Is anyone else having issues uploading since installing Garmin Express?

I have a 310xt and it used to upload no problem using the Ant+ system tray app..

Then I installed Garmin Express, and it worked fine the 1st time, just a lot slower. But now it wont upload at all.

I have to either remove my watch and add back into the list of watches or uninstall Express and reinstall it to get the uploads working.

Even when it does work its a huge leap backwards from the fast simple ant+ upload they used to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Made a boo boo after finishing a race today.....basically I thought I pressed stop when crossing the line but the fecker kept going :mad:

Anyhoo, I didn't notice the til I tried to upload on Garmin Connect, so I then deleted the activity from the site and then went back and deleted the offending 'lap' on the watch itself.

But when I went back to upload the activity, it's still showing the extra half an hour despite only having the correct number of laps :confused: Am I doing something really really stupid here or is this some sort of glitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Made a boo boo after finishing a race today.....basically I thought I pressed stop when crossing the line but the fecker kept going :mad:

Anyhoo, I didn't notice the til I tried to upload on Garmin Connect, so I then deleted the activity from the site and then went back and deleted the offending 'lap' on the watch itself.

But when I went back to upload the activity, it's still showing the extra half an hour despite only having the correct number of laps :confused: Am I doing something really really stupid here or is this some sort of glitch?

If the distance is now correct you can edit the total time on GC, if you need to get more surgical there's a few editors online if you do a Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Is anyone else having issues uploading since installing Garmin Express?

I have a 310xt and it used to upload no problem using the Ant+ system tray app..

Then I installed Garmin Express, and it worked fine the 1st time, just a lot slower. But now it wont upload at all.

I have to either remove my watch and add back into the list of watches or uninstall Express and reinstall it to get the uploads working.

Even when it does work its a huge leap backwards from the fast simple ant+ upload they used to have.

Garmin express is a pain, I just use the upload function on GC now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cartman78 wrote: »

How did you delete the lap? IIRC there's a total time/distance node in the XML too. If you use Training Centre to delete the lap, I think it updates these accordingly. If however you went hacking with the XML, you'll likely need to update these manually.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Garmin express is a pain, I just use the upload function on GC now

I uninstalled every thing garmin related off the laptop.

The upload feature on GC itself doesn't seem to see my watch (310xt) when connected with USB.

So ended up reinstalling the Ant+ agent. That picked up the watch again, but the upload to garmin failed, and it doesn't retry.

Had to search the PC for the FIT files and upload them manually.

Hopefully the Ant+ agent works from now on, no way will I be installing Garmin Express again, what a complete disaster of an app.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The upload feature on GC itself doesn't seem to see my watch (310xt) when connected with USB.
    The USB cable supplies power only. It doesn't support transmitting data, which has to be done via the ANT agent / Garmin Express.

The USB cable supplies power only. It doesn't support transmitting data, which has to be done via the ANT agent / Garmin Express.

Thanks, I suspected as much.

I will hopefully stick with the ANT agent, as I had no problems with it until I installed Garmin Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Has anyone any experience of using Endomondo with a Garmin?

Is it easy to import?? There is a import section on the Endomondo site but then reading that Garmin have cut off the browser plug-in to upload?

Just before i buy the Forerunner

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

BKWDR wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of using Endomondo with a Garmin?

Is it easy to import?? There is a import section on the Endomondo site but then reading that Garmin have cut off the browser plug-in to upload?

Just before i buy the Forerunner

Thanks

Use strava ? Has it's own built in auto synch with garmin now and is a much better interface ion than endomondo.

Use strava ? Has it's own built in auto synch with garmin now and is a much better interface ion than endomondo.

Hey, thanks

See i have been using Endomondo now for the past 3 years and it has all my running data already on it. I was hoping to continue to use it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It is easy, you just upload to garmin connect. This stores the run on your computer. On Endomondo you go to upload and click on that file and it uploads it, it is very straight forward.

I used to do it but switched to strava. There are free tools on the web that will copy all your runs to strava if you wanted to do the same.

Edit:

Actual steps are(after Garmin has uploaded to Garmin Connect):

1. Click on Add Workout
    2. Click on Import from File
    3. Click on Choose File
    4. Go to folder "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Unknown ANT Device-3824899496\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4" or similar.
    5. Select your workout.

There is also an option to upload straight from the Garmin but I found this method easier/quicker.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you wanted to synch your runs between various sites you should use tapiriik.com, it does all the work for you, just make sure to configure it to also synch private workouts.

Thanks took the plunge now, bought the Forerunner 15 this morning...just charging it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Hey all. I started running about 3 months ago. I've been using map my run app on my phone to track my data so far but I feel its time to invest in a garmin.

Whats the best option for me and are heart rate monitors necessary for newbies?

Thanks for all help etc

Anyone with the Forerunner 15 know if your steps get uploaded as a workout?

Trying to sync my activity / steps with endomondo ...is this possible?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Beef wrote: »
    Yes I ordered one a few weeks ago and I'm delighted with it. Can't go wrong for that kind of money I think.

Pulled the trigger on Sunday afternoon. Got the watch last night from parcel motel. Incredibly fast delivery and a great price too. :) Loving it so far !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Having a problem with my 310xt at present. When it reaches 40% battery it'll just turn itself off. Stick it on charge and it still shows 40% and not 0%. It has been doing this for a few weeks now but seems to be getting worse.

I'm just doing a master reset now but I've a feeling it won't make any difference. Should that be the case who is best to contact? My retailer (amazon) or garmin directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Hi folks, need to upgrade my Garmin forerunner 10 as battery not lasting past 2 1/2 hours - I've been looking at the 310xt and the 220, price difference is €100, obviously 220 is nice shiny new watch where as 310xt is a few years old now but from what I can see spec wise they are very similar? I'm leaning towards the 310 but also have one eye on future proofing (I'd like to get more than a year out of this one). The only thing putting me off the 310 is that it looks like you can't upload runs via USB, only through ANT+?

Of these two watches does anyone have any advice? thanks..

Firedance wrote: »
    The only thing putting me off the 310 is that it looks like you can't upload runs via USB, only through ANT+?

I have the 310 and I think its a great watch.

Ya, it only uploads with the ANT+ using ANT+ agent or Garmin Express.

Garmin Express is a total disaster in my experience, and the ANT+ Agent works ok, have to remove the dongle and pop it back in to get it uploading most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Firedance wrote: »
    Hi folks, need to upgrade my Garmin forerunner 10 as battery not lasting past 2 1/2 hours - I've been looking at the 310xt and the 220, price difference is €100, obviously 220 is nice shiny new watch where as 310xt is a few years old now but from what I can see spec wise they are very similar? I'm leaning towards the 310 but also have one eye on future proofing (I'd like to get more than a year out of this one). The only thing putting me off the 310 is that it looks like you can't upload runs via USB, only through ANT+?

Of these two watches does anyone have any advice? thanks..

I thought the ANT+ stick plugged into the laptop via USB?

I have the 310xt and don't even bother with a laptop to upload my runs, just use my smartphone to upload. Have a look at this post for instructions:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91532839&postcount=2957

Think he meant, can't upload via the USB cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I have the 310xt and don't even bother with a laptop to upload my runs, just use my smartphone to upload. Have a look at this post for instructions:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91532839&postcount=2957

thanks that looks really great, unfortunately I have a windows phone, just looked in the store and don't see a similar app, pity. For those with the 310, you find the uploading works fine then? looks like that's the one I should go for so.

Going to bring back my Forerunner 15, it's taking about 5 minutes to pick up a GPS location, surely that can't be right?

Varying areas too.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Going to bring back my Forerunner 15, it's taking about 5 minutes to pick up a GPS location, surely that can't be right?

Varying areas too.
    Outside? Unobscured view of the sky? Sounds dodgy.
    Perhaps try a hard reset first, to allow it to re-download the satellite almanac, then take it outside for 15 minutes. It does sound like a hardware issue - e.g. it may not be storing the satellite almanac.

• Advertisement

Outside? Unobscured view of the sky? Sounds dodgy.
    Perhaps try a hard reset first, to allow it to re-download the satellite almanac, then take it outside for 15 minutes. It does sound like a hardware issue - e.g. it may not be storing the satellite almanac.

Yeah always outside. Yesterday i went out for a walk on my lunch and it was well over 5 minutes before i picked up GPS.

Will try hard reset at lunch today, thanks

Advertisement