Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

VR6 wrote: »
    Very eloquently expressed...

"Sarcasm was a mode of expression, common among Humans and many other species, in which the speaker made a bitter jibe or taunting remark about someone or something. Sarcasm often involved irony to some extent."

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

BoatMad wrote: »
    "Sarcasm was a mode of expression, common among Humans and many other species, in which the speaker made a bitter jibe or taunting remark about someone or something. Sarcasm often involved irony to some extent."

Sarcasm was a mode of expression, common among Humans and many other species !!!!!

Really ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

zerks wrote: »
    Construction to start next month?? Subcontractors were told Spring was the start time.Maybe the government want it brought forward to try and garner a few more votes,or maybe I'm being cynical.

The "announcements" relating to Newlands X & M11 reached this stage about one year before construction actually began.

If it wasn't for the election coming up I'd be expecting the diggers about this time next year....

VR6 wrote: »
    Sarcasm was a mode of expression, common among Humans and many other species !!!!!

Really ??

thats what Data said in star trek, i believe him ;)

the M11 is shovel ready , BAM are ready to go, why so cynical

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

the M11 is shovel ready , BAM are ready to go, why so cynical

M11 Rathnew - Arlow was "shovel ready" for ten years !

Cynicism is merely a word for "learning from bitter experience" :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Most of those were austerity years.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Cynicism is merely a word for "learning from bitter experience" :mad:

Absolutely right ! The M18 Gort Tuam ontract is another case in point. In fact that one even took half a year from contract signing to start of work !!!

nordydan wrote: »
    I'm a long way from Wexford here but it seems, New Ross then Enniscorthy then Camolin-Ferns. One advantage of this may be that when they get round to building ther latter two schemes that they'll both be DC (like the Adare bypass) and Wexford CC may get their wish of DC from Dublin to Rosslare. The Rosslare harbour scheme is also listed on the Tramore House website. Would any locals know whether the current Wexford SC bypass has any private accesses on it?

I read that the new bridge on the New Ross bypass would be the longest in Ireland. Does anyone know whether they are making it DC or SC? It would be incredibly short-sighted IMHO to make it SC and then have to build another in the future.

N25 newross bypass is a DC so I expect bridge is too

the extension of the N11 after newross is a single carriage way , which I find disappointing, they should have run a DC to at least wexford

what i dont understand is the circuitous route from the ballydawnmore interchange to the new ross road , it goes back up north then south on the bypass, i wonder why the M11 didn't simply go west of enniscorthy ( was is purely to avoid a slaney crossing )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've wondered about that also, since my route would be Dublin - New Ross and the Enniscorthy bypass won't save me any time.

I think bridges are very expensive compared to overland sections, so it was always more likely that the New Ross link up would go to the west of the town.

Where the N80 link will meet the M11, is definitely more convenient for Wexford-Bunclody traffic than Dublin-New Ross traffic. Linking up further north on the M11 would have suited my journey better.

I'm guessing that the connection to the N80 (Bunclody/Baltinglass) had a higher priority, given that it has 40-50% higher traffic volumes than the N30
    https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

josip wrote: »
    I've wondered about that also, since my route would be Dublin - New Ross and the Enniscorthy bypass won't save me any time.

they're building a link road from the M11 to the N30 as part of the bypass scheme so it will save you time - you won't have to go into Enniscorthy

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're building a link road from the M11 to the N30 as part of the bypass scheme so it will save you time - you won't have to go into Enniscorthy

Yes, but if you look at the map that link road exits the M11 too far south to save me any/much time going to New Ross. This was BoatMad's point also I think.
    Distance-wise the current N11 route would be considerably shorter. It will probably be an improvement at busy times, but I tend to come through Enniscorthy at quiet times. The only thing that will probably make me use the new route will be the downgrading of the old route to 80km/hr.
    If it had stayed at 100km/h, I'd still do Ferns-Camolin.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Yes, but if you look at the map that link road exits the M11 too far south to save me any/much time going to New Ross. This was BoatMad's point also I think.
    Distance-wise the current N11 route would be considerably shorter. It will probably be an improvement at busy times, but I tend to come through Enniscorthy at quiet times. The only thing that will probably make me use the new route will be the downgrading of the old route to 80km/hr.
    If it had stayed at 100km/h, I'd still do Ferns-Camolin.

And the fact that it will be a high quality new road, and much nicer driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

In this week's People again.
    THE New Ross and Enniscorthy bypasses which have been included in the government’s newly-announced €27 million capital plan for the next six years will be completed by mid-2018.
    Cllr George Lawlor said both projects would start before the end of the year following months of delays.
    ".. what appeared to be a minor issue with regard to a foreshore license involved a lot of individuals at the highest level to get it done, including the Attorney General. "

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Both my satnav and Google maps direct me down the R741 when I try to go from Dublin to Wexford and not down the M11, N11, N25. I wonder why? Do they both try to avoid Camolin, Ferns, Eniscorthy and Oilgate?

Would it not be cheaper to upgrade the R741?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both my satnav and Google maps direct me down the R741 when I try to go from Dublin to Wexford and not down the M11, N11, N25. I wonder why? Do they both try to avoid Camolin, Ferns, Eniscorthy and Oilgate?

Set to shortest rather than fastest, most likely - it is definitely not faster!

It would be far more costly to upgrade seeing as some of the other route is already built (Gorey-Camolin), its all ground investigated etc.

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    And the fact that it will be a high quality new road, and much nicer driving experience.

still makes no sense to swing the m11 to the east of Enniscorthy , nothing there except the sea

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

still makes no sense to swing the m11 to the east of Enniscorthy , nothing there except the sea

The "nothing" is the important bit. Easier terrain is one huge advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

I think this was considered initially. I suppose going east it makes for a faster trip Rosslare/Wexford to Dublin.

http://www.wexford.ie/largefiles/M11_Gorey_EIS/M11%20G2E%20EIS%20Volume%201%20NTS.pdf (page 14)

• Advertisement

Reuben1210 wrote: »

You're not selling it, to someone who still misses the bends on the Ashford section :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You need to learn the rat runs that let you bypass Enniscorthy on both sides.Very handy on Fridays when the place becomes gridlocked.
    At least when the new road is done,we won't need them anymore.In fact the new bypass kinda follows those ratruns.

At this stage there are more rats than sheep I think.
    The delay getting out at Petits can take longer than the tailback into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At this stage there are more rats than sheep I think.
    The delay getting out at Petits can take longer than the tailback into town.

I avoid coming up that road when possible,it's a nightmare and the cars backing out into traffic from Pettits doesn't help along with the pensioners who simply park on the road.Cutting up through Bellfield helps avoid all that.
    The farmers on the route of the bypass must have gotten a heads up that the start time is November instead of Spring,no Winter corn sown in the fields that are due to be bulldozed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    Set to shortest rather than fastest, most likely - it is definitely not faster!

It would be far more costly to upgrade seeing as some of the other route is already built (Gorey-Camolin), its all ground investigated etc.

No, both are set to fastest and indeed it is faster to go down the R741, but not by much (6 mins). Missing Ferns, Enniscorthy and Oilgate has its benefit. Also entering the town across the bridge brings one into the centre of the town.

Going via Enniscorthy adds at least about 15km to a motorway.

No, both are set to fastest and indeed it is faster to go down the R741, but not by much (6 mins). Missing Ferns, Enniscorthy and Oilgate has its benefit. Also entering the town across the bridge brings one into the centre of the town.

Going via Enniscorthy adds at least about 15km to a motorway.

I've driven both a few times and generally found the N11 to be significantly more reliable drive-time wise, as well as consistently faster. Can be stuck for a significant amount of time *in* Enniscorthy waiting to get back on to the N11 for instance. What time of day/days are you doing this on?

Enniscorthy would likely still need a bypass (on both axes), and definitely a link road, if the motorway had been moved further east - directly comparing road lengths doesn't work in trying to figure costs.

I've driven both a few times and generally found the N11 to be significantly more reliable drive-time wise, as well as consistently faster. Can be stuck for a significant amount of time *in* Enniscorthy waiting to get back on to the N11 for instance. What time of day/days are you doing this on?

Enniscorthy would likely still need a bypass (on both axes), and definitely a link road, if the motorway had been moved further east - directly comparing road lengths doesn't work in trying to figure costs.

I am using Google to compare the routes - Arklow (or somewhere on the M11) to Wexford. My satnav also sent me down the R741. Google gave a 6 minute advantage to the R741 - try it yourself.

The route through Enniscorthy is reliable - I get stuck there every time.:) It would be better if they sorted out the junction where you enter from Wexford direction and they have Spring Valley competing with traffic going to Wexford, coming from Wexford and coming round the town - most drivers do not know who has priority. Add to that the locals "park where you like" attitude and you have chaos. A bypass is much needed but a motorway - not so much.

Google drive times are not realistic and cannot be compared to real life

Google drive times are not realistic and cannot be compared to real life

Maybe, but my satnav also sends me that way. Google times I find quite good, but they also give live traffic times (because of all the iPhones that are tracked in real time).

• Advertisement

The website version of Google Maps (and satnavs with no live traffic) simply multiple road segments lengths by the speed limit to determine a time. They don't account for tractors, no overtaking opportunities, roads with inappropriate or otherwise unobtainable limits etc.

They are no use to compare to real life

Advertisement