Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/route-cleared-for-drivers-to-get-more-rest-areas-30548283.html

So it looks like more rest areas are on the way.

The proposals for one by the NRA near Rathcoole is just ridiculous - there are 4 westbound and one eastbound fuel and rest stops already on the Naas Road with most of them also providing hot food and seating options as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Geogregor wrote: »
    I can't see the link.

What was the controversy?

http://www.kilkennyjournal.ie/index.php/news/item/1077-council-corruption-alleged-over-paulstown-service-station-refusal

NO GO FOR PAULSTOWN SERVICE STATION.
    Kilkenny County Council refuses permission for Motorway Service Station.
    Plans to build a 24 hour service area on the M9 motorway between Carlow and Kilkenny have been turned down by the county council.

The proposals were to put in a petrol station, a two storey building with a shop and two food outlets including a take away and a drive through restaurant in Paulstown.

Kilkenny County Council refused permission for the project this week.

Many correspondents have in the meantime expressed extreme dissatisfaction at the action of Kilkenny County Council in rejecting this service station on several grounds, on the basis of jobs lost, on the basis of convenience and that this service station is badly needed. It was pointed out that there is no service station or rest area between Waterford and North Kildare along the M9 motorway and people feel that vested interests have prevailed on the county council to refuse this planning permission - allegations of corruption in plain words!

We have had a large correspondence on this as you will see from our Facebook page, so the Council are expected to address the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

just seen that Kilkenny co co crazy decision to refuse this offline motorway service station. has been appealed to an bord pleanala, hopefully they will have better decision
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243782.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

A new motorway service are is being built on the M11 on the Gorey by-pass section.
    I drive past it nearly everyday & go into a rant. It's a major construction, new bridge, major earth works.
    Basically it's a massive white elephant government overspend. Who the hell choose that location when there are junctions and overpasses already on the motorway with plenty of land.
    It's the typical the state is paying for it so we'll do it the most expensive way possible & a few cronies will get rich on the side as a result. We're all being taxed to death & watching this is frustrating.
    A good example on how to do it properly is the apple green service area further up the road - built at the existing junction. So course this was a private enterprise so they used some common sense.

I sure people will find excuses for this overpriced over sized petrol station - but end of the day - we the tax payer end up paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Here's the decision

http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=14238&LASiteID=0

First Schedule

4 No. Reasons & Considerations for Decision to Refuse Planning Permission Ref. in Planning Register P. 14/238

1. The development is premature pending the finalisation of the NRA’s draft policy on Service Areas on the National Road Network 2014, notified to the Council on 27 May 2014, in terms of which the Paulstown vicinity has been earmarked as a type 2 online service area comprising a rest area only. It is considered that until such time as the policy is finalised, the Planning Authority will not be in a position to assess and consider the potential impact of the proposed proximate off line service station on the implementation of the finalised policy.

2. The proposed developments is premature pending a forward planning approach which provides for same as required in terms of Section 2.8 of the Spatial Planning and National Roads Guidelines. Hence, until such time as the County Development plan provides for same with full consideration of the NRA’s finalised policy on Service Areas on the National Road Network 2014, the provision of an off line service station at this location has potential to be contrary to the proper planning and development of the area.

3. The proposed development includes a customer service block and the layout for same shows the retail element comprising a convenience shop of 90sq/m and a motor accessories shop of 257sq/m, adding up to 347sq/m. Section 12.11.16 of the County Development Plan 2014-2020 caps petrol/filling station shop floorspace at 100sq/m. Also, due to the extent of floorspace proposed, the proposal has the potential to disproportionately impact on neighbouring Paulstown and will make the filling station a destination rather than a motorway focussed stop-off facility. It is considered therefore that the proposed motor service area, on a site immediately adjacent to the village of Paulstown would due to the scale and level of services proposed on the site have a negative impact on the provision of services at a more appropriate location within the village into the future and would therefore be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

4. The Planning Authority is not satisfied that all the issues relating to the impact of the development have been satisfactorily addressed, including the impact on neighbouring residential amenity in terms of noise and light, particularly from the proposed neighbouring truck/bus parking area, the positioning of a mound over a public sewer and several detailed road design matters. The development is considered premature pending the thorough investigation of same.
    hi5 wrote: »
    http://www.kilkennyjournal.ie/index.php/news/item/1077-council-corruption-alleged-over-paulstown-service-station-refusal

NO GO FOR PAULSTOWN SERVICE STATION.
    Kilkenny County Council refuses permission for Motorway Service Station.
    Plans to build a 24 hour service area on the M9 motorway between Carlow and Kilkenny have been turned down by the county council.
    It was pointed out that there is no service station or rest area between Waterford and North Kildare along the M9 motorway and people feel that vested interests have prevailed on the county council to refuse this planning permission - allegations of corruption in plain words!

We have had a large correspondence on this as you will see from our Facebook page, so the Council are expected to address the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jd wrote: »
    grand, so on the face of it basically its not a case of vested interests at all and once the NRA publishes their plans for motorway rest areas, and the motor factors plan is abandoned, the developer can re-submit their application.

could actually be a positive that the application was submitted as now its public knowledge that theres a development planned for Paulstown meaning the NRA can possibly factor this in their plans which previously only included a basic rest area in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think this was a good decision. You can't have a motor factors at a motorway service station, thats not what its for.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Anyone know what petrol station / fast food provider was expected to go into Paulstown? Is it another Applegreen / BK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/route-cleared-for-drivers-to-get-more-rest-areas-30548283.html

So it looks like more rest areas are on the way.

The proposals for one by the NRA near Rathcoole is just ridiculous - there are 4 westbound and one eastbound fuel and rest stops already on the Naas Road with most of them also providing hot food and seating options as well.

What service station are they planning on the green dot in Cork City ? Please don't say they are thinking of plodding one beside the Dunkettle Interchange ?

I also find it curious that the map in article also seems to indicate a dual carriageway will be built to Foynes which would be complete over kill.

What service station are they planning on the green dot in Cork City ? Please don't say they are thinking of plodding one beside the Dunkettle Interchange ?

I also find it curious that the map in article also seems to indicate a dual carriageway will be built to Foynes which would be complete over kill.
    they are looking to have one on the way to Ringaskiddy aparantly
    http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/service-areas/NRA-Service-Area-Policy-FinalAugust2014-(2).pdf

• Advertisement

ok, these 2 are unofficial privately financed, yet online stations so seeing as they are private (and over the border so not NRA stations as part of their master plan) here seems an apt place to mention them, and I haven't seen them mentioned before anywhere here.

On the M1 (NI) theres service areas in both directions being constructed between Belfast and Lisburn, so barely 10km from Belfast
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/m1servicearea.html

On the M2 (NI) theres service areas in both directions being constructed a little north of Newtonabbey, so only 10 / 15km north of Belfast
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/m2servicearea.html

Both will be ran by Applegreen like the NRA stations in the south.
    The logic of siting them on the busiest part of the roads obviously makes commercial sense, but being so close to Belfast its really a service for commuters rather than anyone on a long distance journey who needs a break for safety/ comfort reasons.

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/10/16/4033220-burger-king-opens-at-birdhill/

The Birdhill Applegreen MSS has opened on the M7 with Tipperary's first Burger King! Costa Coffee and Subway outlets will also be on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Vanquished

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/10/16/4033220-burger-king-opens-at-birdhill/

The Birdhill Applegreen MSS has opened on the M7 with Tipperary's first Burger King!

Wow what a red letter day for Tipperary! The locals must be so proud! :p

Vanquished wrote: »
    Wow what a red letter day for Tipperary! The locals must be so proud! :p

Never underestimate the significance of the Whopper!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

The Birdhill Applegreen MSS has opened on the M7 with Tipperary's first Burger King! Costa Coffee and Subway outlets will also be on offer.

Is it marked somehow on the M7 itself?
    How about the one in Monasterevin, right off the junction 14 on M7?

If they fulfil all the criteria of motorway service areas they should be signed online.
    If they are, could anyone post images of the signs in the mainline?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

The new applegreen has had its pumps closed for 3 days , what going on there I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I asked them on Twitter this morning (and why there was no wi-fi) and the answer I got was -

"This is only a temporary thing, keep patient & it'll b business as normal soon! Happy Friday"

Pity, because I really like the look of the place.

They responded on Twitter that the pumps are open again. Still waiting on the Wifi though ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Birdhill offline MSA will be really handy for those travelling from Dublin to Kerry or vice versa.

I was in the Barack Plaza last weekend. Useful spot, but not quite enough parking for cars and not as good as the NRA ones. Will do the job fine though.

Its an amazingly cheesy place though... but its so cheesy that its awesome. The President of the USA visited, and we remembered the visit by naming a Motorway Service Station after him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not putting enough parking in seems to be a bit of common occurrence for non-official stations. Owners need to realise that even though it costs a bit in land and construction costs, sufficient spaces means you get more business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was in the Barack Plaza last weekend. Useful spot, but not quite enough parking for cars and not as good as the NRA ones. Will do the job fine though.

Its an amazingly cheesy place though... but its so cheesy that its awesome. The President of the USA visited, and we remembered the visit by naming a Motorway Service Station after him.

Much prefer Birdhill to Obama Plaza!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

MYOB wrote: »
    Not putting enough parking in seems to be a bit of common occurrence for non-official stations. Owners need to realise that even though it costs a bit in land and construction costs, sufficient spaces means you get more business.
    How are they for HGVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

jd wrote: »
    How are they for HGVs?

not sure about obama as it's been awhile since I passed it but the birdhill one has tons of space out the back for hgvs but it don't take dci cards just there own fuel card which is a pain for truckers I'd imagine

Obama has a ton of HGV spaces... only two were used. Meanwhile the car parking round the front was rammed while the car parking around the back was about a third empty. Noone wants to go round the back, thats the problem.

It is a bit cheesy alright. I also find the name a bit grating. I wonder if George W Bush had relatives in Birdhill, would that also be named accordingly?...somehow I think not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is a bit cheesy alright. I also find the name a bit grating. I wonder if George W Bush had relatives in Birdhill, would that also be named accordingly?...somehow I think not.

Bush's closest Irish ancestry was in Rathfriland, nowhere near any major roads. Nearest bit of the A1 is obsessed with the Bronte family instead - so I think we're safe.

Clinton's ancestry seems to have been invented for political reasons, Bush Sr is the same as Bush Jr; Reagan's is pretty solid though - and Ballyporeen is dangerously close to the M8!

The rain was so bad last night on the trip home from Dublin that I called into Mayfield J14, Obama Plaza and Birdhill for breaks and coffees. Mayfield J14 was, as usual, jammers,... Obama Plaza was quiet-ish and, to my surprise, Birdhill was quite a bit busier (than Obama). It's interesting that they're both very different designs, with Obama Plaza being very bright and... platicky,... with Birdhill being dimly lit, almost pub-like and a lot 'warmer'. Certainly more inviting / cozy on a night like last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Conba wrote: »
    The rain was so bad last night on the trip home from Dublin that I called into Mayfield J14, Obama Plaza and Birdhill for breaks and coffees. Mayfield J14 was, as usual, jammers,... Obama Plaza was quiet-ish and, to my surprise, Birdhill was quite a bit busier (than Obama). It's interesting that they're both very different designs, with Obama Plaza being very bright and... platicky,... with Birdhill being dimly lit, almost pub-like and a lot 'warmer'. Certainly more inviting / cozy on a night like last night.

Yeah, I agree. Obama Plaza is very bright and very white. It feels like you're in an operating theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's a trend towards that super stark LED inspired lighting in retail at the moment. I find it very annoying.

Advertisement