Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most boring town in Roscommon

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Excuse me ye shower of hill billys ... i am currently situated n elphin nd it is a fantastic town so piss off bk 2 ur village!!!!!!!il hav u know tat it is very lively jus cos ye're probally a shower of stuck up f**kers!!:D:D:D:D

Ahh, Don't let them get to ya Quicky. Elphin is prob all right compared to Balla. At least the folks in Elphin live in the 21st century but when the balla crowd go out for a night they are like monkeys just been released from the zoo and they go wild!!
    De never got over the fact its only a one horse town and looks like something from the wild West--try it on market day and you will see what i mean..:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 quickylicky

rusty999 wrote: »
    Ahh, Don't let them get to ya Quicky. Elphin is prob all right compared to Balla. At least the folks in Elphin live in the 21st century but when the balla crowd go out for a night they are like monkeys just been released from the zoo and they go wild!!
    De never got over the fact its only a one horse town and looks like something from the wild West--try it on market day and you will see what i mean..:eek::eek:

:psounds to me like you have "Balla" of to a T.... Ghost town comes to mind:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Excuse me ye shower of hill billys ... i am currently situated n elphin nd it is a fantastic town so piss off bk 2 ur village!!!!!!!il hav u know tat it is very lively jus cos ye're probally a shower of stuck up f**kers!!:D:D:D:D

No text speak please. Use only actual English words

Magnus wrote: »
    No text speak please. Use only actual English words

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The grammar police are probably going to arrest me for that sentence :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You mean there are actually towns in Roscommon? Surely not!!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    You mean there are actually towns in Roscommon? Surely not!!

AHHHH!!!! I think you might have something there Jupiter Kid--its probably more of a village

Although I have seen more life in villages in outer mongolia than I have ever seen in Balla

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

ballinlough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Ballinlough is bad but Elphin gets top prize for being stuck in a time best forgotten. You could film The Quiet Man there and not have to change the appearance of any part of the long and miserable street where people park in the middle of the road, never use indicators and pull out as if they had the only car in the world. Never saw a young person yet in this town in all the times I passed through it. And why would there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

dec25532 wrote: »
    Ballinlough is bad but Elphin gets top prize for being stuck in a time best forgotten. You could film The Quiet Man there and not have to change the appearance of any part of the long and miserable street where people park in the middle of the road, never use indicators and pull out as if they had the only car in the world. Never saw a young person yet in this town in all the times I passed through it. And why would there.

Hilarious!! and totally true!! I live near (but not in! thankfully!) aul Elphin - lol and its beyond true what you said - the middle of the street parking - the total lack of indicators & of course the lack of anyone under the age of 60 it appears (what's up with that?!?!)

and also

"I've a feeling nobody actually lives there, its a virtual town..........maybe like the one on Blazing Saddles, You know the one they made of plywood, a decoy"

This was said previously - and also hilariously correct!! It is a virtual town!:D:D

• Advertisement

Hilarious!! and totally true!! I live near (but not in! thankfully!) aul Elphin - lol and its beyond true what you said - the middle of the street parking - the total lack of indicators & of course the lack of anyone under the age of 60 it appears (what's up with that?!?!)

and also

"I've a feeling nobody actually lives there, its a virtual town..........maybe like the one on Blazing Saddles, You know the one they made of plywood, a decoy"

This was said previously - and also hilariously correct!! It is a virtual town!:D:D

Well i live in Elphin and Im a young person and theres plenty of young people in the town and actually quite a good night life.And you have little to be worrying you if parking on the "middle of the road" bothers you so much. How exactly does it effect you when you dont actually live there.:confused:

Well i live in Elphin and Im a young person and theres plenty of young people in the town and actually quite a good night life.And you have little to be worrying you if parking on the "middle of the road" bothers you so much. How exactly does it effect you when you dont actually live there.:confused:

Ahem, it is kinda awkward when one is driving through it (preferably at high speed)

dec25532 wrote: »
    Ahem, it is kinda awkward when one is driving through it (preferably at high speed)

Well ya know what to do, dont come into the town!:D

Well ya know what to do, dont come into the town!:D

With an attitude like that, it's no wonder Elphin is a hellhole!

i was simply stating the fact we dont need people who think bad of our community in it. Anyone else is more than welcome!:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So when is Elphin getting bypassed?:D What's its population anyway? Can it even be properly classified as a town?

IMO there's only two true towns in Roscommon - Roscommon town and Boyle. Although it does also have the western suburbs of Athlone and Carrick On Shannon.:cool:

Boyle?:eek:Obviously you havent seen the forum for the town that is the most unfriendly town in co roscommon, il give you a guess as to who won? ;)

and also

This was said previously - and also hilariously correct!! It is a virtual town!:D:D[/QUOTE]

NO NO NO!!!!!! Ballaghaderreen reserves the right to be named Number One "VIRTUAL TOWN" in the west !! Theres loads of plywood on the shop windows ,and Virtual pubs as well. Ya know the ones--nobody drinks there but its still called a pub..... And the smell of the pigs down around that big building at the end of the town;)
    And the smell of the goats on market day
    And as for parking ---well why bother-you wouldnt wanna stay anyway with all the smells around. Its the original Wild West Town that refuses to change in 40 years!!!

rusty999 wrote: »
    and also

I have to agree, for example i remember when the shop opened there and of course all the locals were saying how great it was this shop. so i decided id take a trip down. it was the weirdest shop ever they had like two things of every product obviously not expecting many people and then what tops it all... they had no salt:eek: like what sort of shop has no salt:eek: and they kept the mustard behind the biscuits!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Certi Layla!!

:DI went out in elphin one night randomly. Well i tell you something they certainly no how to party. they play music until like 6 oclock in the morning and the bar never shuts, best night ever in a small town.il diffently be goin back, maybe the young people only go out at night time:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 PatrickBuzzin

Rusty I was laughing at ur Stupid posts. Only a dumb ass can mix up Ballaghaderreen with Balla. The later being a small town in Mayo. Maybe if you took ur head out of ur hole for more than 5 mins you mite be able to differentiate.

Rusty I was laughing at ur Stupid posts. Only a dumb ass can mix up Ballaghaderreen with Balla. The later being a small town in Mayo. Maybe if you took ur head out of ur hole for more than 5 mins you mite be able to differentiate.

LOL----a small town is right !!!! sure i know it well

I think if you knew anything about ballaghaderreen you wud know we all call it Balla for short around here and indeed i refer to it as ballaghaderreen in most of my posts --but you were far too busy being insulting to read them properly

Get a life !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Boyle gets my vote since they removed the "Boles of Boyle" sign.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Boyle gets my vote since they removed the "Boles of Boyle" sign.

The Feckkers!!!

i loved that sign !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PatrickBuzzin

No I think you will find they call it Ballagh for short!!!!!

And if you hate the place so much why do you live around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thadiisgirl

Posting from England here and I have never actually been to Elphin or Boyle etc, though this area is where my family originates from - Killukin, to be more precise. I hope you don't mind me butting in here.:)

Anyway, I wonder by how much the populations of these towns and villages have declined since, say, the late 19th century? I bet these places were crammed with people in those days - and busy towns come with their own set of different problems.

For what it's worth, I think your (our?) part of the world looks truly beautiful, but beautiful doesn't pay the rent or get you a job, does it? Which I guess explains why I'm over here and not posting from Elphin; why my family had to leave land they had farmed for generations....

For what it's worth, I live in rural England which has a lot of similar issues mentioned on this thread by the way, especially for the younger generation.

Best wishes to all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Posting from England here and I have never actually been to Elphin or Boyle etc, though this area is where my family originates from - Killukin, to be more precise. I hope you don't mind me butting in here.:)

Anyway, I wonder by how much the populations of these towns and villages have declined since, say, the late 19th century? I bet these places were crammed with people in those days - and busy towns come with their own set of different problems.

For what it's worth, I think your (our?) part of the world looks truly beautiful, but beautiful doesn't pay the rent or get you a job, does it? Which I guess explains why I'm over here and not posting from Elphin; why my family had to leave land they had farmed for generations....

For what it's worth, I live in rural England which has a lot of similar issues mentioned on this thread by the way, especially for the younger generation.

Best wishes to all of you.

That post is way to intelligent for some of the asholes posting here.

What a disgusting attidtude some of them have. It would not encourage anyone to live there or move to that part of the world.

It might be more appropriate to have a thread on the nice parts of Roscommon

Advertisement