Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are the Best shares to buy?

• 20-01-2009 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of good share low at the moment not too much of a risk?
    Banks maybe?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

If we knew that we'd all be rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lomu

bank of ireland shares at the minute are only 34c. Worth an investment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lomu wrote: »

C'mon....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Hanley wrote: »
    C'mon....

Hanley do you think they are dodgy?

If we knew that we'd all be rich.

I know!!!:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

padocon wrote: »
    low at the moment not too much of a risk?
    Banks maybe?

Bank stocks are about as risky as they get at the moment.

My tips:
    1. Figure out how much risk you're willing to bear
    2. Decide how long a time-frame you're looking at
    3. Read about diversification of portfolios
    4. Read more and more before you put your money somewhere
    5. Don't touch anything until you've done the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭randombar

From my burning from Northern rock last year I reckon stay well away from Banks, god only knows what price the government are going to pay for the Anglo shares they've seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Anyone know of good share low at the moment not too much of a risk?

Banks maybe?

Thanks

These two comments do not go together.

Banks are about as risky as it gets at the moment.

If you don't even know this much maybe you're better off sticking the money in a savings account.

Seriously.

pocketdooz wrote: »
    These two comments do not go together.

Banks are about as risky as it gets at the moment.

If you don't even know this much maybe you're better off sticking the money in a savings account.

Seriously.

Ok what about shares but not the banks?
    or
    Different bank shares. ie not putting all eggs in one basket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭marathonic

I've been thinking about purchasing shares of two of the large US bank shares - JPM and WFC. I think they'll drop this morning so I'm gonna wait to the markets settle before making my decision.

My current plan though is not to buy them directly, I'm considering selling two PUT options on them - 2 April 12.50 puts on WFC at $180 each and 1 Mar 17.50 put on JPM at $138.

What this means is that I will not own shares in either company or be entitled to dividends. However, I will receive $498 ($180 * 2 + $138) which I'm going to use to add to my current holdings in EMR.

Then, if JPM and WFC are not below the 12.50 and 17.50 strike price on April (for WFC) and March (for JPM), I get to keep the $498.

If either fall below the strike price, I will be forced to buy at the strike price in March or April.

Let's assume that WFC drops by 50% between now and April. The shares would then cost $9.34 ($18.68 / 2). I would be forced to buy 200 shares (each option represents 100 shares) at $12.50 each. However, as I received the $360 for the option, the shares would only be costing me $10.70 ($12.50 - ($360 / 200)).

In other words, if WFC halves, I'd have to buy 200 shares at $12.50 and be down 13% and if WFC doesn't fall to $12.50 (a 33% fall), I'd be up $498.

This will be my first venture into the banking sector. It's quite risky using options - but no more risky than buying them directly. I'm basically risking losing alot of the potential upside but also hedging against the risk of some of the potential downside.

Obviously, my best case scenario would be if both shares finished slightly above the strike price. This would mean I'd then be able to sell new put options on the shares at lower strike prices for expiry later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭walter

how about oil company shares?
    any idea on Tullow and Dragon?

walter wrote: »
    Me, Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

walter wrote: »

Tullow and Dragon look like good value now, and compared to the banking sector have held up relatively well(compared to Banks, at least),however there are risks with both, TLW have a need for about 1.2 billion in renegotiated capitalisation(tough, but not impossible in the current climate)and have not succeeded in selling off an asset once valued at about .4billion.
    Dragon have one very large shareholder,ENOC, (over 50pc,IIRC), whose motives and direction are unknown.They also operate in Turkmeistan, which although not a Banana republic, is not exactly an open western democracy either.
    You also need to take into account Russia's recent attempts to form a GAZpec.
    In my opinion, As a longterm punt, these are probably worth taking a punt on,and it depends on what your interpretation of longterm is(mine would be 3-5 years) but DoYourOwnResearch, and I mean do your own research, not just read and believe what someone on a bulliten Board says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

or

Yeah a friend of my dad's did this as his retirement plan. Half went into AIB and the other half into BOI...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

or

Most banks are in the same boat so too diversify why not look at other sectors? Putting all your money in more than one banks shares is still all your eggs in one basket

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭heno55

Tullow and Dragon look like good value now, and compared to the banking sector have held up relatively well(compared to Banks, at least),however there are risks with both, TLW have a need for about 1.2 billion in renegotiated capitalisation(tough, but not impossible in the current climate)and have not succeeded in selling off an asset once valued at about .4billion.
    Dragon have one very large shareholder,ENOC, (over 50pc,IIRC), whose motives and direction are unknown.They also operate in Turkmeistan, which although not a Banana republic, is not exactly an open western democracy either.
    You also need to take into account Russia's recent attempts to form a GAZpec.
    In my opinion, As a longterm punt, these are probably worth taking a punt on,and it depends on what your interpretation of longterm is(mine would be 3-5 years) but DoYourOwnResearch, and I mean do your own research, not just read and believe what someone on a bulliten Board says.
    any hints on where to do research on these stocks

Most banks are in the same boat so too diversify why not look at other sectors? Putting all your money in more than one banks shares is still all your eggs in one basket

Every bank is not going to go bust!

Every bank is not going to go bust!

But it's pure guesswork as to which will and won't

But it's pure guesswork as to which will and won't

So one could put it in a few. They might get taken over, but all wont go bust!

heno55 wrote: »
    Company websites,Brokers notes,Oilbarrel.........Google is your friend.

• Advertisement

So one could put it in a few. They might get taken over, but all wont go bust!

Anglo arent bust either but as a publicly traded company they are. Same could happen to BOI/AIB/IL&P. I think it's extremely risky to only invest across one sector. To put it in perspective plenty of people were looking at bank shares when they were at €6. If they had hedged their exposure by buying across all three banking stocks they wouldnt be too happy now would they. Same all the way down the price range. Look back over this forum for examples

heno55 wrote: »

For shares in General one could check Business supplements, Davy's stock forecast ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Strangely AIB were hit more today than BOI, despite the percieved overexposure of BOI.

daveirl wrote: »

Don't have one. Well not to put all eggs in one basket.
    Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lomu

Lomu wrote: »

look at the money that could have been made :eek:, if you followed my advice that is:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I purchased the iShares Ftse 100 stock on Friday.
    The FTSE has been steadily rising since April, so i thought id give it ago.
    Considering the markets have bottomed I think its a good safe enough buy.

Dont have to pay Stamp tax on it either as its an ETF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭marathonic

Hi,

http://caps.fool.com is a good resource to research American Shares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Tiesto wrote: »
    I purchased the iShares Ftse 100 stock on Friday.
    The FTSE has been steadily rising since April, so i thought id give it ago.
    Considering the markets have bottomed I think its a good safe enough buy.

Dont have to pay Stamp tax on it either as its an ETF.

What about currency exposure?

Advertisement