Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parks & Rec; The Best American Comedy of the past 10 years? If not, what is?

Options
  • 14-09-2014 8:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

For me its Parks & Rec, just ahead of Community. But only just.

Parks has such a great cast, writing, deliverance of The feels when need be. Plus

This guy

RonSwanson.jpg

This beauty

Aubrey+Plaza+Paley+Center+Media+Presents+Parks+67LocMZ-hJzl.jpg

The funniest stupid guy in sitcom history

parks-and-recreation-andy.jpg

One of the best TV couples ever
    with the above two
    and so much more besides.

The only thing it has going against it is a weak first season and
    Leslie and Ben j
    just not looking right together. The rest is TV gold.

Im very partial to the first 6 on this list and they are more or less in order of my favourites. And I think Veep is only getting warmed up, by the time its finished its run it could well be among the best of all time.

So thats my case for mine. Why did you vote for yours?

Poll to follow. I think Ive covered most bases. All shows must have had its majority TV run since, roughly, 2004 onwards.

Parks & Rec; The Best American Comedy of the past 10 years? If not, what is? 323 votes

Parks & Recreation
    0% 1 vote
    Community
    15% 49 votes
    Entourage
    6% 22 votes
    The US Office
    2% 7 votes
    Veep
    10% 33 votes
    Its Always Sunny In Philidelphia
    1% 5 votes
    Modern Family
    19% 63 votes
    The Colbert Report
    5% 18 votes
    How I Met Your Mother
    0% 3 votes
    2 And A Half Men (ewww!)
    1% 4 votes
    The Big Bang Theory (ewww!)
    0% 0 votes
    30 Rock
    4% 16 votes
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    3% 12 votes
    Arrested Development
    13% 43 votes
    Another (say which)
    14% 47 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I'd give a shout to Modern Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I gave Parks and Rec the vote. Hilarious, loads of heart, an astonishingly good cast and great character development for a sitcom. Plus for much of the shows run it improved year on year. I'll be sad seeing it go this year but it is around the right time for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I'd give a shout to Modern Family.

Started off great but I bailed on it around season 3 or 4.

Remember when you vote to post a few words backing up your choice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Parks and Rec just has the closest thing to a perfect comedy cast in the last 15 years for sure. Not so much Rashida Jones but everybody else. Aziz Ansari is a very under-rated and Jean Ralphio is one of the best cameos in comedy history.

Dunno why Entourage is on this. A total bro show where Jeremy Piven is the only comedic foil for a fairly dull main cast.

Never laughed once at Modern Family and don't really get its success at all.

• Advertisement

Dunno why Entourage is on this.

It could be argued that its more of a Dramedy than an Comedy but I included it based on the characters of Ari Gold and Johnny Chase alone. They were two of the funniest TV characters of the past ten years, at least for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Curb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I voted for Big Bang, ewww and all ;).
    Love it, loved it from the very 1st episode.
    Never saw parks &rec so cant comment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Curb

Feckin love curb your enthusiasm. LD released a movie recently called clear history. It's curb your enthusiasm with some character name changes basically. Worth checking out if you, like me, haven't had a curb fix in too long. Long balls larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

For me it's very much a three way tie between Parks & Rec, Community and The US Office, but I ended up going with The Office as it's series finale is probably the most satisfying sitcom finale I've ever seen. I'm hoping both Parks and Community can manage such great final episodes.

Funnily enough all 3 of them has a dodgy season... Parks & Rec and The Office both had awful first seasons and of course Community had the gas leak year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Parks and Rec is great but It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is my pick. Offensive humour at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Arrested Development but only just ahead of Parks and Rec and Community. So hard to pick!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Parks is probably my all time favorite TV Show at this stage, I have re-watched the whole thing a good few times. So I voted for that. The last episode of last season was absolutely perfect. Hopefully this season doesn't drag it on longer than it should. Love the US Office & How I met Your Mother (It did go a bit **** after season 5 I think & the end was woeful). I still watch Modern Family & The Big Bang but that's just for something to watch really. Not shows I look forward to each week.

A show that seems to get little mention ever is House of Lies, caught up with it over the summer & it's fantastic imo. Great cast too, Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell, Ben Schwartz(John Ralphio). If anyone is looking for a smart black comedy show to watch, give this a try :)

Edit: Also Arrested Development is fecking awesome!
    2nd Edit: Brooklyn Nine Nine is deadly too

For me it's very much a three way tie between Parks & Rec, Community and The US Office, but I ended up going with The Office as it's series finale is probably the most satisfying sitcom finale I've ever seen. I'm hoping both Parks and Community can manage such great final episodes.

Funnily enough all 3 of them has a dodgy season... Parks & Rec and The Office both had awful first seasons and of course Community had the gas leak year...

Id agree with you re: the US Office series finale. It was so well done, right upto the final few seconds and who that chose to give the last scene to. Excellent TV and also in my top 3/4 American comedies.

It could be argued, however, that it had two dodgy seasons. The first one and at least one more after Steve Carrell left.

Still though, its up there with the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I found the Parks & Rec pilot seriously unfunny and was actually kind of bored.

I'm a big proponent of giving any show at least 8 episodes before making your mind up but I disliked it so much that I never went back to it.

Kirby wrote: »
    I found the Parks & Rec pilot seriously unfunny and was actually kind of bored.

I'm a big proponent of giving any show at least 8 episodes before making your mind up but I disliked it so much that I never went back to it.

Do try and give it another go.

If people on here can get past 2 or 3 seasons of Person Of Interest before its gets great (apparently) then giving a 22 minute show like this at least 8-10 episodes should be easy!

Season one compared to season 2 onwards of Parks is like night and day.

Who is voting for The Big Bang Theory?

suspicious06.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Louie should at least be in the poll.

Love Parks and Rec but I think CYE and AD were better at their peak.

Footoo wrote: »

I found Louie to be much more of a drama than a comedy.

Maybe a Mod could add it, I dont think I can now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'd have Eastbound & Down as my second favourite after Curb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I like Parks & Rec but with out doubt The Office (US) up until Steve Carrell left was some of the best comedy ever, In my opinion mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Voted for 30 rock,easily the best for me,doesn't have any bad seasons ,episodes are great characters great and enough seasons to watch.
    I watched ever episode about 5 times now and theirs still jokes only getting now.I think the fact they knew when to stop making them before it was ran into the ground.
    I think AD is close but only 3 good seasons with a poor 4th
    Is Frasier not supposed to be on this list as thats there or there abouts. Eastbound and down needs to be added and maybe Legit.

I think all those shows listed are very good and the bar was set very high.

Brooklyn nine nine only has one season but still very good as well as Silicon Valley but should be left off due to one season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Bobs burgers.

Archer

Is Frasier not supposed to be on this list as thats there or there abouts.

Although it ended in 2003 Frasier is, fundamentally, a 90s show and isnt covered by this poll. Neither is Friends for the same reason.

I was on the fence about adding Scrubs but decided that it too felt too old for this particular era as its golden years were 2001-2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Do the Venture Bros & Archer count?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I voted for Community, that said I've seen very little of the other top contenders. Nothing of P&R and only the first season of AD. But it's very difficult to imagine myself loving any of them as much as I do Community, but I haven't written it off. P&R has definitely gone up on my list of things to watch after seeing Pratt in Guardians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

J. Marston wrote: »
    Parks and Rec is great but It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is my pick. Offensive humour at its finest.
    This
    Footoo wrote: »

...and I find Louie way too crass, the situations are great cringe comedy though, but the stand-up segments are crass for crassness sake.

I really don't think Sunny/Louie should be considered to be the same genre as MF or P&R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

...also..no Veep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yep parks veep and ad for me

Advertisement