Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ten Week Roster

Options
  • 01-01-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

http://www.gra.cc/roster_proposals.shtml

What does everyone think of the proposed 10 week roster, apart from needing a masters degree just to read it!

a little birdy told me that this roster has been put out there to make the reverse country roster look more appealing and that no matter what it will be the reverse country we will be working next!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Doubt anything will happen for the moment that is only a proposal, it has to be passed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Whatever the outcome, the reverse country would be seen as a total failure on the part of the rep bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sweet Jesus , how can anyone understand that roster ? Must be a nightmare to follow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I can read it but I would not like it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

4 days off in a row - love it!
    Way better hours than at present - fewer late/early change overs
    Most i've spoke to about this one - like the look of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Zambia wrote: »
    I can read it but I would not like it one bit.

Outsider here, but 4 days off in a row can't be all that bad! 10 hour shifts a bit ruff now.

Outsider here to and I get 5 after NS so of course I would disagree :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cristoirde

I thought the reverse one cant come in its still breaking the law. there has to be a mandatory rest day bought in because ur finishing on nights? Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

deadwood wrote: »
    I'd suggest you keep your opinions on these matters to yourselves.
    Discuss them with your reps if you disapprove or otherwise.

I do agree with the above, but since its in the public domain already through two website I can't see any point in closing it.

I would ask members to be mindful of the fact EVERYONE can read this including management but more importantly.....those of society who don't need to know our work patterns.

Its up to ye if ye wish to comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Something will have to be concreted soon, I can see whatever is decided upon being implemented on 1/4/12.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

my only comment in relation to this is that we will only have 3 weekends off out of ten as opposed to 5 out of ten that we have now.

that i really dont like. other than that its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

if this comes in then we will work 6 of 10 sundays (60% of all sundays per year)

we currently work 2 of 4 sundays (50%)

edit.. having completed a masters degree in data encryption, i now realise that one of those extra sundays is a rest day.. so it is 5 out of 10 sundays.. still 50% of all sundays are worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Compared to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Great roster, can't wait for it!

The reverse roster is off the table.

The proposed new one will save you 20% on your fuel bill (4x10 instead of 5x8) and gives something like 42 extra rest days a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

audidiesel wrote: »
    my only comment in relation to this is that we will only have 3 weekends off out of ten as opposed to 5 out of ten that we have now.

that i really dont like. other than that its not too bad.

Dunno where your working but I get 1 in every 4 weekends off in the DMR at present.

I personally think the GRA one of 2,2,2,4 is easier to follow over the similar agsi one. it also avoids any nasty shifts in a row (some people dont fancy 4 nights or earlies, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

infacteh wrote: »
    Great roster, can't wait for it!

The reverse roster is off the table.

The proposed new one will save you 20% on your fuel bill (4x10 instead of 5x8) and gives something like 42 extra rest days a year!

This roster looks crap, if a person has a small family or wants family time its gone as when you are working you will hardly see them. Alot of young people who have no families etc might love it now but down the line you will hate it. As for 42 extra rest days a year you will have less annual leave and this will be taken in hours off and not as the present system. Think again before you jump, we have sold ourselves short before don't do it again.

NBar wrote: »
    Think again before you jump, we have sold ourselves short before don't do it again.

What makes you think we have any say in this?

foreign wrote: »
    What makes you think we have any say in this?

I would have presumed the GRA membership would vote on it ?

Delancey wrote: »
    I would have presumed the GRA membership would vote on it ?

Yeah, just like they are taking on board the ideas and criticisms of members?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

As for 42 extra rest days a year you will have less annual leave and this will be taken in hours off and not as the present system.

Apoogies for showing my ignorance... What is the present system and how does hours off compare?

Given the tone of the post, I take it the current system is more generous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This roster looks crap, if a person has a small family or wants family time its gone as when you are working you will hardly see them. Alot of young people who have no families etc might love it now but down the line you will hate it. As for 42 extra rest days a year you will have less annual leave and this will be taken in hours off and not as the present system. Think again before you jump, we have sold ourselves short before don't do it again.

The extra rest days are as a result of the longer shifts we will be working. The leave has not been agreed upon yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

.those of society who don't need to know our work patterns.

I often read this forum as find it interesting but why shouldn't society know your work patterns ? You are public/civil servants working in public. All aspects of your job including require training, work patterns, wages etc should be public.

Why shouldn't they be ?

amen wrote: »
    I often read this forum as find it interesting but why shouldn't society know your work patterns ? You are public/civil servants working in public. All aspects of your job including require training, work patterns, wages etc should be public.

Why shouldn't they be ?

Gardaí work 24/7/365. Is that good enough for you?

Amen the times that Gardai change shift is very usefull information to a lot of criminals.

All the public needs to know is the number to call.

To be honest I am surprised that the GRA has posted any proposed roster to the public. The GRA should invest in a login for members to discuss this type of thing on their site in private.

Amen the times that Gardai change shift is very usefull information to a lot of criminals.

To be honest I am surprised that the GRA has posted any proposed roster to the public. The GRA should invest in a login for members to discuss this type of thing on their site in private.

They have a secure forum but neglect it. Just like their members to be honest. I have yet to be informed about any dates of any of the meetings about the roster proposals and they have my home address, work address, personal email, work email and mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

amen wrote: »

Why shouldn't they be ?

What a ridiculous statement.

It is not in the public interest to know what Garda shift changeover times are and what concentration of personnel are working. The same applies to training.

Do you believe it is correct for criminals to be aware of Garda policies on its firearms holders and their instruction on the use of firearms? Of course its not.

We're not talking her about what time Mary in the Dept of Agriculture offices has her tea brealk at. I'm sure if you ring them they'll be quite happy to give that info.

However, you have no right or need to know about operational practices of AGS or the Defence Forces just because they are public servants.

you have a right to know their pay scales etc and plenty of other non sensitive information but to say you should know about "all aspects" of their job is stupid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Many Gardai are under threat from anything from tracksuit wearing junkies to some of the top organised criminals in the country.

There is no need for anybody to know when they are working and when their family homes are vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Well your representative association is rather silly in publishing the data on the web where anyone can obtain it.

I agree I don't need (not would I want to) to know all "aspects" of the job but I do think in general it is important to know general shift patterns as in you work 3 days get 2 off with out giving specific information in terms of the actual start times, numbers involved etc.
    The extra rest days are as a result of the longer shifts we will be working. The leave has not been agreed upon yet.

I was really interested in this bit. I can't determine if you are actually working more hours per year on the new shift pattern and thus require(deserve) more hours off or actually working the same hours per year but in a condensed manner and thus you shouldn't need any more days off a year as by the nature of the shift you will naturally work less days a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldn't necessarily hold a grudge against the GRA for publishing this - such information would be easily obtainable from the Department of Justice to begin with.

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks that information about the Garda shift pattern is secure and not freely available in the public domain is deluded.

Advertisement