Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why did they get rid of the glass milk bottles that the milkman delivered?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why they got rid of the glass milk bottles that came to your door everyday? I also remember that they had aluminium foil on top of it too.

Milk just doesn't taste the same since they got rid of milk bottles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Doesn't taste the same since they stopped putting proper milk in milk containers either.

"Modernisation":(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Cheaper to produce disposable plastic type cartons.

It's all down to money, baby.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Milkmen?

Are they still around?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ......."Modernisation":(

No it's called pasteurisation....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

God be with the days when you could see the cream on the top of the milk through the bottle.

Who could forget the stamped glass bottles?
    IMBL This bottle remains the property of Irish Milk Bottles Limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The glass bottles had UHT milk, but nobody likes that because it's sh1te. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The glass bottles had UHT milk, but nobody likes that because it's sh1te. :pac:

Our bottles never had that re-constituted piss in em. We had the good stuff.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

They're simply impossible to substitute for petrol bombs either :(
    Tetra-paks just go on fire before you even throw them...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the birds used to peck through the foil

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I remember in nursery school (laye 70's) we used to collect the foil tops and they were sent off to orphanages in Africa or other 3rd world places. Anyone else do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My milk has always been delivered in cartons :confused:

How long ago was this?!

Novella wrote: »

How long ago was this?!

20-25 yrs depending on where you are in the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Novella wrote: »

Jesus, you must have a lot of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

back in the late 80s early 90s.

In fact, I remember one time he delivered a bottle of orange juice in the same type of bottle. Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Wertz wrote: »
    20-25 yrs depending on where you are in the country...

Ah, I'm only 20 :)
    Jesus, you must have a lot of kids.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I can't remember the bottles but I do remember when the local milkman stopped delivering DDD branded milk and started delivering Avonmore instead. That was a sad dy for milk drinking in our house. My sister who was 15 at the time refused to drink avonmore and I don't think she has drank milk since.

Amberjack wrote: »
    I remember in nursery school (laye 70's) we used to collect the foil tops and they were sent off to orphanages in Africa or other 3rd world places. Anyone else do this?

Well law-de-daw, little lord Amberjack, nursery school's wern't invented for the ordinary folk until the 1990's. The bottle tops you collected were sent down to us to play with, orphanages indeed.

swingking wrote: »

In fact, I remember one time he delivered a bottle of orange juice in the same type of bottle. Anyone else get this?

No but I always remember him leaving it at my cousin's next door neighbours :pac:

Some milkmen used to deliver yoghurt too. There's a joke in there but I CBA...

If you take your time removing the foil, drink a third of the milk, pee into the bottle to fill it back up, replace the foil and gently shake you get something that looks like orange juice....

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

I remember my Mam used to cook with the cream off the top of the milk. She'd put it in rice pudding or beef stroganoff or suchlike. Then she'd be cursing if the birds had pecked through the foil tops and drank it so we got the little plastic hats for on top of the bottles.

I too remember the orange juice coming in the milk bottles. I also remember the Millenium milk bottles. In fact I think my Mam and Dad still have theirs. Wonder if it's a collector's item now?

Milk doesn't keep as long in those stupid cartons, even when it's in the fridge. I suppose that's to make you buy more. When I was in France, the supermarket was selling bottles you could put your milk into. Lovely big 1 litre ones with screw-tops so I bought one to take home and it keeps the milk lovely and cool. Sorted! :D

And yes...there are still milkmen. One still delivers to me. But they are a dying breed.

Jen ;->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

yoreMy ma says its because she asked him to pay allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Well law-de-daw, little lord Amberjack, nursery school's wern't invented for the ordinary folk until the 1990's.
    Don't be silly of course they were. I went to one in 19**. Well let's just say a long, long time before that.
    Anyone else remember getting the little 1/3 pint glass bottles of milk in school at lunchtime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

jenroche wrote:
    I too remember the orange juice coming in the milk bottles. I also remember the Millenium milk bottles. In fact I think my Mam and Dad still have theirs. Wonder if it's a collector's item now?

Must be. My mam has at least one bottle stored away in the press!

Hagar wrote: »
    Don't be silly of course they were. I went to one in 19**. Well let's just say a long, long time before that.
    Anyone else remember getting the little 1/3 pint glass bottles of milk in school at lunchtime?

Jayzus, i must be as old as you :P

I remember getting them in Primary school around 1982 or so, they were really mad tiny bottles!

A pity the Bottle factory in Ringsend had to close shortly after they stopped selling milk in the bottle:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

fcuked if i know cos i'm only a yunfla, but these days the milkman would probably be getting stabbed with the bottles for his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Milkmen?

Are they still around?

milkmen do it on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

despite sometimes getting Snowcream by mistake this country dearly needs its milkmen back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Does anyone know why they got rid of the glass milk bottles that came to your door everyday? I also remember that they had aluminium foil on top of it too.

Milk just doesn't taste the same since they got rid of milk bottles.

cost of producing glass compared to plastic/ cardboard....
    glass can break...
    etc... etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rollerdisco

Its homogenisation that f**ks up the milk means there is no cream and it lasts longer it tastes horrible you can get old milk in tescos with the yellow cap its gorgeous the fat in todays milk is indisgestable and ends up as colestoral allegedy :eek: start a bring back old milk campaigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i remember robbing the cream off the top of the bottle when i was a kid and i only threw some old crates a couple of weeks ago, they were very handy for decorating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

I was astounded to find that in the UK they still have milk men that deliver milk to your door. I couldn't believe it!

Advertisement