Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations pls - 1st weekend away from kids

• 30-03-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm looking for some recommendation for a night maybe even too since our girls were born. My husband has had a few breaks but as our youngest wouldn't take a bottle for ages I haven't had a night away in 3 years.

Anyway I am looking for some where quiet and peaceful so I can get plenty of sleep :-) I know, how boring!

Good food and wine are next on the priority list after sleep. I don't want to be too far away so thinking west Cork or Kerry at a stretch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I think the Blarney Golf resort Hotel would be a quiet hotel, it's out in the country outside Blarney about a 15 minute drive. I stayed there myself twice and it was quiet and then Blarney is really close to Cork city about a 20 minute drive. Haven't stayed in any hotels in West Cork so can't recommend any.

Haven't stayed in any hotels in Kerry either but I go there a lot because my parents have a mobile there. Glenbeigh and Kenmare are lovely places to go in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I don't know your budget but Castlemartyr Resort is incredible for relaxation and great food. It was actually where we went on our first break away from our daughter. Favourite hotel in Ireland.

Or Killarney is beautiful, so much to do/see. Incredible hotels.

My top picks would be

Aghadoe Heights / The Europe both 5* with beautiful Spas

The Malton / The Brehon 4* again with spas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

PLL wrote: »
    I don't know your budget but Castlemartyr Resort is incredible for relaxation and great food. It was actually where we went on our first break away from our daughter. Favourite hotel in Ireland.

I'd +1 Castlemartyr Resort too but if the OP is looking for West Cork, it's the wrong side of the county.

Inchydoney Island Lodge ticks the OPs boxes IMO. It isn't too far away. The hotel is great, very relaxing and has a spa. The food in the restaurant was fantastic when we stayed there. Also, there's a beautiful long beach right outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

It depends what you are after I suppose but I'd recommend the Bosun in Monkstown. It's got that nice homely feel to it and the food is second to none in my book especially the seafood and they have a huge wine list.

I haven't stayed in their Guesthouse but it looks pretty good from these -

http://www.thebosun.ie/index.php/the-bosun-guesthouse-monkstown-cork

http://www.thebosun.ie/index.php/the-bosun-guesthouse-monkstown-cork/take-a-look-at-our-bedrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

+1 for The Europe. Been a few times, lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

How about Cottages for Couples in Skibbereen sounds perfect for what ye want..

The have outdoor jacuzzis which is loverly. You can bring all you need with ye..
    If ye were to go out ye would have to drive into town but you could get a taxi if ye like, arrange for delivery too.. They are really nice I must say..Quite a relaxed enjoyable treat..

Caseys in Baltimore is quite nice also... Crab claws and wine is great the rooms are a little pricey sometimes but you cant go wrong with Baltimore..

The Sneem hotel could be loverly too...

This just popped up in the emails some late special offers...

I can defo say it is nice and relaxed. You even get a bottle of bubbles waiting for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you on your own, or with the husband?

No mention of budget, the europe is lovely, but crikey it is expensive at 300 euro a night.

Parknasilla is beautiful in kerry. pools, loads of lovely walking trails and stunning scenery.

Casey's of baltimore might suit?

Around clonakilty there are inchdoney and dunmore house hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I can highly recommend Casey's of Baltimore. We had a fantastic weekend there last September, great hotel and great food all at reasonable price.

the more ye mention Caseys the more I think of crab claws...I think ill have to book a stay down there for when they are back in season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Unz88

Second Castlemartyr. Hotel in Ballycotton is also quite nice, lovely pier to walk down onto and the Ballycotton Cliff Walk (5k) is nearby

Advertisement