Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Equality of marriage and love

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Really making the effort with this post/thread.

It's like you couldn't really be bothered to fini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Do we need another thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

galljga1 wrote: »
    Do we need another thread?

This is the beginning of the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Well, what I was about to say just as Turtwig was closing the old thread is that we've now got to work on the people who voted against the referendum, show them that passing SSM is not the end of the world and that all the predictions of the no side were lies simply told to bully them into voting no.

Let us not forget that most of the people who voted no are not homophobes*, they were simply afraid of the change to their world^ which while stultifying and autocratic at least had the virtue for them of being solid and dependable. They voted out of a manufactured fear that something would go wrong, either god striking their loved ones down, the church being forced into performing same sex marriages or millions of kids being adopted for the sole purpose of being neglected and or abused%.

Most of their fears will be evaporated by the rest of us going around living our normal lives, no matter our sexual orientation (like what happened with the divorce referendum), but there must be care taken to reinforce the ordinariness of two people in love getting married no matter the sexual orientation, while not going overboard on the spectacle and pushing the 30odd% who voted out of fear further into the arms of the homophobes. If we approach this right, in a few years we'll see over 95% support for SSM and an even further lessening of the dead hand influence of the church and other paleo-conservative groups like Iona on the people and the country.

Somebody could probably express this sentiment a lot better, but I hope I'm at least clear in my words.

*For the few who actually are, there's no helping, and they should be starved of media publicity from here on out.

^ As Terry Pratchett put it, we really don't live in a shared world (despite all of us being on the one planet), but on a myriad of myriads of individual imagined worlds set up to suit our philosophies and prejudices.

% Pretty much what Iona et al were hysterically shouting about during the "debates".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Butthurt begins:
    Manach wrote: »
    Given the invective & demonisation hurl at Mr. Quinn by the tolerant classes of Ireland, it was hardly likely that any form of concession that did not involve a form of his auto-proskynesis would have been accepted. :rolleyes:
    The electoral defeat is likely to one of many such, with the anti-clericalism coming in to bloom as is the fashion, but just as the eve of Pentecost approaches, so to does the enduring message of the Church's message and that hopefully will continue to be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Links234 wrote: »
    This is the beginning of the end!

This is not the end! This is not even the beginning of the end! It just might be the end of the end. :confused:

Hang on. /runs off to find the big book of clever quotes.

Aha. The end of the beginning!

So 'g', then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Butthurt begins:

You know it is a good thing for my sanity that I've no access to that part of boards.ie. The far-right wingnuttery that is the default voice over there is amazing in its scariness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

American Boy Scouts still struggling with the idea of gay leaders.
    Robert Gates, the president of the Boy Scouts of America, says the organization must reassess its ban on gay adults, saying, "We must deal with the world as it is, not as we might wish it to be."

Gates, a former CIA director and former defense secretary, warned officials in the organization in Atlanta on Thursday that failure to make changes quickly could spell "the end of us as a national movement."

"I am not asking the national board for any action to change our current policy at this meeting," he said. "But I must speak as plainly and bluntly to you as I spoke to presidents when I was director of CIA and secretary of defense."

Gates said many local councils were already challenging the national organization's membership policy, and many more could be expected to follow.

"While technically we have the authority to revoke their charters, such an action would deny the lifelong benefits of scouting to hundreds of thousands of boys and young men today and vastly more in the future," he said. "I will not take that path."

Gates said several states had passed laws protecting employment rights based on sexual orientation.

"Thus, between internal challenges and potential legal conflicts, the BSA finds itself in an unsustainable position," he said. "A position that makes us vulnerable to the possibility the courts simply will order us at some point to change our membership policy. We must all understand that this probably will happen sooner rather than later."

Source

I knew the CIA ran the boyscouts.

Heads off to conspiracy theory forum to setup new thread: CIA infiltrate boyscouts org with gay scout leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

In with the first mention of pizza. When will Hawaiian pizza be accepted as different and equal?

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    In with the first mention of pizza. When will Hawaiian pizza be accepted as different and equal?

Sorry, No. And before you start calling me pineappleaphobic, I do like pineapple on its own, just not on pizza. Everything has it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

lazygal wrote: »

NEVER! You pervert! Margheriata all the way.

Umm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I have nothing against peineapples but i don't agree with them on a pizza therefore nobody should have pineapples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

ziedth wrote:
    I have nothing against peineapples but i don't agree with them on a pizza therefore nobody should have pineapples.

Equality for hawian pizza !!

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Equality for hawian pizza !!

Every father and mother matters and have the right to enjoy pizza of their choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

From the old thread -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95605090&postcount=9717
    I had to laugh when I saw Diarmuid Martin interviewed earlier and he was asked about the young people that came out in droves to support the yes vote and he said "well the young people that came out are a product of 12 years of education in catholic schools" and you could see the lightbulb in his brain shatter at that point "oh"

Video here. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32858501 Doesn't include the 12 years quote though, anyone got a link to that?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

American Boy Scouts still struggling with the idea of gay leaders.

They better watch out, if they let the gays in then the atheists might be next.

Life ain't always empty.

They better watch out, if they let the gays in then the atheists might be next.

Gay atheists? I can hear the seven trumpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Wouldn't they all be atheists ? Unless they want to actively believe they're living in sin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Wouldn't they all be atheists ? Unless they want to actively believe they're living in sin

Catholicism is pretty much based on the idea that everyone is awful. If people didnt join because of what it said about them nobody would be a member.

• Advertisement

This is Ireland. We've protestant and Catholic atheists here.

Not necessarily. Maybe non christians or christians who choose to ignore some of the more nonsense bits of their religion or 'struggling' christians.

Catholicism is pretty much based on the idea that everyone is awful. If people didnt join because of what it said about them nobody would be a member.

I love that definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

galljga1 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Maybe non christians or christians who choose to ignore some of the more nonsense bits of their religion or 'struggling' christians.

There seems to be a "Don't ask/Don't tell" aspect to gay members of the congregation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Geniass wrote: »
    Really making the effort with this post/thread.

It's like you couldn't really be bothered to fini

I did it from my phone. You've no idea how awkward it is to close a thread, open one, link them together on your phone, all while your vision is blurring and the eyelids still don't want to stay properly open. It's hard. The hamsters needed saving though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You know it is a good thing for my sanity that I've no access to that part of boards.ie. The far-right wingnuttery that is the default voice over there is amazing in its scariness.
    I had a post written last night (never posted it) regarding the difference between the content of posts in the Christianity forum and here! I'm not the only one who notices it! It really debunks the argument that Atheism is simply a religion itself. To be expected I suppose though when so many of them surrender their ability of rational thought thus rendering themselves impotent of objective criticism.

Is anyone sick and tired of hearing about the 40% yet? Iona still playing the victim card strongly I see. The worst thing about this having to be achieved via referendum is that it made equality a political issue in 2015; The No side keep throwing around both the words winning and losing even after the result, not realising that they are winners too, and that we all would have been losers had a No vote prevailed. Equality is equality, it was disappointing to see it used as a political football by two fierce rivals for teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Breda O'Brien was determinedly making it political last night on RTE news. The way I saw it was her making a plea for Renua to either take the No-ers with them next year or else for the No-ers to make sure Renua reflected their views and their views only by joining the party. Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

The same sex marriage victory was a battle won for LGBT equality but the war isn't over. Irish transsexuals such as myself can't legally change our gender after a sex change yet. Let's get that sorted and maybe the Iona crowd will have a communal aneurism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod:

This type of cross posting and bickering is not acceptable. At the very least, you're expected to let the other poster know you've made this post about them. Providing a re-direct link in the source thread to your post. However, even so don't be surprised if future actions similar to this leads to cards. Please don't do this again.

Butthurt begins:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Breda O'Brien was determinedly making it political last night on RTE news. The way I saw it was her making a plea for Renua to either take the No-ers with them next year or else for the No-ers to make sure Renua reflected their views and their views only by joining the party. Interesting times ahead.

The No side have been complaining that all the political parties supported the Yes side, leaving Iona as the lone bastion of bigotry. Apparently they are solely funded through grassroots voters, which surprises me as I'm sure they have wealthy donors. (Tom Monaghan of Dominos Pizza)

Anyway, they're like a lost flock of sheep waiting on a new shepherd (political party). Lucinda must be looking attractive. I have no idea whether she or Renua supported the mar-ref or not. I don't believe they have a whip system, they're all 'independent' in that party. But looking at her twitter, I'd guess that she's none too pleased.

Advertisement