Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with OC - 2500k + Asrock Z68 Extreme4

• 21-08-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

ok im no expert on the matter, but im completely dumbfounded here..

Tried to go to 4.5/6/7ghz on the CPU (which runs very cold under the H80) and have disabled everything in the BIOS pretty much, and no matter how high i go the CPU underclocks to 4.3ghz under load. its not overheating cause im only up to 1.240V vcore and 57C on the hottest core under load (@4.3ghz :()

tried with prime95 and intel burn test. both scale it back until i stop the test.

tried ramming up the vcore to ~1.38v when going for 4.8ghz and no change. wouldnt boot until i upped Dram to 1.45v too which is fine now and passing intel burn testing @ 7.8Gb used so mem is ok.

its perfectly stable though :). im actually typing this on the PC while running the burn test..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

not all 2500ks can reach 4.5,

just to give you some idea of my results I am using a p8p67 evo board coupled with some corsair xms 3 ram.

I need 1.4v to reach 4.7 stable, 1.3v for 4.5, i also found the offset mode proved to be unstable @ 4.7 with the same on load vcore as a my static vcore, so I have gone for the option of a static 1.4v vcore.

dont be scared of pushing the vcore up, intel has a max recommended vcore of 1.5v although I would not run near that I would be happy to run up to 1.45v 24/7

there is a big difference in voltage degration and thermal degration, as long as you stay a good deal away from the TJMAX you will be fine.

my idle temps are 29/30c and full onload temps are in the high 50's using a zalman cnps performa with a push/pull fan setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

A+-Guru wrote: »
    not all 2500ks can reach 4.5,

That's disappointing :(

I have the same issue as OP, I use Asrock Z68 Pro3-M and I m blaming mobo.

AUTO voltages works fine @ 4.3Ghz idle temp 28C, load 65C.. playing with fixed voltages goes into bootloop or BSOD.

Can't believe 2500k can't go pass 4.5ghz stable! at least with proper cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

thanks for the reply. I found the problem to be the Turbo was actually underclocking it under load! fixed and was stable at 4.8ghz @1.3x vcore gonna go for 5ghz today or tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. I found the problem to be the Turbo was actually underclocking it under load! fixed and was stable at 4.8ghz @1.3x vcore gonna go for 5ghz today or tomorrow :)

Noo no you're not keeping it to yourself only :D

Turbo what? some specific settings there (voltage, limit..) or you disabled Turbo boost technology for good?

Here is my BIOS if you have time to peek if it looks like yours, cheers

I m just running 4.5Ghz at prime95 load for an hour already.. temp 82C. I just bumped multiplier to 45, voltages AUTO still :/

Was playing F1 game for an hour with the same settings and temp 50C max since CPU load only 50%. Real life scenario not as demanding on CPU as benchmarks.

Btw, up to 1.5v should be possible so I believe you have a great CPU/mobo/cooling there if doing 4.8Ghz@1.3xV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ill post up the BIOS and have a look at your stuff when I get a chance to get onto the PC. on mobile now. CPU looks good, but the PSU is faulty :( crashed the PC while playing BFBC2! after much debugging of the 6970s and swapping them out and stuff, turns out the Super Flower Amazon 1kW couldn't handle the crossfire power draw. gonna be the second thing I'm RMAing to HWVS in 1 order..

• Advertisement
Advertisement