Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help Choosing System Boiler

Options
  • 20-05-2015 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi im replacing the current myson appollo gas boiler. im right in saying i need a system one.... i have a hot water tank upstairs and cold tank in the attic, my current one heats either hot water or rads and water. so thats system correct?

ive been given the option of either
    1: glow worm flexicom sx18
    2: worchester bosch i18

what would you recommend, i wouldnt know alot about either brand.
    also does getting a system boiler make the small round red expansion cylinder in my hot press redundant as its built intto the new boiler, can this then be removed?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

From previous advice don't hire a taxi rgi.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mark..

From previous advice don't hire a taxi rgi.

A taxi RGI?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mark.. wrote: »
    A taxi RGI?

One that drives a taxi on the side

My personal choice would always be Ariston. By far the most intelligent boiler on the market to date.
    If you're sticking to the above boiler choices id go with Worcester over gloworm any day.
    Leave the red vessel in the hotpress if it's still ok. Never any harm for extra expansion.
    A few things to note,
    Your system must be powerflushed first
    The job should be no cheaper than 1700
    Get a magnetic filter fitted.
    Look into getting your controls upgraded at the same time as seai are offering 750 euro grant for new boiler and controls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Worcester bosch all the way Brilliant little boiler.
    Some installers can give you an 8 year warranty parts and labour when a Worcester magnetic filter is fitted.
    Also as dtp79 says look at getting the system zoned. I know if your an electric ireland customer they will give 616 euro towards a full heating up grade plus you will also get the 750 from seai. It has never been as cheap to get a heating up grade at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mark..

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    My personal choice would always be Ariston. By far the most intelligent boiler on the market to date.
    If you're sticking to the above boiler choices id go with Worcester over gloworm any day.
    Leave the red vessel in the hotpress if it's still ok. Never any harm for extra expansion.
    A few things to note,
    Your system must be powerflushed first
    The job should be no cheaper than 1700
    Get a magnetic filter fitted.
    Look into getting your controls upgraded at the same time as seai are offering 750 euro grant for new boiler and controls
    Worcester bosch all the way Brilliant little boiler.
    Some installers can give you an 8 year warranty parts and labour when a Worcester magnetic filter is fitted.
    Also as dtp79 says look at getting the system zoned. I know if your an electric ireland customer they will give 616 euro towards a full heating up grade plus you will also get the 750 from seai. It has never been as cheap to get a heating up grade at the moment.

great information lads. im set on the worcester bosch to be honest. them seem to be the "Bently" of boilers. my system will only allow me 1 zone(hot water + heat or just hot water) so ill be getting a valve for that since its the only one i can. new control panel, mag filter...

also read that for the full grant id need radiator thermostats. i was going to go with EPH for the 5 year warranty, any other ones youd recommend?

Mark.. wrote: »
    great information lads. im set on the worcester bosch to be honest. them seem to be the "Bently" of boilers. my system will only allow me 1 zone(hot water + heat or just hot water) so ill be getting a valve for that since its the only one i can. new control panel, mag filter...

also read that for the full grant id need radiator thermostats. i was going to go with EPH for the 5 year warranty, any other ones youd recommend?

The Bentley of boilers is a fair stretch. In terms of intelligence the Ariston makes the Bosch look simple. In terms of durability, as far as I know, ( I could be wrong here ) but a lot of Worcester parts are made by Ariston themselves. I don't see the big fuss about Bosch boilers. Good boilers yes, but nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The Bentley of boilers is a fair stretch. In terms of intelligence the Ariston makes the Bosch look simple. In terms of durability, as far as I know, ( I could be wrong here ) but a lot of Worcester parts are made by Ariston themselves. I don't see the big fuss about Bosch boilers. Good boilers yes, but nothing special

I'd be the other way tbh, can't see the attraction of ariston.
    If I was fitting one in my own house I'd go with a Bosch or Viessmann if I was flush at the time, but every one to their own

I've fitted a lot of gas boilers myself incl Worcester Bosch and a few months back I fitted an Ariston in my own house. I've been fitting them a couple of years now with no callbacks. I installed new controls and weather compensation in my house at the same time. The Ariston is set to Auto and runs the system perfectly. It picks the optimum temperature for the rads based on outside temperature, Ramps up when I need to boost the hot water and can all be controlled by its on board computer

Advertisement