Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meteor 4G

• 12-11-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got my Mifi device today - so far the 4G speed (14-15MBs) is alot faster than my ADSL speed of 4.5Mbs.

Only think is the damn thing isnt being picked up by my laptop. I have to connect it via the usb cable, which doesnt make it a mobile wifi device by any stretch! Mobile and Work laptop both see and can connect to it via wifi. Going to see if I can swap it in store even though I bought it online!

This is connected to my laptop

3096724537.png

Comments

That is very far off the 40 odd mb/s speeds we were promised, I wouldn't waste my money on this the upload is really crap ???

At least on my 6 mb Vodafone dsl I get unlimited download and so download at night at off peak times while I'm in bed.

What data limit is on this service from meteor ?

How much is it per month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Data limit is 30Gb with the plan I went with! 29.99 a month.

I have to admit I test it every day and sometimes the upload even when connnected by VPN is 1-2 Mbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Meteor 4G vs 3G speedtest in CIT at 5.30pm

Better again

I'm using a 4G wifi dongle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got my Mifi device today - so far the 4G speed (14-15MBs) is alot faster than my ADSL speed of 4.5Mbs.

Only think is the damn thing isnt being picked up by my laptop. I have to connect it via the usb cable, which doesnt make it a mobile wifi device by any stretch! Mobile and Work laptop both see and can connect to it via wifi. Going to see if I can swap it in store even though I bought it online!

This is connected to my laptop

3096724537.png

Check your laptops ip if trying to connect via wifi. it may be stuck on static instead of dynamic, thats why it wont connect.

Is this all 4g is capable of ? seriously ? is this going to be it for the next decade or more ?

And worst of all is there are not many on 4g, what happens when the service is hugely over subscribed like 3g ?

Still I'd take 17mb over 6. But the download limits are of no use, and the speed is of little use on a wireless device when 1mb will suffice for just web browsing.

Just one thing, are people using wireless N and not G on their laptops ? maybe the wireless G is a bottleneck, how about plugging directly into the laptop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

[quote=how about plugging directly into the laptop ?[/quote]

Op said he's doing that.

24/13 now outdoors.

24 down 13 up, I'd take that now !

Thing is are those speeds consistent ? Or is 23.5 mb then 9 then 4 then 12 ?

Meteor has no download limit until Feb or so ?

If they didn't introduce a limit I'd be all over it, my 200-300 GB a month wouldn't be long downloading !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Chris369

Wait until 3 release 4g it will be near 100mbs download in most parts of dublin in December

How do you know this ?

100 mb would be a dream but a waste with 15 odd gb limit.

I doubt I'll get 4g here for a long time anyway.

hallo dare wrote: »
    Check your laptops ip if trying to connect via wifi. it may be stuck on static instead of dynamic, thats why it wont connect.

Is there a way I can change/check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

That is very far off the 40 odd mb/s speeds we were promised, I wouldn't waste my money on this the upload is really crap ???

And you believed a flying horse? Look there's a flock of pigs:)

Not currently in a 4g area (away from home) but I got 5Mbs download speed which is pretty good this morning on the Meteor 3g network

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

I'm getting 22Mb/s with Vodafone 3G so those 4G speeds are not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

Not trolling people but also getting great speeds out of Vodafone on 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Iv Tryed 4g in Galway and got around 18mbps but 3G + in Galway is getting much the same.
    Iv returned the 4g and 3G is got very good and pretty much the same speeds. Also 4g eats data very fast.

703713031.png

Cork981 wrote: »
    703713031.png

WOW !!!

Just shows the potential, though 3G also had the potential but it was very oversubscribed and the providers never upgraded to meet demand, as long as you can connect to the internet in Ireland then that's the requirement.

In actual "fact" because operators have 4G licences doesn't mean they have to provide 4G at all, never mind about the speed !

Give 4G another while and it will slow down too, though with the tiny limits I doubt it would persuade me to change. If I got 40 Mbs and 300GB or more a month download limit then I'd get rid of the crappy 6mb down and 300kbs up land line !

How consistent are those 40mb speeds in cork ? or is it 5 mb 10 mb 20 mb 40 mb 1 mb every few seconds ?

• Advertisement

WOW !!!

Just shows the potential, though 3G also had the potential but it was very oversubscribed and the providers never upgraded to meet demand, as long as you can connect to the internet in Ireland then that's the requirement.

In actual "fact" because operators have 4G licences doesn't mean they have to provide 4G at all, never mind about the speed !

Give 4G another while and it will slow down too, though with the tiny limits I doubt it would persuade me to change. If I got 40 Mbs and 300GB or more a month download limit then I'd get rid of the crappy 6mb down and 300kbs up land line !

How consistent are those 40mb speeds in cork ? or is it 5 mb 10 mb 20 mb 40 mb 1 mb every few seconds ?
    The average is about 18/19 down and 7 up which isn't to bad.
    I have seen it go as high as 60/18 at one point.
    Indoor coverage isn't great and seems to be a lot better on the 4G dongle provide by meteor.

Either the phone prioritises a 5 bar edge connection over a weaker 4G signal or else the iphone isn't using the 800mhz band.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Zauka

4G is a life changing experience. Once you try it you never go back.

Zauka

I'd still take 18 meg !

Pity they're going to cap the download limit in March !

I think operators don't realise the potential for very fast unlimited, I mean 40 + mb wireless on this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Getting 2 bars of 4g about 4 miles from nearest mast , looking at mounting antenna but need to find out what frequency is in use is it 800 or 1800 or is it both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

WOW !!!

Me too

I was in My sisters in Naas today and she has UPC 150 mb I think it is, but due to her crappy router I could "only" get 30 mb, which wasn't bad on the Ipad or Mobile.

So I fired up a download and I just couldn't believe the difference 30 mb can make from 6, I can only imagine what 150 mb is like !

712544054.png

That's nice al right, it's a shame they're going to cap it next March to something stupid, I mean 3-10 mb is fine with a silly low 5-10 gb limit so what's the point of 50 odd mb ?

And when a lot more people get on 4g in the next few years it will be no better than 3g.

The E.U need to set a minimum of 50mb and unlimited data,

Unfortunately the way it works now is that the telecoms providers are not even obliged to provide any internet connectivity of any kind only voice. Never mind about speed. But we really need the E.U to take the whip out. 50 mb is a good starting point and reviewed every few years.

Non of the providers even have to offer 4g and it will have even less coverage than 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I was in My sisters in Naas today and she has UPC 150 mb I think it is, but due to her crappy router I could "only" get 30 mb, which wasn't bad on the Ipad or Mobile.

So I fired up a download and I just couldn't believe the difference 30 mb can make from 6, I can only imagine what 150 mb is like !

30Mbps is about the most you can expect on ANY WIFI point. Unless you start going MIMO or bending the standards, as some boxes do.

• Advertisement

I'm getting this on 3 mobile now.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3168805612][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3168805612.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]3168805612.png

Average though can be 2-7 mb. So why would I bother going to 4g ? of course three are not charging extra, and offer the same 15gb afaik, chances are I won't see 4g here anyway.

The only hope of me seeing anything over 6mb will be satellite, the prices have come down a hell of a lot in the last 10 years or so when I had a one way satellite service, I needed the land line as the uplink !

The prices have come down hugely for two way satellite and the speeds greatly improved, but the limits are a little low, though some providers offer unlimited off-peak data.

Advertisement