Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Post Codes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It isn't much use in terms of SAT NAV because the postcode for IKEA in Belfast brings ya to a scrap yard in belfast city centre

I used it in Scotland. Got the postcode for a cinema, typed it into a sat nav and brought me to the carpark for the cinema.

Maybe you just had a crap sat nav system

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

brim4brim wrote: »
    I used it in Scotland. Got the postcode for a cinema, typed it into a sat nav and brought me to the carpark for the cinema.

Maybe you just had a crap sat nav system
    I'll have you know my N95 SAT NAV software is not crap*

*May not entirely be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Postcodes are pretty useless in Ireland.

It's outmoded and overcrowded in England with their system narrowing it down to far. To 5 or 10 houses. They are trying to change it to include bigger areas but changing a 50 year old system ingrained in culture isn't easy.

If we brought in postcodes it would have so little an advantage as to be not worth the money. For example they're are 29,000 people in Leitrim, what they hell is the point of postcodes there. the postman could probably just open the bag in Mohill and start shouting out names and they'd get to the right person.

Ireland still has a strong county, town, parish, townland address structure. This has broken down in a lot of European countries (and gets difficult in larger countries) but for Ireland is as accurate as any new postcode thing will ever be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Postal code system for the country is coming, Monaghan and Louth have got the signs up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We don't need postcodes. Our postmen are in a class of their own when it comes to mail delivery, there's no where you can hide, they will find you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Postcodes FTW!

I live in Lismore Heights in Waterford city. Quite regularly our mail gets sent to Lismore, Co. Waterford because of this and deliveries can be days late!

ScumLord wrote: »
    We don't need postcodes. Our postmen are in a class of their own when it comes to mail delivery, there's no where you can hide, they will find you.

I think the main problem with people that don't see a need for postcodes is that they associate postcodes with the An Post which is the whole problem.

An Post don't want them, they have their own system they don't tell people about.

All other courier services and emergency services however continue to struggle to find the place just after the two trees or the house half way down the street with no number on it because no house on that street has numbers on it and is called main street like half the one road villages in the country.

Post codes are a coherent, easy to understand and use system to find locations. I don't understand peoples hatreds for them. Why do we have landline phone numbers? There aren't enough people in the country. We should just dial the name and address of the person on the phone and get through to them. Lunacy!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Postal code system for the country is coming, Monaghan and Louth have got the signs up already.

Do tell?

We dont need them for post but we really do for sat nav.

Also Dublin DOESNT have postcodes its has postal postal districts which are a completely different thing.

We should copy the US system as in numbers (eg 9836298) as it would be more actuate and not the UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

That PONC website mentioned previously seems to have the right idea, a unique code based on your exact geographical location. Easy to locate where you are on the map and get the code.

It would be very handy for your typical (useless) courier to tap this code into his sat-nav and follow the directions to your house. The amount of times I've had to describe my location to a delivery man or worse, drive into town to meet them..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It would make my current job a hell of a lot easier if we got them in. Can't understand why we wouldn't.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote: »
    Post codes are a coherent, easy to understand and use system to find locations.
    What if you don't want to be found? Ninja needs not paramedic attention, ninja heels himself through meditation.

I don't see what difference postcodes will make out the country. Will the one or two houses out some country road get there own postcode? Or will a parish be a postcode making them useless at pinpointing anyone. The other thing is all these people need to do is pull over in town and ask a local.

What if you don't want to be found? Ninja needs not paramedic attention, ninja heels himself through meditation.

I don't see what difference postcodes will make out the country. Will the one or two houses out some country road get there own postcode? Or will a parish be a postcode making them useless at pinpointing anyone. The other thing is all these people need to do is pull over in town and ask a local.

The PONC System gives a postcode to every location in the country. All you do is tell it where you are and it does maths based on your geographical co-ordinates and comes up with a unique post code for your location.

This means temporary stalls or fairs can put a postcode on their posters and everyone will be able to get there using a satnav system.

As for pulling over and asking someone.

1) There has to be someone there to ask and in the country that isn't always the case without driving for miles and they might not know the person. Oh and the other thing that the person could be crap at giving directions.

2) The person might be new to the area having just bought a house lets say. Now he's getting all his furniture and fittings delivered and the guy delivering needs to know where the fooker lives!

You can argue that you can just ask someone where so and so lives but its not a reliable system which is the point of postcodes which are a reliable system just like phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

From what I was told a few months back and this is from someone within An Post, they were looking at using the new "L" road signs along with PON codes to establish a post code system for rural areas.

• hellboy99 wrote: »
    From what I was told a few months back and this is from someone within An Post, they were looking at using the new "L" road signs along with PON codes to establish a post code system for rural areas.

That would make more sense, as the PONC system is useless to anyone who doesn't have a satnav system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Trained owls a lá Harry Potter ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

the current postal system works fine, the only people really pushing for Post Codes are the Directmail spammers and the door to door sales people as it would facilitate the neat breakdown of the nation into easily managed sections.

being the only country in europe AFAIK that dont have postcodes is brilliant, when you are checkin in somewhere at night in a foreign country, they notice that there is no postcode on yer form and they start at ya, then you point out that Ireland dosent have or need postcodes, I generally piut the address as

Coat, Mahatma
    Parish,
    County,
    Ireland.

and most of the stuff makes its way home.

+1
    I love the way I can post something home from anywhere in the world and only require three words for the address, my town name and county name are the same, so its just
    Townland,
    County,
    Ireland.
    Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ireland is too small and backward to have post codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Last night i was involved in an incedent where an ambulance was called and the situation was extremely serious.

The address was described over the phone and i ran out and waited at the corner of the road the ambulance was fine i waved it down and then directed it in not probs here.
    Ran back in paramedics called doctor had to run out (which is through a housing estate over to the road not to far but not short either) flagged down the doc pointed where to go but the ejit turns right instead of going straight so i legged it after him and got in the car and then directed him back.

Both units had sat navs and had there been a post code they could have followed them straight to the door.

My situation was fine as there were enough people to stay and help the person while i could go away but for someone on there own in somewhere hard to find what do you do.

I get the whole love of the country and being backward and im all for that my gf's dad has got post address to George, The Farm, Townland, Nearest Town. I dont think this will nesecarily change.But in all seriousness if it will help ambulances and other people find places they need to get to fast then it needs to be implemented.

I don't know what sat navs are like now but I tested one around here about a year ago and most the roads weren't on it. Maybe that's improved, I notice that just about every small road in the country is on Google earth.

• +1
    I love the way I can post something home from anywhere in the world and only require three words for the address, my town name and county name are the same, so its just
    Townland,
    County,
    Ireland.
    Great!

You can go one better with post codes:

Harper Scrawny Viewfinder
    23, NN4 5AS
    United Kingdom.

I tested it once and the postcard was waiting for me when I got home.

• Advertisement

I don't know what sat navs are like now but I tested one around here about a year ago and most the roads weren't on it. Maybe that's improved, I notice that just about every small road in the country is on Google earth.

Yes and Google earth use what are considered the poor maps for Ireland from Teleatlas instead of Navteq.

That is all Ireland's backward fault again as the OSI (I think that is it, ordinant survey of Ireland or whatever they call themselves) aren't giving cheap access to sat nav manufacturers so they are mapping all the roads themselves duplicating effort, its a wonder they bother. Our maps are updated less often as a result.

Also TomTom Satnavs (some of them) allow you to map custom routes now and share that data with other users over the Internet so people can plot out their new housing estate, upload it to TomTom who can share it out to other users without having to wait for the map data to catch up.

I think offering this system to emergency services would be much better than relying on someone to flag them down. If someone would rather people die because the emergency services can't find them rather than remember a 6/7 digit code, I think there opinions can be ignored TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Post Codes now available for Ireland in the form of PON Codes at www.irishpostcodes.ie. Also available for testing on Garmin Nuvi 700 series SatNav's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I couldn't take out a mobile contract with o2 recently, as my building has 500 apartments in it, all sharing a postcode. (Post is sorted at reception). And the way o2 find your address is by typing in your postcode, and selecting your address from a list that comes up.

However, their system only shows a max of 25 addresses. And since I live in number 4xx, it didn't come up, and there was no way their system would let me take out a contract.
    I don't understand why they don't just give every house an individual post code.
    Using letters and numbers to make a six digit postcode, there's 36 to the power of six possible individual postcodes, which is far more than the population of the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Blisterman,

PON Codes for Ireland have a resolution of +/- 6 meters so most buildings will have a unique Post code - defined by 7 alphanumeric characters. Futhermore there is provision for an 8th optional character to define floor number.

See details here: http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/findoutmore.php

and here:http://www.gpsireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=79&limit=1&limitstart=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

garydubh wrote: »
    Post Codes now available for Ireland in the form of PON Codes at www.irishpostcodes.ie. Also available for testing on Garmin Nuvi 700 series SatNav's

Calling these postcodes is a bit of a stretch. They appear to be a proprietary idea of one company with no official standing. You might just as well suggest that an OSI grid reference is a postcode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

mayordenis wrote: »
    tbh would love if we brought them in - every web form requires them and then rables back at me about using "00000" or "n/a"

why would a country bring in another confusing number system just because a few sleazy web programmers can't deal with the fact that some people don't have post codes? that doesn't make any sense

the only reason for post codes is to make sure insecure types don't get any post from people they havn't told the address to. of course a determined stalker will just put the mail bomb in the letterbox themselves but thats another story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i got a letter the other day from phibsboro that read 'D.X. 149004 Phibsboro'. what the feck does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

but surely if they introduced postcodes nobody would use them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

i got a letter the other day from phibsboro that read 'D.X. 149004 Phibsboro'. what the feck does that mean?

DX Numbers related to an over night delivery service when I used to be office based, it wasn't run by An Post though.

Awww, I'd prefer if we didn't have the post codes, I think its quaint having mad addresses that the post manages to reach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

but surely if they introduced postcodes nobody would use them?

until they start binning all the letters without postcodes.

Advertisement