Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Imagine still charging me?

• 17-05-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I was a customer of Imagine Broadband from 2006 until last year. While checking my bank account online today I discovered my account was being debited €16.24 this month and the same amount two months ago purportedly by Imagine. Since I was with Imagine I switched to Vodafone and am now switching to Eircom. I was with Vodafone for about 6 months.

Could there be a legitimate explanation for these charges or can I go ahead and cancel the direct debit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Did you cancel the direct debit with your bank previously?

They shouldn't be accessing your account if you already cancelled your service with them and your direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the only way you are going to find out is to call imagine and ask them. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    the only way you are going to find out is to call imagine and ask them. ;)

Either way they should have contacted you first about taking money. These are the rules of direct debit scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Did you cancel the direct debit with your bank previously?

They shouldn't be accessing your account if you already cancelled your service with them and your direct debit.
    I didn't think I needed to cancel the direct-debit. I have now done so. Their response will be interesting. I've now discovered I switched from them over a year ago, yet they continued charging me every too months.

I didn't think I needed to cancel the direct-debit. I have now done so. Their response will be interesting. I've now discovered I switched from them over a year ago, yet they continued charging me every too months.

You need to contact them and complain, asking why they continued to take your money. Keep a close eye on your account as the direct debit could be reactivated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Welcome to the wondeful world of direct debits:mad:

Were they not giving you notice before each debit after you left them?

Remember that once you sign a dd instruction you lose control of your account - there is no upfront protection whatsoever.

As Cookie points out above cancelled dd's can be quite easily resubmitted.

http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/YourRightsasaPayer
    If it is established that an unauthorised direct debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed an immediate refund by your bank of the amount so charged where you notify your bank without undue delay on becoming aware of the unauthorised direct debit, and in any event no later than 13 months after the date of debiting of such direct debit to your account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to Consumer Issues since it's not relating to Broadband.
    I didn't think I needed to cancel the direct-debit.

You should always cancel unwanted direct debits yourself, don't rely on the biller to do so. Most billers don't issue a cancellation notice to the bank anyway, they just stop collecting on it. This means it's still active and can be debited again at any time by accident. Unless you specifically stop it, your original permission for them to debit your account remains valid.

jor el wrote: »
    Thread moved to Consumer Issues since it's not relating to Broadband.

You should always cancel unwanted direct debits yourself, don't rely on the biller to do so. Most billers don't issue a cancellation notice to the bank anyway, they just stop collecting on it. This means it's still active and can be debited again at any time by accident. Unless you specifically stop it, your original permission for them to debit your account remains valid.

Yes but that permission is not open ended. In order for a dd to be legitimate it must comply with the rules of the scheme. Any legitimate dd hitting an account implicitly carries the permission of the account holder provided:

They have been given the correct advance notice.

The amount has not been disputed.

Staff in many companies appear to believe that the existence of a dd instruction allows them to do as they wish in respect of accessing the customer account - this is not the case.

In the immortal words of a Bord Gais employee to whom I complained about double dd'ing my account three times in the space of five months:

"But sure we have your number".

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

This happened to me as well with Imagine. Took 3 months to sort out, I had emails from them saying I would not be charged again and everything.

Luckily I had the transactions on credit card and proof that I cancelled through email, so I could fall back on a Chargeback if needed.

In the end persistence paid off and they returned the money.

I rang them today. They say it's because I was still using their router. I told them I was not I was using the Vodafone router. Then they said that it was in my possession so that's why I was charged and for being able to get it replaced if needs be. I have asked them for a refund. He says he'll get back to me on whether that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Time to make a formal complaint and cc comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You need to contact them and complain, asking why they continued to take your money. Keep a close eye on your account as the direct debit could be reactivated.
    I rang them today. They say it's because I was still using their router. I told them I was not I was using the Vodafone router. Then they said that it was in my possession so that's why I was charged and for being able to get it replaced if needs be. I have asked them for a refund. He says he'll get back to me on whether that happens.

You should print off your bank statement showing all the debits since you left imagine and go immediately and IN PERSON to your bank and request that all the disputed debits be refunded to your account asap. they should be able to do this within a couple of days, tell them they are obliged to do this.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Time to make a formal complaint and cc comreg.
    I will if they don't refund me.
    foggy_lad wrote:
    You should print off your bank statement showing all the debits since you left imagine and go immediately and IN PERSON to your bank and request that all the disputed debits be refunded to your account asap. they should be able to do this within a couple of days, tell them they are obliged to do this.
    Same answer as above. Thanks for info and support folks. :)

When you cancelled did they ask you for the router back? Have you checked the terms and conditions to see if there is anything there about returning the router - also were they notifying you of the direct debits after you had left?

dub45 wrote: »
    When you cancelled did they ask you for the router back? Have you checked the terms and conditions to see if there is anything there about returning the router - also were they notifying you of the direct debits after you had left?
    They didn't contact me to ask for the router back. I'm fairly sure the router stopped working anyway. I knew nothing of the continued direct debits until I checked my bank account transactions online a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I will if they don't refund me.Same answer as above. Thanks for info and support folks. :)

OP, you can get a refund TODAY. Ring your bank and tell them that there are un-authorised direct debits taken from your account,. Have details of the amounts and dates. Under the Direct Debut Scheme, they MUST do this.
    Paying Banks Must:
    • Only pay direct debits in accordance with customers’ Instructions
    • Ensure that unauthorised and/or cancelled direct debits are intercepted and returned immediately on presentation
    • Promptly refund customers for indemnity claims and present the Indemnity to the Originator
    • Assist customers in resolving disputes with Originators
    • Inform the Sponsoring Bank if an Originator is not adhering to the Scheme Rules

You must ring your local branch. The one that holds your current account that the Direct Debit money is coming out of.

Your bank will tell you to get on to Imagine. Tell them, that under the Direct Debit Scheme, the bank is responsible for refunding you IMMEDIATELY. Your bank will then chance Imagine's bank for a refund but that's not your problem.

What bank are you with? I might be able to assist more if it's BOI and your branch aren't helping or giving a refund today.

RangeR wrote: »
    OP, you can get a refund TODAY. Ring your bank and tell them that there are un-authorised direct debits taken from your account,. Have details of the amounts and dates. Under the Direct Debut Scheme, they MUST do this.

You must ring your local branch. The one that holds your current account that the Direct Debit money is coming out of.

Your bank will tell you to get on to Imagine. Tell them, that under the Direct Debit Scheme, the bank is responsible for refunding you IMMEDIATELY. Your bank will then chance Imagine's bank for a refund but that's not your problem.

What bank are you with? I might be able to assist more if it's BOI and your branch aren't helping or giving a refund today.
    Thanks RangeR but I'm going to have a read through the terms and conditions first to make sure what they did was not allowed. The man on the phone claimed it had to do with my continued possession of their router.

Advertisement