Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has the recession affected you?

• 28-02-2012 11:07am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭

what recession

edit: emmm i'm not the OP...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 queenie1981

I honestly dont think i have ever felt this low or ****ty before!!! it sucks not to have an extra bob at the end of the week to buy a treat. with 3 kids its so hard not to feel depressed and lonely! a simple trip to town is now a no no as the funds are'nt there to buy them something small even. the saying "no mon no fun" has never been a more true saying! we now rely on hand me downs for clothes, days out are to the playground but only when the weather permits! everything sucks right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

bluewolf wrote: »
    what recession

Amazing. How did your post manage to appear first then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

SHE'S A WITCH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Glitch in the matrix!

And CardBordWindow, bluewolf is a she :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 queenie1981

ha ha i cant even remain at the top of my thread:rolleyes: see told you the recession sucks!!

• Advertisement

ha ha i cant even remain at the top of my thread:rolleyes: see told you the recession sucks!!
    Boards must have reached it's max quota of recession threads! It's taking action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bluewolf wrote: »
    what recession

wow, talk about in before the recession :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

maybe bluewolf is a haxor :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

HE'S A WITCH!!!

Ah come on now let's be reasonable here.

Now, she may not be a which. However, if she weighs the same as a duck she is then made of wood and is therefore a witch! Anyone got a duck handy?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm scared.

Burn her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yeah it has effected me, my lifestyle took a tumble and I have to watch my pennies. But I am just as happy/unhappy as I was in the boom, so material wise it has effected me, but happiness fulfillment wise I am no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

well I have less money at the end of the month but thats due to living alone at the mo, need to move somewhere cheaper soon, waiting to hear back on a new job so if I get that will be moving, its kinda a catch 22, I can either stay where I am and pay crazy rent but I cant afford the new rent and deposit to move in somewhere alone again, dont want to live with randomers though, too many crazy people and I like my own space.

smash wrote: »
    Glitch in the matrix!

And CardBordWindow, bluewolf is a she :D
    Sorry, I knew that. Silly keyboard didn't type what I wanted it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

a simple trip to town is now a no no as the funds are'nt there to buy them something small even. the saying "no mon no fun" has never been a more true saying! we now rely on hand me downs for clothes, days out are to the playground but only when the weather permits! everything sucks right now!!

You could try taking them to town without buying them anything. They'll probably survive.

Personally I've never been as well off financially as I am at the moment, but my spending habits have never changed.

The recession sucks balls. Prices everywhere are going up but wages are either going down or have not risen in years. A trip to the cinema costs around €50 these days when you take the costs of tickets, fuel and snacks into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I havent worked for 3 years and have had to move back in with my aul pair though necessity.

I have nothing. Literally nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The vast majority of my friends dont live in the country anymore, my village looks like a ghost town, money is very tight and I'll have to emigrate fairly shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'm always on the lookout for a bargain. I do grocery shopping in Lidl. I've given up cigarettes. Its great to have that extra 40-50 euro a week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Not too much...I never had any money to begin with, sadly. I go out less now though, and shop in Lidl and Aldi more. Every little helps, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Nah not really. But I'm still emigrating. Because I can't be arsed hanging around and paying for someone elses bankruptcy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

apart form the USC not really, things are a lot cheaper in shops now i've noticed too. Load of bargains out there in tesco's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I go out less but it's nothing to do with the recession. My friends are all married and have kids. *BOO-URNS*

On the other hand, I should have my mortgage paid off next year, 4 years early. I didn't go mad during the boom and I'm not suffering now.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Not really a recession, if you went for a sprint and return to walking. Everything back to norm.

On the other hand, I should have my mortgage paid off next year, 4 years early. I didn't go mad during the boom and I'm not suffering now.

Sounds like you bought a long time ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I completely understand OP we have 3 kids and both of us are in full time employment but it often feels that we are working just to pay the bills. I live in fear of the car breaking down or any expense coming out of the blue as it would set us back miles. Resession sucks big hairy balls, I dont even mind the not going out but the fear is ****ty.

Homer quote " I has 3 kids and no monies, why cant I have 3 monies and no kids"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Thankfully, it hasn't negatively affected me.

I was in school and college for the Celtic Tiger years and got a job working abroad not long after I graduated so I've been lucky. As I had always wanted to live abroad, it's no skin off my nose to leave Ireland.

I can see how it's affecting my friends, though. Loads of them packing up and moving off out of economic necessity, most of them don't want to go (unlike me). And they're the lucky ones, they can afford it. Of the ones that couldn't, the majority are struggling to find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

smash wrote: »
    Sounds like you bought a long time ago though.

I suppose. Early '98.

I suppose. Early '98.
    If you'd bought even 6/7 years later it would be a totally different ball game. You're lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

We really should have done an Iceland.
    Can we not just still do an Iceland??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hmm let me see, a couple of job offers which I have been happy to decline apart from one which I might consider, oh and 2 pay rises in the last year so yes the recession is great :)

My earnings increased by a decent amount after the recession hit

Advertisement