Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fixing a HDMI cable

Options
  • 13-01-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

hi there

does anyone know of any commercial company that can repair hdmi cables where the connector has broken off?

Basically, I have two cables that were run through partition walls and over the ceiling so replacing the cables is a prohibitively disruptive job. The end of the cables unfortunately broke off as they were stretched at an angle, so what i have is pictured below - can anyone repair these?

thanks for any advice!

4rfIUo.jpg

xrip7k.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

For what it's worth would you attempt it your self?
    If you google repair hdmi cable there are a lot of guides to do this. Its time consuming but might be worth a shot?
    If not id say your best bet is to ask an electrician or go into your local tv shop. They will surely send you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

thanks yes - I had already looked up self repair and it seemed rather involved! As the photos show, I do have rather fat fingers for such delicate looking work! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it's not even how small it is, HDMI is differential signals so if you don't keep the impedances matched when you repair it won't work.

not something i recommend you attempt if you don't know what you are at. if you can't find anything else and they are going to be scrapped anyway might be worth a shot then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

hi there

does anyone know of any commercial company that can repair hdmi cables where the connector has broken off?

Basically, I have two cables that were run through partition walls and over the ceiling so rep leaving the cables is a prohibitively disruptive job. The end of the cables unfortunately broke off as they were stretched at an angle, so what i have is pictured below - can anyone repair these?

thanks for any advice!

4rfIUo.jpg

xrip7k.jpg

If it can't be repaired, I'd tape the end of a good HDMI cable to the end of that broken one and slowly try and push/pull it through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

I would cut up a wire coat hanger and use that to ties the ends of the HDMI cables together (nice and tight mind), that way you can use a bit of the brute force, less of the ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

yeah i taped things up and tried to pull through but it seems to be getting caught very early in the process. Depressing. Might be looking at knocking holes in the walls :(

Advertisement