Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Hey all
    I presume I'm not to late to join? Seems to be going well for ye so far. Just wondering a few things. Where exactly is it that ye meet, oh and its alright if I join ye? I'll probably be more of a every 2nd meeting person cause quite busy with college work for a few months. The Motel Life sounds pretty good so I might start with that, has anyone been able to get a copy in Galway city?

Also I was just thinking, if the books are chosen a few weeks in advance, it might make sense for one person to order copies for a few people say of Amazon? Obviously this person would get paid by each person. This would reduce shipping costs, the books are usually cheaper on Amazon, and would make it easier for people to get the book. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Sec... I'll bring my big ass camera on Tuesday!

** Official Book Club Photographer **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

That would be cool Hambo. Get some use out of that monstrosity!

Bar No. 8 is on Dock Road. This road is the one way street next to the commercial docks. The bar is just a few doors down from Sheridan's (the early house. Actually, is it still an early house?) and no...it's not too late to join

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I've got just under half the book to read before Tuesday night!:eek:

Im trying to read it at the moment but it's not going to well as I have been inflicted with a terrible hangover by a renegade bottle of Buckfast. Book Clubs and Buckfast just don't belong together:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I'm about halfway through at this point. I can't say it's the most gripping book I've read.

I've got about 100 ish pages to do. So Again I will be finished.

Yah I've about 180 pages left to go... it's a good book though, so at least it's not like it's hard work!

Hi Everyone,

Our 3rd meeting of BookClub is this evening, Bar No. 8 @ 7:30pm so get your skates on if you still have 300 pages to read:)

Don't forget your camera Pope Buckfast, or the leotards you want us all to dress in for the group photo.

I've already started the next book!

I look great in a 'tard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garyal

Enjoy the meeting (pints). Won't make it I'm afraid but I'm interested see the pics, if a bit scared :eek:

Finished book. Will show, but likely a good bit tardy.

tristanc wrote: »
    Finished book. Will show, but likely a good bit tardy.

Okay, I guess an hour and half late was more then just tardy. Enjoy the end of discussion I dropped in on, def a good turn out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hazelf

Hey all,

So the book that I would like to pick for April 15th is

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheit-451-Ray-Bradbury/dp/0345342968

Sounds good Hazel. Looking forward to reading it.

Just a little info. re. last night's BookClub meeting:

12 people attended, our highest attendance yet! These were...

Pope Buckfast
    MattKid
    Hazelf
    Lianne
    Sec
    Anne Marie
    Caitriona
    Karl
    Larry
    TristanC
    Damien and
    TristanPeter.

The Time Traveller's Wife seemed to generate a lot more discussion compared with Life of Pi. I know there were less attendees at Life of Pi meeting but still, I think that there were lots of mixed feelings about this week's book. Mainly, was this book a tragedy, a romance or both? I also think that some members were slightly uncomfortable reading about Clare's (the heroine) relationship as a young girl, with Henry, as a much older adult (the hero). The term "grooming" was mentioned a few times. Personally, I didn't have a problem with it in the context of the book but as for other opinions, please let us know just to get an overall feeling about the book.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was as much a tragedy as a romance. I found that the pace of the novel slowed too much for my liking. However, overall I would def reccommend it. Well written and very evocative :)

Oh yeah,

By the way if anyone's interested, go to the Galway Bookclub Facebook group in order to see photos taken by PopeBuckfast (and the very friendly Australian barlady) at last night's BookClub meeting.

MattKid put the link up somewhere further back on this thread. In order to join the group, you have to firstly make yourself a member of the Ireland network.

Facebook link to Galway BookClub

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10312701108

Yesterday I went into the library to get The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime. I was searching for it on the computer in there and I noticed that Paul Howard (think that's his real name) a.k.a. Ros O'Carroll Kelly, brought out a book called...The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress. Brilliant!

I've finished Curious Dog... already (it's a quick read), if anyone wants to snag my copy, ping me.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

Oh I love that book! A spot of bother by the same guy is also very good

• Advertisement

Since you love the book Alison, you should come to our next meeting. You can tell us all why you like it so much:)

Seriously, come along. It's great crack!

Hmm I suppose I'd better start this book soon :eek:

Just finished the book last night. Easy read.

Went to see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Great film. Highly reccommend it.

fock it, I've read it before... I think I'll just go for the gist of wikipedia :p

Fock it is right Hambo! I find it hard to re-read a book myself. When are you going to collect your booooks?

dunno... you up to owt tonight?

Helping karl do some moving and then feeding ducks. You?

wrapping up the moving myself, then TV :)

Bump!

This is on tomorrow night in Bar No 8 on the docks... new members always welcome!

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

BookClub meeting this evening @ 7:30, Bar No. 8. The barlady told me on Saturday night that they have some kind of Elvis impersonator (unless I completely got my wires crossed) on this evening also. Hmmm. Should be fun!

Advertisement