Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

• 22-11-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am about to set up an external antenna to improve my 3G signal.
    However with 4G at the corner, I may as well set up something reasonably future proof.
    Would anybody be able to confirm which type of 3G/4G antenna is suitable for Ireland or even suggest a model?
    I have seen different models on-line but there seems to be huge variations in prices and specs.
    It will need to be sturdy and hard wearing as very exposed.

Thanks in advance,

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

marcel353 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am about to set up an external antenna to improve my 3G signal.
    However with 4G at the corner, I may as well set up something reasonably future proof.
    Would anybody be able to confirm which type of 3G/4G antenna is suitable for Ireland or even suggest a model?
    I have seen different models on-line but there seems to be huge variations in prices and specs.
    It will need to be sturdy and hard wearing as very exposed.

Thanks in advance,

M

Id be interested in this too if you could let me know how you get on :)

coverage in my house is **** unless your at the windows/in the attic, even then the speed has dramatically dropped recently(from 1-3 MB to 0.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

One of these might work - haven't tried one

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3020

have tried a raspberry pi with a 3g dongle stuck in it - worked fine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-RBCA000-1176JZF-S-Motherboard/dp/B008PT4GGC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385419915&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=raspberry+pi%E2%80%8E

You'd still have to get power to them though

Anyone any ideas on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LunaT

mcw92 wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on this?

Hi mcw92, you can take a look at "4G LTE External Antenna (TS9/SMA/CRC9)" from 4Ginthebox.com:
    www(dot)4ginthebox(dot)com/4g-lte-antenna.html
    Support Frequency:
    F: 1880-1900MHZ
    A: 2010-2025MHZ
    E: 2320-2370MHZ
    D: 2500-2690MHZ
    LTE: 698~960MHz /1710~2690MHz
    Gain: 28dBi
    Length: 3M
    Connector Type: TS9/SMA/CRC9 (one connector)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

LunaT wrote: »
    Hi mcw92, you can take a look at "4G LTE External Antenna (TS9/SMA/CRC9)" from 4Ginthebox.com:
    www(dot)4ginthebox(dot)com/4g-lte-antenna.html
    Support Frequency:
    F: 1880-1900MHZ
    A: 2010-2025MHZ
    E: 2320-2370MHZ
    D: 2500-2690MHZ
    LTE: 698~960MHz /1710~2690MHz
    Gain: 28dBi
    Length: 3M
    Connector Type: TS9/SMA/CRC9 (one connector)

Hope this helps!

Dont buy from 4ginthebox whatever you do!
    The quoted modem is on Amazon for £70. that website quotes it at over 230$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Here is a widespread model but I do not have personal experience of it yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-HUAWEI-Router-Mobile-Broadband/dp/B00L57AL10/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409701592&sr=1-1&keywords=4g+antenna (not delivered to Ireland but there is always Parcel Motel)

same model, apparently, on dx.com - much cheaper but a long delivery:

http://www.dx.com/p/w-435-4g-35dbi-gain-antenna-white-277301#.VAZXKmO8E5c

Before your purchase, make sure you order an antenna with the kind of connector that your router/modem has! It is apparently TS9 for the widespread Huawei router but do double check!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

MichaelR wrote: »
    Here is a widespread model but I do not have personal experience of it yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antenna-HUAWEI-Router-Mobile-Broadband/dp/B00L57AL10/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409701592&sr=1-1&keywords=4g+antenna (not delivered to Ireland but there is always Parcel Motel)

same model, apparently, on dx.com - much cheaper but a long delivery:

http://www.dx.com/p/w-435-4g-35dbi-gain-antenna-white-277301#.VAZXKmO8E5c

Before your purchase, make sure you order an antenna with the kind of connector that your router/modem has! It is apparently TS9 for the widespread Huawei router but do double check![/QUOTE

Have used this type of antenna, does boost signal. No 4g signal without it, 3/5 bars with it.

bodonnell wrote: »

Have used this type of antenna, does boost signal. No 4g signal without it, 3/5 bars with it.

Ok so does it work like so.
    I plug one end into the router.
    The other endinto this little box yoke.
    Then Place the little box where ever I have best coverage yes?

mcw92 wrote: »
    Ok so does it work like so.
    I plug one end into the router.
    The other endinto this little box yoke.
    Then Place the little box where ever I have best coverage yes?

Both connectors plug into your device, place the antenna where you get strongest signal, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Both connectors plug into your device, place the antenna where you get strongest signal, simple as

Does both antenna cables plug into wireless router aerial inputs also could this antenna have 30 ft of low loss cable fitted to connect to router.

• Advertisement

ranger4 wrote: »
    Does both antenna cables plug into wireless router aerial inputs also could this antenna have 30 ft of low loss cable fitted to connect to router.

Yes both cables plug into mobile device, in my case Huawei E5372. Don't know about your low loss cable question.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AHireland2k11

[quote

Have used this type of antenna, does boost signal. No 4g signal without it, 3/5 bars with it.[/quote]

Where did you get antenna

That's what I was using. No longer using 4g for broadband as fttc became available.

was it any good?
    I have 2 bars on three 4g

was getting 1-2 bars also, this was good for 20 to 22 mbps, at the time I was just on the perimeter of meteors coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I have that eBay one which I've used in the past for portability. It does make a difference with dongles, wingles and MiFi units, but it's more likely to be a downgrade over the internal antenna in mains-operated Hauwei routers such as the B593. Looks like their 35dBi rating is missing a decimal point. ;)

With my earlier E8278 wingle (USB powered MiFi) using the Meteor 3G network, I had no signal with the wingle on its own no matter where I placed it, a 2 bar signal with that eBay antenna and a 4 bar signal with a directional panel antenna, all in the same spot in the loft aimed out a skylight (with older non e-coated glass.) That wingle didn't give dB signal read-outs.

When I later tried the Huawei B593 router with the Meteor network, it gave a 3 bar signal on the Meteor network in that spot with just its internal antennas. I have no way of attaching the portable antenna to it (antenna has TS9 connections) to compare my current Three 4G setup, but I'm sure if I could, I reckon it would have dropped the signal strength.

Used it with an e572 & b593 with similar results as previously mentioned. I had outside on front wall of the house.

was getting 1-2 bars also, this was good for 20 to 22 mbps, at the time I was just on the perimeter of meteors coverage.

Did it improve signal? I want to get at least 4 bars

For me it improved, no bars with internal antennas 1-2 with external. Obviously your areas 4g coverage will determine how good a signal you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Anybody manage to pick up 4g where they could only get 3g previous to installing an antenna?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

Hi guys,
    I'm just looking into this.

I am in rural Mayo where phone line internet is not an option. The best mobile data provider is 3. On my phone I get 0.5mbps in the house, but when I go 10m out on my lawn (hill) I get 12mbps 4G coverage.

The 3 broadband packages are not unlimited (which is a problem for me). Although I was thinking that I could hook up an external antenna to a phone is ideal my house, top up by 20 euro a month (for unlimited internet) and run this into a decent wireless router.
    Do you think this would be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats what everyone does ;)

Hi Guys,

Im looking at getting this package, could someone with a bit more knowledge than me have a look, thank you :D

Thought it was over expensive, but it includes an unlocked e5186, directional antenna and leads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIMO-Mobile-Broadband-Antenna-Booster-Huawei-E5186-LTE-4G-300MBPS-18dbi-15M-RF24-/272272972488?hash=item3f64bbdac8:g:L0oAAOSwT~9Wio07

£269.99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

thats expensive .
    I would try just the router first ,
    its £176 delivered here

if its no good then get the antenna,

i put in a B315 for my parents over christmas.
    they have had .5 mb dsl for years . , popped in a a sim ,
    with a bit of walking around in the house and shouts of "hold it there" we got a steady 40Mb down and 20Mb up. got 60 down at one point .

Thanks for the info John mac, I ordered the router from that link and will give it a try on its own first.

Thats an incredible increase in speed for your parents!

I'll report back next week when I get it up and running.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Hi all,

A few very basic questions here, hope someone has the patience to answer:

1) If I get an antenna that covers a certain band - e.g for 3g/4g up to CAT 6 I think it is 800-3000MHz - then can that antenna be used with any router? (I'm assuming that even if the physical connection changes TS9/SMA, that an adapter is available.)

2) Is there any plans to have CAT 6 available on any network before I get fibre to the cabinet? (particularly 3 as I'm only 2 miles from their mast and can just see the red light on top of the mast over the inevitable hill from my window) - I'm hoping the antenna will see much more from the gable)

I don't want to buy an Huawei E5186 if the cheaper B315 will cover any reasonable future plans, but would not mind investing in an antenna to cover as many future generations as possible so ...

3) would a good antenna cover all 4G and 5G?

4) In my situation (a borrowed B315 gets a useless 1 bar of 4G in the window, but 5 bars of 3G), are the 5 inch "rabbits ears" and internal antennae that stick to the window a waste of time?

Hey €,

Better I reply here where the others can chime in.

Forget 5G. Nobody knows what frequency/multiplexing will be used by then. We're just now going from cat4 to cat 6 LTEA, CAT 10/12 have to come before NSN/Huawei even discuss 5G over beers.

You need a dipole antenna for 4G but you can use one half for 3G if needs be. I'm no antenna pro but AFAIK no problems there.

CAT6 isn't something a rural dweller needs to worry about, its only gonna be seen in heavily built up areas for now.

Your problem isn't a mast 15km barely making it to you, its a big lump of rock. Id be slow to put money on rabbit ears helping. As before, up up you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    Forget 5G. Nobody knows what frequency/multiplexing will be used by then.
    It's likely to be used in the 700MHz band which will be available from about April 2020 here, when broadcasting has been cleared from the band, and using the APT700 lower duplexer bandplan. 5G is likely to be commercially available from 2020.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    It's likely to be used in the 700MHz band which will be available from about April 2020 here, when broadcasting has been cleared from the band, and using the APT700 lower duplexer bandplan. 5G is likely to be commercially available from 2020.

With the current providers we have you can expect to see a very gradual rollout starting after that point. The new geographic restriction if enacted will also be problematic.

Advertisement